Making Cakes in Pressure Cooker is Easy
Baking a cake might seem like a challenging process - a preparation that requires specific kitchen tools such as the oven. However, you would be amazed to know that any cake recipe can be made even in the pressure cooker. There is no different recipe for the cake in the pressure cooker and it is all the same as you do in the oven. Let us further simplify the process for you by telling you few tips for making a cake in a pressure cooker and then a step by step guide for making a chocolate cake in the pressure cooker.
Tips Before Starting the Cooking
We start right away with few valuable tips before starting with the recipe for yum chocolate cake.
Cooker is for Simple Cake Recipe
If you have decided to give cake in cooker recipe a try then select a simple recipe at first. When baking the cake in a cooker, you do not have sophisticated features such as digital temperature display etc. It is all about getting hang of it and used to identify the right temperature, time of cooking etc. Starting with a relatively easy recipe will let you take time and understand all above-mentioned gradations of baking cake in a pressure cooker
Take out Whistle and Gasket from the Cooker before Baking
So this step is required as you are not using water in the pressure cooker. Remove both rubber insulation from the lid and whistle before starting the baking process. Remember, we use water for steaming the food and cake requires baking rather than steaming. Since no steaming is required therefore we take out the whistle and gasket of the cooker. However, this method is right if you are using an aluminum or stainless steel stovetop cooker.
Stand at the Bottom of the Cooker is a Must
Most of the pressure cookers nowadays come with the stand at the bottom. The stand is kept at the bottom to ensure that heat is distributed evenly. As a result, your cake would be baked evenly and perfectly. In case you do not have the stand then getting a substitute like a thick steel plate would be ideal for making a recipe of cake in a pressure cooker.
No Water in the Pressure Cooker
It is important to understand the difference between steaming and baking something in the cooker. While baking a cake in a cooker, you should not put water. Just like whistle and gasket water is also used in the cooker to steam the food rather than baking it. Moreover, since you already have taken out the whistle and the gasket, steaming something would not be possible and therefore adding water in the cooker would be dangerous. We will now move towards our recipe where you will learn how to make a soft and spongy chocolate cake in the pressure cooker.
No Egg No Bake Soft Chocolate Cake in a Pressure Cooker
For a very long egg has been an integral part of all the baking recipes but gradually people have discovered other substitutes of the egg. Similarly, baking a cake without an oven was considered as impossible unless pressure cookers started to be seen as a potential substitute for the ovens. Okay, so now you have got a substitute for eggs like baking soda, vinegar, unsweetened Apple sauce etc for providing that softness. Then, we have a cooker for baking the cake and just a few steps will give you a perfectly baked cake. Now, if you are thinking that next, we are going to tell you the substitute for chocolate, then who needs a substitute for one of the most loved food on the earth. So, now that we have the main ingredients at our disposal let’s understand step by step process of making a cake in the cooker.
Step by Step Guide to Making Cake in a Cooker
- Start with Selecting a Substitute for Egg:Like we mentioned there are various substitutes of the egg. You can mix one tablespoon of vinegar and baking soda each to put in the cake.
- Take 1 Cup of all-purpose flour in a bowl, a pinch of salt and 100 gms Sugar: Start with greasing the pan and then put all-purpose flour, salt and 100 gms of sugar in it. Mix all three ingredients well with a spoon or the wired whisk and keep it aside. You can adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste. However, if you are planning on icing the cake then be a little careful in adding sugar.
- Mix Oil, Cocoa and unsalted butterTake another pan and mix oil, cocoa and unsalted butter in that. Take 30 grams of unsalted butter, 20 grams of cocoa powder and ¼ cup of oil. Also for a fine mixture, add ½ cup of water. Put the pan on a low flame and keep mixing all three ingredients gently. With the heat, butter would start melting and cocoa powder would start dissolving into it. Once the entire powder dissolves, the mixture would become smooth and free from any lumps. Stir continuously so there is no formation of a lump in the mixture.
- Pour the chocolate mixture in the flour mixture: Once the chocolate mixture comes to boil on low to medium flame, take it off the flame and pour immediately in the flour mixture. Mix flour and chocolate mixture lightly and keep it aside.
- Take a Cooker with the depth between 3 and 5 litres : Having a standard size of cooker somewhere between 3 and 5 litres ensures that the baking time taken is not too much. If you are choosing the cooker which has more than 5 litres capacity then the time taken for baking might increase. You will not get the idea of duration up to which the cake should be baked in large capacity cookers. Mid capacity cookers anywhere between 3 and 5 litres would make sure that it takes somewhere between 35-45 minutes in baking the cake in a pressure cooker for that perfect bake.
- Preheat the cooker and add a layer of salt evenly : Salt is a very good conductor of heat and therefore spreading in the base of the cooker would ensure even heat across the pan. Once, you have layered the cooker base with salt, put the cooker on low flame. On the top of the salt, put the aluminum or steel stand for keeping the baking pan above that. Like we discussed that if you do not have the stand then a thick steel plate would also be fine for cake in pressure cooker recipe.
- Mix vinegar, curd, baking soda and vanilla extract: While the pressure cooker is heating evenly, take a small bowl and add a teaspoon of vinegar, baking soda and vanilla extract. Mix it well and pour the slurry in the flour mix. Mix the entire content well and pour it in the baking pan gently.
- Tap the Greased Pan with Mixture: This is one of the most important steps and therefore do not skin it. The light tapping of the pan after pouring the mixture is done so that the air bubbles in the mixture are released. There would be no change in the taste of the cake because of these air bubbles. However, the baked cake will have holes which do not look pleasing and give a very amateur touch to the entire baking process.
- Put the Container onto the stand : Remember that the cooker is heated by now and therefore be extra careful when lowering the mixture pan in it. We would recommend you to use the baking gloves preventing hands from burning during the entire process. Close the lid of the cooker after removing the whistle and the gasket from it.
- Bake it on low flame for 35-45 minutesIt will take around 30 to 45 minutes to get the perfect bake of the cake. However, the baking time will also depend on the capacity of your cooker. As discussed, it is best to use the cooker with the capacity of somewhere between 3 and 5 litres.
- Check the cake with a toothpickAfter 45 minutes, open the lid and insert a toothpick in the cake. Take the toothpick out to see if the batter is sticking to it. In case the batter is sticking to the toothpick, you need to bake the cake for a few more minutes. If the toothpick comes out clear, then the baking process is done and it’s time to put away the cooker from the flame.
- Chocolate frosting on the cake: Now, this step has a recipe of its own which you would need to follow religiously for that beautiful frosting on the top of the cake. The ingredients are not different for what we used for a recipe for the cake in a pressure cooker. To start, take soft butter and cocoa and whip it really well. Add vanilla and powdered sugar gradually and keep whipping. To ensure the right consistency make sure to add the stream of milk slowly. Once all the ingredients are mixed well keep whipping it for 2-3 minutes continuously until it gets light and fluffy. In case you are not happy with the consistency of the frosting, add little more powdered sugar to thicken it or some milk to make it thin.
- Cool it a bit and it’s ready to be served:Spread the frosting on the cake and let it cool for some time. Once the entire cake gains good shape, cut it into small edible sized and it is ready to be served.
Bonus Recipe – No Bake Cucumber Cake In Pressure Cooker
Now that you have already learned how to make a cake in the pressure cooker, why not try yet another healthy and quick cake recipe. However, there is a bit of twist as you need to steam this cake rather than baking it. Obviously, pressure cooker can do both steaming and baking just perfect. So, let’s get started. About this cake recipe, it is a very healthy recipe and all the ingredients are easily available at home or can be sourced locally. Moreover, you can keep the cake in the fridge and serve it for 1-2 weeks.
Take the Following Ingredients in the Said Measure:
- 1.5 cups Jaggery powder
- ¾ Cup grated coconut
- 1.5 cup semolina
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms
- ¼ tablespoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoon chopped cashews
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
And finally 1 large grated cucumber. Take the cucumber which is slightly ripe with yellowish skin.
Wash and Grate the Cucumber
Thoroughly wash and cut the cucumber taking seed out of it. Thereafter, grate the cucumber and keep it aside. After giving some rest, you would notice a lot of cucumber juice. This juice can be added in the batter later.
Roast Semolina in a Pan
Roast semolina in a pan and keep it aside for cooling down. Make sure that the semolina is not undercooked or overcooked as the consistency is very crucial for the taste of the cucumber cake.
Mix the Ingredients
Take a mixing bowl and add grated cucumber, semolina, jiggery powder chopped cashews and grated coconut. Mix thoroughly and add cumin and cardamom powder on the top of it. The final batter should have medium consistency and no lump formation. In case the batter is too thick, you can add some milk.
Heat the Pressure Cooker
Heat 3 to 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker and keep it ready. Put the batter in the baking pan and lower it in the cooker.
Put the Container in the Cooker
Remove the whistle and rubber gasket from the lid of the cooker and place it on the cooker. This will start the steaming process and it has to continue till 30 to 40 minutes.
Insert a toothpick or a knife to check if the batter is cooked entirely. Once done, take out the pan and put the cake aside to let it cool. Cut the cake into edible sizes and serve it. The above measures of the ingredients for making a cucumber cake are ideal for serving 3-4 people. You can add and reduce the ingredients in the same proportion depending on the number of people to serve. For the entire preparation, it will take somewhere around 15-20 minutes. Another, 40-45 minutes would be required to bake the cake nicely.
Take Care while Using Pressure Cooker
A pressure cooker is not meant for baking or using in the manner described above so consider that before using it to make a cake. We don’t expect the pressure cooker will burst into pieces while cooking (I was very worried about this though, without reason) but it may compromise the quality of the safety valve on the lid and the high heat may cause the handle and other parts to deteriorate a bit. Always check the manufacturer's instructions to make sure your make and model of pressure cooker can handle this.