7 Essential Things to do Before You Start Your Baking Adventure!
- The foremost thing before you start baking is to find a good recipe and read it. It is normal to skim through it thinking you know the basics, but a baker should know how to read a recipe precisely from the start till the end. This will help you understand all the steps and gathering all the ingredients you need.
- The second tip is to know your oven. There are lots of ovens, and each one needs different settings for baking different cakes. You need to know the settings, temperature, among other details perfectly before you put in your cake in it to get a perfectly baked cake.
- Each cake requires different ingredients at different temperatures. As we said, baking is a science; therefore, if it says you need room temperature butter or chilled eggs, you need to use them as mentioned. Using room temperature ingredients is best because it is easier to mix them.
- Measuring your ingredients as per the recipe is important. Measuring dry ingredients is different than measuring liquid ingredients. For dry ingredients, you need to scoop it in your measuring cup and tap across the surface and level it for the exact amount.
- For liquid ingredients, you need to pour them in a clear measuring cup and then pour it in the mixing bowl. Always check for expiration dates before you use any ingredients.
- Always gather your ingredients in one place before baking to avoid getting confused or wasting time after you start mixing them. It will make life a lot easier.
- Know how to and how much mixing the ingredients need. Don't over mix them or some goodies like muffins, biscuits, or pancake dough can get hard and won't bring out the desired dish.
Don't Have An Oven? Here's How You Can Use a Pressure Cooker!
You can bake a cake or other things in an oven or a microwave, but if you don't have either one, then you can bake a perfect cake in a pressure cooker as well. Here is how you can bake it in a pressure cooker.
- Get a baking pan according to the recipe. You can find pans in metal, Pyrex glass, or silicone, but it should be able to fit in your pressure cooker.
- Get a pressure cooker of at least 3 liters, but a 5 liter would be a good size to bake as you can fit almost all pans in it.
- Remove the gasket and the whistle from the pressure cooker, and don't add any water in it for baking. You can use a wire rack as well.
- Put 300 g of salt and spread it evenly in the bottom; it will insulate the cooker and bake the cake well.
- Preheat the pressure cooker before putting in the batter. You will need to place the lid on the cooker and heat it on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix your ingredients as per the recipe and pour it in a pan. Lower the pan in the cooker and put the lid on.
- Turn the flame to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, and you will see the cake rising immediately.
- Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes and check it by inserting a toothpick to see if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean, turn the heat off; if not, cook again for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan and let it cool. Use gloves to remove it to prevent your hands from getting a burn.
How to Make Cake at Home: 6 Easy Cake Recipes
A pound cake is one of the most basic cakes you can make at home and it tastes wonderful with tea.
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened (455 g)
- 3 ½ cups granulated sugar (700 g)
- 6 large whole eggs
- 6 large egg yolks(these 6 egg yolks are in addition to the 6 whole eggs listed above)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (438 g)
How to Make
- Start with preheating your oven to 350 F.
- Take a 10-inch tube pan or 12 cup bundt pan and grease it then sprinkle some flour on it and keep it aside.
- Put butter in a large bowl and use an electric mixer or a stand mixer to beat it till it is creamy and smooth
- Add sugar to it and beat it well till it gets light and fluffy.
- Take another bowl and put in eggs, egg yolks, salt, and vanilla extract in it.
- Lightly beat the eggs and salt together.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture in your butter mix and beat on low speed. Don't pour in all the egg mixture in at once; try doing it in 6 parts. After pouring in all the mixture, increase the speed and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed and add 1/4 cup of flour at a time till you put it all in.
- Run it till all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour the batter in the pan and put in the oven.
- Bake for an hour and ten to fifteen minutes. Check with a toothpick to see if it is done. Don't over bake this cake, or it will get dry.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Invert the pound cake on a cooling rack and let it cool before you serve this British delicacy with tea.
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Kids love mug cakes, so if you want to treat your kids with one, try this simple recipe for Chocolate Mug cake. You can make it in a microwave in minutes.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Splash vanilla extract, optional
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
How to Make
- Take a 12-ounce (350-360 ml) microwave safe ceramic mug.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in it.
- Use a fork to mix it well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract and blend it well.
- You can add in chocolate chips as well.
- Put the mug in a microwave and cook for 90 seconds.
- Let it cool and have your kids eat it straight from the mug.
Oreo Biscuit Cake
Another great and easy cake is the Oreo biscuit cake. You can bake it in an oven or a microwave. If using an oven, bake it at 180 C for 25 to 35 minutes and if using a microwave, bake it at 180 C in the convection mode for around 25 minutes. This recipe will help you bake it in a pressure cooker.
- 300 g Greos
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder (optional)
How to Make
- Preheat your cooker for 10 minutes on medium flame, don't forget to remove the gasket and whistle from it.
- Break the biscuits roughly, add sugar and run it in a food processor to a fine mixture.
- Empty it in a glass bowl and add baking powder and coffee in it, mix well.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix again till it is smooth.
- Grease a 4-inch pan with oil or butter. You can line it with a parchment paper and dust some flour on it.
- Pour the batter in the pan and place it in the cooker on the stand.
- Close the lid and cook for about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick.
- Remove it and let it cool before removing it from the pan.
This easy recipe will help you bake a perfect Tutti-frutti cake:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- fresh cream,butter and tutti fruti
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
How to Make
- Take a bowl and sieve all-purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder in it.
- Put in crushed sugar, vanilla essence, cream, butter and salt in another bowl.
- Take the liquid mixture and pour it in with the dry mixture gradually on one side.
- Mix well till it gets light.
- Add in tutti-fruti and bake it at 180 C for about 60 minutes.
- Check it with a toothpick and remove.
- Let it cool and serve.
Sugarless Cake Recipe
This sugarless cake tastes great, and you will be able to serve it to the family members who can't have sugar due to health issues.
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 cups water
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons liquid sweetener
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
How to Make
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- Grease a 10-inch bundt or a tube pan.
- Take raisins with water and cook in a saucepan till the water is absorbed. Let it cool.
- Take eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla and liquid sweetener in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg into the egg mixture.
- Add raisins and chopped nuts into the mixture.
- Pour the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350 F for an hour and you are done.
Banana cakes are delicious and very easy to make. They are super soft and loved by all. Here is how you can make one at home:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
How to Make
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Take 2 round pans of 8 inches and grease them well.
- Take a bowl and whisk flour, baking soda, salt in it and keep it aside.
- Take another bowl and mix in butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix them well till it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and mix the mashed bananas in it.
- Now add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into the butter mixture and add chopped walnuts to it as well.
- Pour the batter in the pans.
- Bake it for 30 minutes and check with a toothpick.
- Remove and let it cool by putting it on a damp tea towel.
Pieces of Equipment Needed to Bake a Cake at Home
You can't bake a cake unless you have the right tools for it. If you're an amateur, you probably already know which pieces of equipment you'd require. But if you are a beginner, then you can get by a few basic things. Check out the list before you spend money on baking tools.
- Measuring your ingredients correctly will get you a perfect cake, and for that, you will need measuring cups and jugs. You will need it to measure the dry and liquid ingredients; therefore, get one for sure.
- A fine mesh sieve is also very important. It will help you sift dry ingredients or for sprinkling powder sugar on your brownies or cookies.
- Cake tins are a must-have. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials. Look for heavy-duty tins. Always use the correct size according to the recipe.
- Parchment paper is handy. You use it to line your pan, but you should lightly butter it before pouring in the batter. You can also use it to wrap the cake and put it in the freezer to be used later.
- A hand mixer or a stand mixer makes your life easy while mixing the ingredients. You don't need to buy an expensive one, buy one which is durable.
Baking Just Requires a Bit of Perseverance & a Few Simple Steps!
We hope this article was of great help to you in making some cakes at home. Baking is an art that requires precision, creativity, some science, but it is undoubtedly loads of fun! Anyone can bake; all you need to do is to read on and follow some simple steps to get that perfectly baked cake at home.