What Are Cake Pops?
Cake Pops are little sweet treats which looks like a lollipop. It basically is cake in a round shape put on a lollipop or a chocolate stick making it extremely easy to eat in one bite!
They look wonderful and taste great. It is a delicacy which is fun to make and can be quirked up with various recipes and edible decor, making it a delight!
These days, you can find it anywhere, from bakeries to parties, it is a quick snack to binge on, especially for the ones with a sweet tooth. A sweet delicacy is usually made from leftover cakes. So in case, you had a party which finished with an unfinished cake, then you can always convert them into cake pops the next day!
These days there are so many flavours out there, and a lot of experimentation can be done when it comes to the flavours, texture and look of your cake pops.
Your Guide to Make Cake Pops
Wondering how to make those little balls filled with sweetness? Well, we’ve got you covered as we have listed down the ingredients needed and steps you need to follow to create the perfect cake pops.
Even though the ingredients for every cake pop recipe would depend on the flavours you are creating and your frosting ideas, but there are some basic ingredients which are needed for any cake pop. If you will be creating cake pops from the scratch, then the ingredients needed can be put into three categories: Ingredients for cake (which would vary on the flavour), Ingredients for Frosting, Vegetable oil and Lollipop Sticks.
In case you’re planning on creating cake pops with Leftover cake, then here are the ingredients you’d be needing: Leftover Cake crumbs, Frosting of your choice, Sprinkles, Lollipop sticks.
People usually think that making cake pops involves a difficult process, but that’s actually not true. We’ve listed down the steps involved in making a cupcake when you’re making it using leftover cake. In case you are starting from scratch, you’d have to begin by making your own cake and then follow the steps given below.
- Crumble the Cake: Take the leftover cake, and crumble it into fine pieces in a large bowl. You could do this either by using a processor or your hands. Ideally, you should crumble the cake using your hands since it results in finer pieces. Once the cake is crumbled, add some frosting to it and start mixing it with a wooden spoon. Ideally, start by adding the frosting in lesser quantities as too much of it might ruin the mixture. Make sure you have an evenly textured mixture at the end of it. The mixture needs to be moist enough for it to remain set and hold its shape.
- Roll the Balls and let them Set: Once the mixture is ready, take some of it on your palm, and try to form a perfectly shaped ball of it using your hands. Once rolled, place them on a baking sheet and then let them set by putting them into the refrigerator for thirty minutes.
- Create your Frosting: While the cake balls are setting up in the refrigerator, you can start working on the frosting. For your frosting to set, you’d need a coating of chocolate on which you can then add the final touches. Depending upon the flavour you’re creating, you can opt for brown chocolate, white chocolate or other. Also set up other elements you’d be adding to decorate your cake pops, like chocolate chips or sprinkles. Melt the chocolate, and when it’s almost ready, get your cake balls out of the refrigerator. Now, take lollipop sticks, and dip the one end of the stick till half an inch into the melted chocolate and then stick it halfway through the cake ball. Be extra careful with this and do not put a lot of pressure or pierce it too deep as that might fall the cake ball apart. Put them back into the freezer and let them set for another 20 minutes.
- Final Touches: Once the ball is completely set, dip each of the cake balls into the melted chocolate to create a coated layer. Remove the excess coating and ensure it is evenly spread. You could also add some decorations through sprinkles or sugar, or other details you have in mind.
- Let it Set: Once done, let it dry and set completely before you serve them.
And voila, your cake pops are ready!
10 Unique Cake Pop Flavours with Quick Recipes
Now that you know the basics to create the perfect cake pops, here are some unique flavours that you can create for a perfect sweet indulgence. You can choose which flavour to opt for depending upon the occasion, people you are making it for and their taste preferences and how much you’re willing to experiment.
Chocolate Cheesecake Pops
The rich and creamy texture of cheesecake allows you to make the perfect cheesecake pops. It’s a great cake pop flavour to opt for because of its sumptuous flavours. Quick and easy to make, but decadently rich flavours is what a chocolate cheesecake pops offer.
All you need to do is create crumbles of your leftover cheesecake with a regular frosting, dip it in milk or dark chocolate, and add some final touches by drizzling some caramel sauce on top, and your chocolate cheesecake pops would be ready.
Cinnamon Roll Pops
If you’re someone who likes your dry cakes better than the creaminess of the regular cakes, then we’d suggest for you to opt for Cinnamon Roll cake pops for a similar texture.
Moreover, if you’d been struggling with the first step of making regular cake pops of getting your dough right and shaping it fine, then cinnamon cake pops would be a good starting point.
This is because to make cinnamon cake rolls, all you need is some cinnamon rolls and a non-stick pan. Just toss the rolls in a non-stick pan, insert the stick, and add some minimum icing on top, and your cinnamon roll pops on the go would be ready!
Oreo Cake Pops
We all know how much people love the combination of oreo and milk. To create that same flavour in the form of a cake pops, all you need to do is add the final coating of white chocolate.
If you would love to add more chocolate to the goodness of Oreos, then you can coat it with milk chocolate.
The secret to making the perfect Oreo Cake pops is to roll the oreo cheesecake batter with a lot of chocolate, to create oreo cake pops which are rich in texture and filled with flavours of chocolate.
Red Velvet Pops
Red Velvet cake in itself offers a pretty exquisite blend of flavours, and you could keep it as it is while creating cake pops with a white chocolate frosting.
However, if you’re in the mood to experiment, you could actually use a cheesecake frosting. This might take longer to set, and might be a little tricky to handle so make sure you get the consistency right. But once ready, you will be tasting rich red velvet cake blended in a cheesecake frosting, making it all worth the effort.
Marble Cake Pops
Marble cakes are cakes made with a combination of two different flavours blended together, giving it a marble looking texture. There are some classic Marble cake combinations like Strawberry and Chocolate, Vanilla and Chocolate, Orange and Chocolate among others. Once ready, these would not only look great but taste amazing too. Make sure you try this one out.
Bailey's Irish Cream
Well, one could also go an extra mile while making cake pops by creating some spiked ones, if for an all adult party or get together. Yes, you read that right. There are various spiked versions of cake pops which can be easily made like Spiked Margarita, Spiked Pink Lemonade and so many others!
If you all love the flavour of that coffee in the version of Baileys then we’d recommend you go for Bailey’s Irish Cream cake pops.
All you need to do is add some Bailey’s to your butter cake batter and the rest of the steps stay intact. And then, you can enjoy your spiked Bailey’s Irish Cream Cake Pops.
Strawberry Cake Pops
Trust us, this one is going to be a saviour in the scorching summer heat. It would give you that fruity flavour in a bite and would be very easy and light to eat.
You could dip in it dark chocolate, to create that nostalgic chocolate and strawberry combination. If you’re not into that combination, then you could also alternatively go for white chocolate, which also works wonderfully with the flavour and fruitiness of strawberries.
Another secret ingredient that you could add to create delicious strawberry cake pops, is finely chopped fresh strawberries to add that juiciness to the chilled cake pops.
Brownie Cake Pops
Everyone loves that thick and super creamy texture of a brownie. Just make sure that while making Brownie Cake Pops, you use fudgy brownie to crumble and create the mix, instead of creating crumbles of a chocolate cake, to get the flavour and texture right. Then you could finish by dipping it into dark luscious chocolate and adding some final sprinkles.
Classic Vanilla Pop
White on white is a thing, even with cake pops. If you love your classic vanilla cake, then you must make classic vanilla pops to serve your sweet tooth.
You can try different things while decorating your vanilla cake pop where you could either keep it minimal with a bare white chocolate coating, or keep it simple with a classic brown chocolate coating with a vanilla cake filling, or if you want to take it to another level, you could experiment with coloured sprinkles or edible glitters.
Rainbow Cake Pop
Not only do they look great, but also taste delicious! And they, of course, works wonder on kids. To make this, use a rainbow cake to create your inside crumbles, and coat it with white chocolate, which could allow the eater to unravel a mystery through a rainbow-hued cake. And for final touches, decorate with coloured sprinkles.
This one is going to be a delight to see and eat, make sure you try this one out.
Bonus Tip: Follow These Tricks to Get the Perfect Cake Pops
Even though cake pops are pretty easy to make, yet missing out on some simple steps could result in a disaster. Which is why we’ve listed down few easy tips which would make sure that your Cake Pops are absolutely Perfect:
- Make sure you make the Cake Balls of the right size. Do not make them too big or too small. If they are too big, then there are more chances of it falling apart.
- When you dip your cake pops into the melted chocolate, do not tap the stick on the bowl too hard to get rid of that extra chocolate since the ball could fall into the chocolate. Rather, be patient with it and twirl the chocolate around, which would help you get rid of that extra chocolate.
- Do not rush the process, because it could ruin everything for you and you’d have to start all over again. Instead, stay patient the first time and let your cake pop set, because once it sets on the stick, the entire thing will be in place.
Do not add heavy decorations to cake pops or gravity will kick in and they will fall off the stick. Flowers like the ones below are great. Sanding sugar, tiny sugar pearls and/or jimmies (sprinkles) are perfect decorations to add. Also, add decorations such as sanding sugar, sprinkles, and sugar pearls at the right time or everything will slide off and mess up your nice candy coating. Flowers can be added later on or right away. Have fun experimenting with your design and going as elaborate or as simple as you want! There are so many fun ways you can jazz these pops up! So go ahead, have some fun!