Organic Honey - The Magic Potion
The nutritious golden potion given to us by humble honey bees is more important than you actually think. It is not just sweet, but highly nutritious, and multiplies the goodness of every product it is added to. Honey, is the nectar collected as food, by honey bees which is stored safely in their honeycombs for further use. The vegans out there, need not get worried. Honey bees store, three times of what is required by them for use, making plenty of this golden liquid sweetness available for us too.
However, the worrying trend is the declining number of honeybees, the major pollinators. Studies say our existence itself depends on these little creatures. So be both grateful and highly aware of the rapid environmental changes and contribute your bit to make this world a better place.
Here in this article, we are emphasizing on organic honey. The processed one which is widely available nowadays, has more adulteration than healthy components. So, act wisely and choose pure unadulterated organic honey to boost your health and vitality. Here we will tell you every aspect you need to know about organic honey, and different ways in which it can be used for your benefit. Read along.
Benefits of Organic Honey
The way your food is grown or cultivated has a major influence on your mental and emotional health. It also affects the environment in multiple ways. Organic foods have more beneficial nutrients compared to their counterparts. Eating Organic Honey which is rich in antioxidants, people with allergies to foods, chemicals, or preservatives will find their symptoms and sickness warding off to a great extent. Organic honey is fresher as it does not contain preservatives and is good for the environment.
Raw V/S Organic Honey
A major misconception that comes in one’s mind, is that organic honey and raw honey are the same. Well to break your bubble, they are not. Then the next question to be asked is, what exactly is the difference between raw and organic honey?
Raw honey is the honey that is taken from the beehive, as it is. The honey is attained by extraction, settling, and straining. Most importantly, the honey so obtained will not be heated past pasteurization. The temperature is around 95 degrees. It can also be processed by straining it, so that the bits of beeswax and bee body parts are cleared out. This gives the honey a more liquid consistency, and unless it is overheated, it remains nutritious and healthy.
Honey that is categorized as organic is made from a bee farm that follows the organic livestock standards. These standards ensure that the hives are free of chemicals or located far away from any chemicals present. It is also made sure, that the flowers and plants that the bees will be collecting nectar from, are not sprayed with chemicals and the bees cannot be given antibiotics. Organic honey is also similarly strained as raw honey, and is not heated beyond the degree of pasteurization.
Both organic and raw honey are thick and opaque with a cloudy yellow color, unlike the thin transparent honey that has been overheated. If you cannot get your hands-on organic honey, go for raw. But stay away from adulterated and sugary syrups which are sold in the name of honey. Your first choice shall always be good old organic honey.
How to Determine the Purity of Honey?
The first and foremost thing to do is to read labels. The manufacturers usually mention the additives or additional sweeteners. So, keep a keen eye out before a purchase. In case of a direct purchase or you need to check the purity by yourself, try the following methods.
To test, put a small drop of the honey on your thumb. If it spills around, it is not pure. Pure honey will stay intact as a drop on your thumb.
Fill a glass with water and add one tablespoon of honey into the glass. Adulterated honey will dissolve in water and pure honey, on the other hand, will settle down at the bottom.
Take a dry matchstick and dip its tip right into the honey. Strike the stick on the matchbox to light it. If the honey is pure, the matchstick will light with ease and the flame will keep burning. If not, it means the honey is impure, as moisture is one of the common impurities.
Why Choose Organic Honey Over Others?
In order to get the all-out benefits from honey, it is significant to purchase and use it in its organic form, because regular honey as always, is heavily filtered and processed. It ends up losing most of its nutritional properties along the way for processing and storage. Why use highly processed honey that lacks nutrients, and is filled with impurities? Honey is something that is highly beneficial for your health in many different ways, so in order to make the most of it, always opt for organic honey. It is the best option out there.
Day-to-Day Uses of Organic Honey
Organic honey has many uses in daily life. It is hard to even believe that the harmless fruit nectar collected by tiny insects as food, could do so much good for the humans. It is good for your Skin, health, hair and what not. Here we have listed ten great uses of honey in day to day life, that could be surprising as well as useful.
Honey For Skincare & Haircare
Organic Honey Facepacks
Organic Honey and Sugar face pack
- Use this mask at least twice a week to remove dead skin and for a clearer skin.
- Mix 3 spoons of organic honey with 2-3 spoons of sugar. Mix well and apply it on your face as a mask.
- Leave it to dry for around 10 minutes. Scrub gently while removing it with cold water.
Organic Honey and lemon face pack
- This mask is an excellent remedy for blemishes and acnes.
- Clean your face with lukewarm water. Mix equal portions of organic honey and lemon juice to a bowl and make a paste.
- Apply this as a face pack and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
Organic Honey and Sandalwood face pack
- This pack will give your face softness and brightness.
- Take 4 spoons of sandalwood powder and required amount of organic honey to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste all over your face and neck as a mask. Leave it to dry off for half an hour and gently scrub off with cold water. Wash thoroughly.
Organic Honey and Besan face pack
- This mask is great for a gentle exfoliation of the skin.
- Mix Organic Honey with 4 spoons of Besan to make a thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on your face and let it dry for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly on drying with cold water.
Organic Honey and banana face pack
- This pack is for a glowing and smooth skin.
- Mix organic honey with half a ripe Banana to make it a thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on your face and neck. Let it dry off for 30 minutes. Rinse afterwards with cold water.
Organic Honey Hair Mask
Organic Honey and Olive Oil Hair Mask
- Organic Honey and olive oil hair mask is the best blend to treat your dull, dry, frizzy and damaged hair. It helps retain the scalp moisture and the hair is nourished and conditioned from root to tip.
- Mix ample amount of organic honey and Olive oil. Heat it in a microwave or double boil over water for 30 seconds. Apply the oil and honey mix evenly all over your scalp and hair in circular motion. Let the mask sit for about 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water using a mild shampoo. Repeat twice a week for better results.
Egg and Organic Honey Hair Mask
- This hair mask will not only help combat the problem of dandruff, but also strengthen the hair follicles. It promotes growth of strong and nourished hair.
- Beat 2 whole eggs in a bowl and add enough organic honey to cover your hair, according to length. Mix them two well until a smooth and consistent mix is formed. Massage the egg mixture on to the scalp and roots of the hair and spread evenly all over the head. Let the mask sit for 30 minutes. Rinse it off thoroughly with water followed by a shampoo. Repeat weekly for better results.
Yogurt and Organic Honey Hair Mask
- Yoghurt and organic honey hair mask are an active therapy for dandruff and hair fall. The citric acid present in yoghurt helps in fighting dandruff and rejuvenating the hair while organic honey strengthens and promotes growth of thick and strong hair.
- Mix the one-part yoghurt and half part organic honey in a blender to form a smooth mix. Eyeball the quantity as per the length of your hair. Apply it evenly all over the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash it off with thoroughly with lukewarm water followed by a mild shampoo. Repeat at least once a week.
Coconut Oil and Organic Honey Hair Mask
- Coconut oil is a vigorous agent for hair growth and deep nourishment. It is bursting with vitamins and minerals that are crucial for hair follicles and for the betterment of hair quality and texture. When mixed with organic honey it becomes the ultimate hair mask.
- Mix equal parts of coconut oil and organic honey in a bowl. Eyeball the quantity as per length and thickness of hair. Massage the hair and scalp thoroughly with the blend. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse off the mask with cold water followed by a mild shampoo. Repeat this at least twice a week for desired results.
Aloe Vera and Organic Honey Hair Mask
- Aloe Vera is an excellent ingredient that soothes the scalp and helps fight off dandruff. With organic honey, it will not only help combat the problem of dandruff, soothe and nourish, but also protect the scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and one tablespoon of organic honey together in a bowl to make a smooth paste. Change quantity as per length of hair. Massage the mixture in circular motion all over the hair and scalp. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water using a mild shampoo. Do this at least once a week for desired results.
Organic Honey and Sugar Hair Removal Wax
Honey and sugar hair-removal wax, is often known as body sugaring. It is an Eco-friendly hair remover that is highly effective. Body sugaring helps to keep your skin safe from harmful petroleum-based hair-removal products. It will also put an end to the use of sharp and harmful razors. Body sugaring removes hair for six to eight weeks, and the hair that grows back is less coarse and thinner than the original hair.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Lemon juice
- Cotton cloth strips
- Popsicle stick
- Soft towel
- Airtight container
- Cut pieces of cotton fabric into strips 1 to 1.5 inches wide. Set the strips aside while you prepare the sugar and honey solution.
- Place 1 cup granulated white sugar and 1/4 cup honey microwave friendly bowl or a sauce pan. Cut a fresh lemon in half and squeeze the entire juice into the mixture. Stir the mixture well.
- Place the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for two to three minutes. Stir after removing and let it cool.
- If over stove, place the saucepan on medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove the mixture from the heat, and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Wash the area to be waxed, and pat dry using a soft towel. Use a Popsicle stick or a plastic spatula that you receive with hair removal creams or anything available to spread a thin, even coating of the sugar and honey mixture over the area. Apply in the direction of hair growth.
- Smooth over it, a strip of cotton fabric. Then rub the fabric with your fingers. Repeat two or three times. Rub in the direction of hair growth.
- Allow the body sugaring solution to cool and harden. Hold the surrounding skin taut with one hand, and pull the strip quickly in the opposite direction of hair growth. Repeat as needed.
- Store any remaining sugar and honey mixture in a clean, airtight container.
- Rewarm for further use by placing the container in hot water.
Honey for Better Health
Organic Honey to Fight Cold
Organic Honey for Burns
Organic Honey for Weight-Loss
Organic Honey as Sugar Substitute
Organic Honey for Skin diseases
Organic Honey for Sound Sleep
Organic Honey In Yummy Recipes
Organic honey can also be used to make lip-smacking dishes. Here is a recipe for you to try.
- Chicken breasts - 2
- A lemon - half
- Organic honey – 1 tablespoon
- Dark soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Organic Honey for Skin diseases
- Salt – As per taste
- Take the 2 chicken breasts, skin side up in a small baking dish and season with salt as per taste.
- Squeeze the lemon into a mixing bowl and add in the organic honey and soy sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Tuck the squeezed-out half of lemon between the pieces for additional flavor.
- Roast the chicken breasts in a baking dish, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven. The temperature shall be 190C/gas 5/fan oven 170C.
- Cook until done by pouring over the juices oozing out at least twice in between.
- Serve with salad or potatoes roasted with your favorite herbs and garlic.
Top Organic Honey Brands
Here are our top five picks of Organic Honey available in the online market. Eat wisely, live well. That is our new Tagline!
Pure & Sure Organic Honey
It is 100 percent certified organic honey that is sourced from certified organic beekeepers from all over the country. It is free from adulterants and has natural flavor to soothe your taste buds and health. Api-culture is done without the use of any chemicals, pesticides or insecticides and the bees are cultivated with controlled organic farming practices. It is available at www.amazon.in at a price of Rs. 149 for 250 grams.
Rose Petals Honey
This special honey is a Love booster. Regular uses of rose petals honey claims to increase your Love quotient. It uplifts the mood and is also a delicious and attractive topping for desserts. Enjoy a spoonful when you feel anxious or upset, and indulge yourself in health and happiness. The rose in the honey is highly therapeutic for skin. This pure and natural product from nature is available to you from www.honeybasket.in at the price of Rs.425.
Organic Honey Wild Forest
Organic India Honey Wild Forest is a 100 % Natural and Organic Certified product. It is smooth, fragrant and irresistibly delicious and at the same time is a natural source of energy. Organic Honey is naturally whole with healthy minerals and nutrients. Organic Honey tends to crystallize. Liquify the honey by placing the bottle in warm water. Do not refrigerate. Purchase this product from www.organicindia.com at the price of Rs. 195.
Organica Organic Forest Honey
This rare honey is collected by wild honey from the nectar of Himalayan flowers. It has a complex, extremely rich and lingering woody aroma. This honey sourced from the Himalayas, is as pure as nature has created it. It can be used as a natural sweetener and is a healthy substitute for sugar. Purchase this product from www.amazon.in at Rs. 299.
24 Mantra Organic Wild Honey
It is a highly pure organic honey, that is completely free of artificial sugars and adulterants. It is jam-packed with health benefits. Purchase 500 grams of this honey from www.amazon.in at Rs.289 only.
Embark on a Healthy Journey by Making Organic Honey a Part of Your Life in 2019
Organic Honey is indeed, one of the healthiest products of nature. Rich with anti-oxidants and many vitamins and minerals, organic honey can be used in so many ways. So, make Organic Honey a part of your life and bring good health right at the core.