Before we Start, Some Tips for Making Cake Toppers
How To Stick Cake Toppers Properly?
Cake toppers are of many different kinds. Some of them are decorative while some of are them are just pictures. You can either order a cake topper online or from a bakery. You can even choose to make one yourself. However, sticking it on the cake can be a little tricky.
If you are ordering a cake topper, then make sure to let it be in the plastic bag only. If you have made the cake topper in advance, then store it in a plastic bag or a container. Just let it out of the bag or container 20 minutes before it goes on the cake. Let it dry before applying it to the cake.
If your cake is a little dry, then dampen it. Add a little moisture on the cake with pastry brush or fine mist. Although, do not over wet it. Then, remove your cake topper and stick it on the cake. If you have ordered the topper online, then make sure to peel the sheet carefully.
Make Cake Toppers with Buttercream
You will find both edible and non-edible cake toppers. Both will enhance the aesthetic value of your cake. You can make them yourself. If you are creative, then you can directly draw a picture on the cake with buttercream icing, royal icing or piping gel, too. If you are not that confident enough, then there are some different methods that you can use.
All you have to do is create royal icing images, buttercream transfer or a chocolate image to create copies that you like. Even if you are a beginner, you will easily be able to master these techniques. Just find an image from the internet. Save the picture and then just resize it. Next, print it and put it on the back of the cookie sheet. Tape the plastic wrap on the picture and then start the icing.
Use The Freezer Or The Oven Method
There are various different methods of applying edible cake toppers on your cake. One of them is the freezer method. Once your edible cake topper is prepared, put it in the dry freezer for 10-15 minutes before applying. The icing will freeze and you can remove the back sheet easily.
Make sure to apply the cake topper on the cake as soon as it defrosts. Do not keep the cake topper in the wet freezer for a very long time. If you do not have the dry freezer, you can just keep it in the wet freezer but just for 5 minutes. If it is kept for a longer period of time, then picture might not come out from the backing at all.
Apart from the freezer method, there is also an oven method that exists. All you will have to do is place the cake topper in the oven with a temperature of 50 to 60 degrees. Just leave it there for 1 to 2 minutes. Then, the topper will be ready to use. However, do not increase the temperature as the paper might crumble and your topper will be damaged beyond repair.
Everything You Can Use to Decorate Your Cake
There are a lot of things that can be used to decorate your cake. The best thing to do is to top the cake with edible flowers. It gives a fresh and romantic look to your cake. Add flowers like marigolds, pansies and nasturtiums. However, place them on the cake before you serve it or else they might wilt.
If you are not very creative, then drizzle your cake with ganache. Just randomly drizzling it on the top and sides can create a dramatic look for you. It will look amazing on a frosted cake. Apart from that, even the coloured sprinklers will look amazing on the cake.
You can also use fresh fruit as cake toppers. Use small berries like raspberries and blueberries. Even strawberries and kiwi will look good on the cake. You can get creative and press pocky sticks on the sides. Press them lightly around the cake to create a tall tower as it will look extra glamorous.
9 Cake Toppers That You Can Try Making at Home
Confetti Cake Topper
Confetti cake toppers will look good on pastries and cupcakes as well. It is very simple to make these yet gives a great look on the cake. As a beginner also, you can attempt this tutorial.
- Parchment paper
- Confetti shreds
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Lay the parchment paper and start drawing a shape. You can go for geometric shapes or even animals. The choice is yours.
- Remember that you have to draw with a glue gun.
- You can always have a template to trace with the pencil.
- When the glue is hot, insert the toothpick in it.
- Then, do one more round with glue and dump all the confetti on it.
- Look for some left patches too. Then, flip the figure and repeat.
- And, then pick it up and prick the toothpick in the cake. This is a non edible cake topper.
Tissue Tassel Garland Cake Topper
If you like a minimalistic look, then you will like this DIY cake topper as well. It is basic and simple. Also, it will not take so much of your time as well. Thus, try this next time you bake a cake.
- Tissue paper of your favorite colours
- Gold or silver mylar sheets (aka. metallic tissue sheets)
- Fringe Scissors
- Regular scissors
- Tacky glue
- Twine or embroidery thread
- 1/4″ balsa dowel or the like
- Cut 18 inches of twine or embroidery threads to hold the tassels. However, once you have cut the threads, tie them directly or else they will fray.
- Take a scrap paper and mark one inches in a straight line to evenly distribute the tassels.
- Use the fringe scissors and cut the tissue paper three times in a row. Then cut the top with a regular scissor.
- Gather as many mini-strips as you can.Then, twist the stripes twice.
- Apply a small dab of glue in the centre and then tie it with the twine or embroidery.
- Pinch the tassel with a clothespin so that you can hold it together while drying.
- Then, continue making the tassels in the same way and use a clothes pin to hold them.
- Repeat the steps and then leave it dry for an hour.
- Then, take the string and your garland is ready.
- Cut two 12 inches of dowel and stand the edges nicely.
- Wrap the garland on the dowel two to three times.
- Then, just place it on your cake.
You can make some heart-shaped sparkly toppers. They are a great way to make your cake look fancy. You can also customise them based on numbers, letters and even shapes.
- Pipe cleaners
- Wooden skewers
- Take the pipe cleaner and bend it in whatever shape you like. Heart shape will work the best on any occasion.
- Leave a longer tail in the end of the shape.
- Take the wooden skewer and cut it 2.5 inches long.
- The skewer needs to go inside the cake while the star has to go in the skewer. So, make sure the lengths are appropriate.
- Make more pieces using the same procedure.
- Next, arrange them according to your taste on the cake.
Flowers look pretty on cake. You can make the edible ones. However, paper flowers look equally good, as well. They work well on cupcakes, too. These can be customised in any colour.
- Basic cupcake liners in three sizes (jumbo, standard and mini)
- Spray paint in your choice of colour
- Tacky Glue or anything similar
- Twine or string (if you want to make them into a garland)
- Hole punch
- Lay the cupcake liner flat on the table.
- Add several coats of spray paint colour.
- Make sure to use cupcake liners of each size.
- Let the spray paint dry.
- Assemble the flowers by putting a dab of glue on the largest cupcake liner. Layer the medium sized and the smaller one on top of each other, accordingly.
- While the glue is wet, grab the liner from the back and pinch it together. Then, set it aside and let it dry.
- Once they are dry, give them a good fluffing.
- Then, start setting the flowers on top of the cake as per your desire.
Chocolate Ball Cake Topper
This is an edible cake topper. It is very simple one and thus, you will have no hassle with it. You should try this one, if you are a beginner.
- White chocolate balls (you can use any chocolate)
- Food decorator pens
- Make sure you chocolate balls are good and cold. You can make them or get them ready made as well.
- Insert the skewers in the chocolate balls.
- Then, take the pens and draw designs on them.
- Stick the completed toppers on the cake.
- Make sure to add a bunch of them on your cake.
Edible Flower Cake Topper
These flowers will surely add a lot of beauty to your cake. You can even bring a store bought cake and add these flowers on it. It will really look very pretty. Also, these are edible flowers so you can even eat them.
- Fresh pineapple
- Basic kitchen items
- Just cut the pineapples.
- Make sure they are thin. Also, cut the round of the pineapple from between so that it looks like a flower.
- Then, decorate the cake with the toppers. The beauty of these toppers is that every flower will look different.
- This will go on cakes like white forest and vanilla.
Pom Pom Cake Topper
If you are baking a cake for a birthday party, then you can choose this pom pom cake topper. They are fun to make and they look very festive. At the same time, they are very easy to make as well.
- Tissue paper (any color)
- 2-inch circle craft punch
- Sewing needle
- Thread (preferably in similar colour as tissue paper)
- 4 to 5-inch lollipop sticks OR wooden skewers cut to size
- Double-sided tape
- Fold or layer the tissue papers and then punch out 2 inches of circles using the craft punch. Make sure to have 16 to 18 layers.
- You will require 30 circles per cake topper.
- Double thread the needle and double knot the ends. Then sew through the stack of 30 round papers.
- Double knot the thread on the opposite side and then cut the extra thread.
- Cut 8 evenly spaced spokes.
- Then, stick the wooden sticks using the double tapes.
- Use your fingers to separate the tissue layers. Alos, cut the necessary sections to add the fluff.
- Continue making other pieces. Decorate on the cake.
Paper Straw And Tissue Paper Candles
There are a lot of creative ways to decorate your cakes and cupcakes. All you need to do is think outside the box.
- Paper straws, color and pattern of your choice
- Yellow tissue paper
- Optional glitter
- Cut the straws in half.
- Cut the yellow tissue paper in squares. Keep the size 3 x 3 inches.
- If you want you can add glitter to the edges of your squares.
- Take the paper and then, just scrunch it from the middle so that it looks like a flame.
- Stick the scrunch on the top of the straw.
- Make various straws like these and decorate your cake with it.
- Use different colours and patterns of straws.
Pink Flamingo Cake Topper
If you want to go a little fancy, then opt for these flamingo cake toppers. They will look amazing. Also, they are pretty easy to make. Just make sure to follow the instructions properly.
- Pink Cardstock
- Pink feathers
- Paper marker
- Light pink paper
- Hot glue gun
- Cut the pink paper in the shape of flamingos. You can use a template for the same.
- You need two cut outs for each cake topper so count accordingly.
- Draw the face of the flamingo using a black marker pen.
- Attach the front with the face and the plain back of the flamingo on the skewer.
- Stick the pink feather on the front with a hot glue gun.
- Decorate the pieces on your cake.
Try To Keep It Simple As Less Is Always More!
The most common mistake that most people make is that they pour in every idea on the top of their cakes. They think it is a nice idea to add sprinkle, chocolates, candies, cake pops and even fruits and flowers on the cake! The outer surface of the cake is like canvas of an artist! It will show the soul and taste of the creator. Choose one topper with respect to the occasion, preference of the guests and your personal choice and stick to it. Try to make it work around the overall theme of the cake i.e. the colour and the flavour of the cake. Keep it simple to impress your guests more!