What to Know Before Baking a Cake?
Follow the Recipe to the Point
If you want to learn how to make a simple cake with perfection then you should follow the given recipe to the point. Changing the proportions and substituting ingredients doesn’t work all the time and it can change the final result too. Also, use alternatives only if they are mentioned in the recipe otherwise follow it as it is.
Measurement is Everything
Come on, guys! You can’t change the measurements as per your likeness and then expect the cake to be baked perfectly. And in order to master that you need proper measuring tools like all sorts of measuring cups, spatulas etc. In fact, even a bit of mismeasured ingredients can lead to a huge change in the final taste of the cake.
Mixing Matters Too
Mixing the cake batter is quite like an art and you just can’t fail at this step because this decides the texture of your cake. Make sure that you do not over mix the batter else it will turn out to be quite hard and under mixing the cake won’t mix all the ingredients properly leading to lumps in between. Just when you see that all ingredients are combined well, stop mixing.
Don't Check the Cake Too Often
To learn the complete process of how to bake a cake step by step, you need to understand the baking too. You should trust the recipe and follow the given baking time to the core. Please do not open the oven now and then to check whether the cake is baked yet or not. The change in temperature won’t let your cake rise properly which is very disappointing.
Simple Cake Recipes for Beginners
Rich Vanilla Sponge Cake
This sponge cake recipe is one of the simplest cake recipes that we have come across. This is a very basic type of soft and spongy cake that is loved by all irrespective of age. You can easily make it at home with basic ingredients and enjoy it with tea and coffee.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ¾ cup butter
- 3 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5tbsp milk
How to Make It
- Take a bowl and sieve all-purpose flour and baking powder in it and keep aside.
- Now, cream butter in a bowl with electric mixer and beat for 1 minute. Add sugar in it and beat again for 2-3 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg and 1tbsp of flour mix in it and beat again until it gets mixed well. Repeat this step until all eggs and flour is finished.
- Now, add vanilla essence and milk and gently fold the mixture then beat for 30 seconds to mix it well.
- Add the batter in a 7 inch baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree for 50 minutes. Let it cool and then serve in pieces.
Eggless Fruit Cake
If you want to create a balance between health and desserts then you can try out this yummy as well as a healthy fruit cake recipe. This is moist and completely eggless and you are going to love the fact that how quickly you can make it.
- 20gms citrus peel and ¾ cup hot water
- 150gms dry fruits mix (raisins, apricots, glace cherries and cranberries) and ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup oil/melted butter
- 120ml orange juice and 100gms chopped nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts)
- 1tsp baking soda and 1 ¾ cups wheat flour
How to Make It
- Chop all dry fruits and nuts separately and keep aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add cranberries, raisins, apricots and citrus peels in it. Add ¾ cup hot boiling water in the bowl and leave it aside.
- Preheat oven to 170C for 15 minutes when the mixture cools down.
- Add melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, orange juice and vinegar to fruit mixture and stir well.
- Take another mixing bowl and sieve wheat flour, store bought or homemade spice powder, salt and soda in it. Mix well and make a well in center.
- Stir the fruit mix and pour in flour mix all at once then mix gently with a spatula.
- Add cherries and chopped nuts and stir. Pour this mixture into baking pan and keep in oven to bake for 40 minutes. Cool the cake and then serve.
Butter Cake Recipe
If you want to learn how to make a simple cake then you can ditch the sponge cake and try out butter cake instead. This airy and light cake tastes absolutely delicious and easy to bake at home too especially for beginners.
- 200gms all-purpose flour and 200gms castor sugar
- 250gms butter and 60ml milk
- 2tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs and 1 – 1 ¼ tbsp. pure vanilla extract
How to Make It
- For preparation, grease and line a baking pan and make sure all ingredients are at room temperature and butter should be soft. Don’t forget to preheat oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Now, mix flour, salt and baking powder and set aside. Also, break eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar on low speed and do so until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Now, add one egg at a time and keep on beating followed by vanilla essence and then beat again.
- Divide the flour in 3 parts and add one part at a time in butter and sugar mix and mix well. Do so for all parts of flour.
- Keep on adding milk in small portions each time you add flour. Mix it well and transfer the batter to baking pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes and then serve after being cooled down completely.
If you want to try out learning how to make a simple cake then you can start with this recipe of coffee cake. You can add frosting as per your taste but this coffee cake can be enjoyed without frosting too. The intense flavor is quite delicious and totally refreshing too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour and 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt and 1 cup butter(softened and unsalted)
- 2 large eggs and 1 tsp baking soda
- 3tbsp coffee mixture (4tbsp instant coffee + 1 cup boiling water)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk and 2tsp vanilla
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 170C and grease one big round baking pan.
- Take a large bowl and add sugar, flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pot and then add coffee mixture to it. Bring it to a boil and set aside.
- Take a separate bowl and add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour coffee mixture into flour mixture and stir it well. Now add egg mixture in it and stir until it is combined well.
- Pour this mix into the baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Then serve when cooled completely.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
What if you get to make a cake that is completely flourless? Well, you would be wondering how and we have a really simple recipe to let you know about it. Try this flourless chocolate cake recipe and enjoy it with your family too.
- 100gms chocolate and 100gms sugar
- 4 eggs and 75gms butter
- flaked almonds
How to Make It
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it through double boiler method.
- Take another bowl and whisk butter and sugar. Now add 4 egg yolks one at a time and keep on whisking.
- Take another bowl and whisk 3 egg whites in it until they become frothy.
- Once the chocolate cool down add it into butter and sugar mix. Now add egg white mixture and stir it well.
- Pour this chocolate mix into buttered over tray and garnish with almonds.
- Bake it at 175 degree for 10 minutes and serve it with vanilla ice cream.
Biscuit Cake Recipe
If you are wondering how to make a cake without oven then we have just the right kind of recipe for you. This biscuit cake recipe is a no-bake cake recipe which is actually quite delicious but light too. You can try it anytime and it needs some basic ingredients only.
- 250gms digestive biscuits and ¼ cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup + 3tbsp full fat milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp cocoa powder and ½ cup organic sugar
- 2tbsp unsalted butter and ½ cup chocolate chips
How to Make It
- First make chocolate syrup for which mix cocoa powder and sugar in a pot.
- Now, stir 1 cup full fat milk in it and make a smooth mix. Now, add butter and bring this to a boil and keep cooking until it becomes slightly thick. Set this aside to cool down.
- Now, break the biscuits in ½ inch pieces and when the syrup cools down pour it in 2 batches and stir well.
- Transfer chocolate syrup covered biscuits to a pan and press down to make a base. Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
- For frosting add chocolate chips and remaining milk in a bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Make sure the chocolate melts completely and the ingredients mix well.
- Unmold the cake from the pan and then spread chocolate frosting on the cake evenly. Refrigerate again till the chocolate sets and then serve.
Wheat Cake Recipe
For a beginner, it is important to learn how to make a simple cake with step by step process. For this you need to choose a simple recipe but what if it is healthy too? We bring you this recipe of wheat cake which is eggless as well as yummy too.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour and ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1tsp vanilla extract
- 80gms unsalted butter and ½ cup water
- 4 tbsp sugar
How to Make It
- Grease a 6 inch pan and set aside. Preheat oven at 180 degree for 20 minutes.
- Now, sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour and ½ tsp baking powder in a bowl.
- Add ½ cup sweetened condensed milk in dry ingredients along with vanilla extract. Do not mix it now and just set aside.
- Take a pan and add butter and water with 4tbsp sugar. Heat this mixture on low flame and then bring to a boil.
- Transfer this mixture into flour mix and then whisk them together. Make a smooth batter and do not over mix.
- Transfer it to the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let it cool and then serve.
Important Baking Utensils and Tools for Your Kitchen
We really hope that you would have loved our collection of step by step simple cake recipes mentioned above. And now that you have decided to become a pro at baking, we have some suggestions for baking tools and items that would help you out in this journey. You can buy these baking tools through the below-mentioned links on affordable prices.
Round Cake Pan - 6 inch
How you are supposed to bake a cake when you do not even have the right kind of cake tin for it? You can buy this aluminum baking pan of the 6-inch diameter which is one of the most standard sizes you will find for cakes. It is microwave safe and the aluminum used is non-toxic and non-staining and you can buy this cake tin on Amazon for Rs. 199.
Baking Combo Set
This baking combo set is the ultimate thing you need for your baking journey. If you want to learn how to make a simple cake then you should totally have these baking tools with you. This set here consists of 3 spatulas, 1 scrapper and 1 turntable for that hefty cake decorations. You can buy this set on Flipkart for Rs.522.
Decorating Piping Syringe
If you have learned it properly that how to bake a cake then you can now learn about frosting too. And for that you can buy this piping syringe with 8 types of nozzles to create various designs and styles of frosting on your cake. This set of a piping syringe is available for purchase on Bake Wala for Rs. 174.
Cake Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
We talked about it before how the right measurement leads to a perfectly baked cake. And for that you should totally check out this complete set of measuring cups along with spoons, pasting brush and spatula too. You even get 1 mixing sifter along with this set as well. Buy this amazing combo on Amazon for **Rs. 499.
Go for Easy Decoration
When it comes to cake decorating, prefer classic and simple. This is mostly because it needs practice with any intricate decor and since you are a beginner in baking. First master your baking skills then you can go for learning decorating skills.