Mug Cake 101: Everything You Need to Know to Make Cake in a Mug
Mug cakes are the miniature version of the regular sized cake, and the core intention of the mug cake is that you get a warm, moist and fluffy cute cake in minutes without the fuss of a major baking exercise. Among the many recipes swirling around the web, hardly few of them can be the best one which might give a brilliant result when you try to bake a mug cake all by yourself. It seems to be easy to bake a cake in less than five minutes, but with anything wrong, you can end up making a chewy messy cake in a mug.
- The right amount of ingredients: It is so essential to select the perfect amount of the components you want to use to make your mug cake. Baking is based on the precise proportion of ingredients and proper measuring methods. It requires mentioning that a good measuring process is essential and you can do that by so many hacks too. It can be a weighing machine, a cup to scoop, tapping or shaking and chart to figure out the measurement.
- Proper microwavable utensils: As microwave oven has been an essential element in every household, it is used for a various purpose other than reheating, like making a mug cake too. However, for that, you will need the right material which is safe, comfortable to work and stylish too. Glassware, here it is a beautiful mug or big coffee cup, without any silver or golden lining should create the spark. Also, do not use any glassware that is just taken out of the refrigerator.
- Measurement of the ingredients inside the mug: It is, of course, tricky to measure the dry and liquid ingredients both in the same small cup. It would help if you kept a sufficient gap between the elements and the surface of the mug. It is suggested not to fill the mug more than half with the mixture.
- How to handle sinking of the cake: In humid countries like India, extra moisture a naturally be collected in the ingredients like flour. If the cake is not moist enough, it can sink in the centre whereas excess moisture and also ruin the cake as well. Even if you smack the batter a few times in the cup, it will eliminate the air bubbles which will help to raise the cake.
- Using self-rising flour: Self-rising flour is a mixture that you can make with regular flour, salt and baking powder. Self-rising or self-raising flour contains no other ingredients, and it is different from all-purpose flour. It gives a better result in the baking of the cake with flavour and rising.
- Enjoy just when ready: We can't wait when we bake a cake, especially if it is a mug cake kids are all around to get it done. While it takes very less time to make a mug cake, yet you should put it on hold for a few minutes so that the inside of the cake is self-done. So, add a couple of more minutes to your timer before you decorate and resent the mug cake to your loved ones.
- Use toppings and crunches for more taste: You can use a variety of toppings and crunches you love in the mug cake. A crushed cinnamon toast crunch, whipped cream, berry jams, or peanut butter are some yummy toppings that you can add and serve with a plain mug cake.
- Start with the most straightforward and shortest timed recipe: Mugs cakes are the fasted made cakes, so when you are a newbie, try for some most straightforward cake recipes which are easy to make and takes less time. With time you can easily create complicated methods and different processes to experiment with your baking art.
6 Super Recipes for Mug Cakes
1. Eggless Mug Cake in 2 Minutes
From cakes to cookies, eggs play an important role everywhere. They create stability and structure in the batter; they also thicken and add moisture and helps the cake to be airy and light. However, many people do not like or eat egg because they do not like the smell or they are vegetarians. So, eggless cakes are favourite too in the baking area. Mug cakes can be made without eggs also. Let’s see how you can do that quickly and make a delicious cake in just two minutes.
What you need
- Regular coffee cup
- Measuring spoon
- Maida or plain flour
- cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Condensed milk
- Granulated sugar
- Butter or oil
- Cream or malai
- Vanilla essence
How to do
- Take four tablespoons of maida or plain flour and add 1 ½ tablespoon of powdered sugar
- Add one tablespoon of cocoa powder and a 1/16th spoon of baking powder
- Add a ½ pinch of baking soda and mix it well
- Now add the wet ingredients like one tablespoon of condensed milk, one tablespoon of milk or 1 tablespoon of butter or oil
- Add a ½ tablespoon of cream or 1 ½ tablespoon of malai
- Add two drops of veneer and 4-5 drops of vanilla essence
- Mix it with a fork well with one tablespoon of milk
- When the butter is thick add Choco chips if you wish
- Please keep it for one or two minutes according to your microwave
- When rises you know it’s done
2. How to Make a Brownie in Mug
When you have the craving of something yummy chocolaty but do not have the time or patience, bake this brownie in a mug recipe in just five minutes. One mug is enough for two people if served with creamy toppings or ice-cream.
What you need
- Edible melted coconut oil
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Brown sugar
- Coffee or milk or water
- Vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
How to make
- Take a glass bowl to mix all the ingredients
- Melt the coconut oil in room temperature
- Shift or whisk the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add coffee, milk or water and egg and vanilla extract with a pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients and whisk well
- Put in microwave and bake
- Serve with a squeeze of rock salt or whipped cream
3. Mug Cake in Cooker
You will love the taste of molten lava cake which can be called as chocolate fondant, Choco lava cake, or molten cake; it is a sensational dessert. A perfect brownie at a higher temperature with a molten centre is a party winner.
What you need
- A ½ cup of plain flour or maida
- A ½ cup of sugar
- 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
How to make
- Place a pan with simmering water in the gas oven
- Put a bowl over it
- Put 140 grams dark chocolate and butter in it; they will melt together
- Add a ½ cup of warm water and add condensed milk if stored in the refrigerator and give a right mix
- Add chocolate and butter mixture to the dry ingredients
- Add condensed milk mixture and mix the batter well
- Transfer the batter in the bowls which are greased with butter
- Preheat the cooker in medium to low flame after putting the stand inside
- Add some regular salt in the cooker and over it to preheat for 10 minutes
- Put the bowl with batter and cover the cooker in 8 minutes in medium flame or 22 minutes if it’s low or 12 minutes in the right flame
- Stand for a minute and serve it hot
4. Dark Fantasy Mug Cake
A dark fantasy cake seems to be luxurious and delicious too just by its name. It does not need any occasion or reason to make a quick microwave mug cake. You can add walnut, cooking chocolates, raisins almonds or Choco chips. Even berries are a perfect option for a dark fantasy mug cake. Its preparation time is of 5 minutes and cooking time is just 4 minutes, and you can serve two people.
- 6 tablespoons of maida or plain flour
- 4 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoon of oil
- 6 tablespoon of full cream
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of walnut
- Few pieces of chocolate
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
- ½ tablespoon of sugar crystal
How to do
- Firstly take maida r plain flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix all the dry ingredients well and shift them while mixing.
- Add oil, milk, vanilla extract, mix well and transfer in a safe microwave mug
- Add in chopped chocolate and walnut
- Mix gently and microwave the mug for 2 minutes
- Garnish with your favourite topping and serve immediately
5. Family Mug Cake
Just with a 5 minutes mug cake, you can make a fantastic dessert which is perfect for the whole family. This dessert looks great, and it is so easy to make also. You can create as many numbers and varieties as you wish.
What you need
- 1 egg
- Cake flour
- 1/8th tablespoon cinnamon powder
- Green apple or cocoa powder and melted chocolate, or sugar and blueberries
How to do
- Put cake flour, egg and cinnamon powder and mix well
- You can make three different types of mug cakes with ingredients like green apple, cocoa powder, or blueberries.
- Make each separate batch and put it in the microwave for one and a half minutes.
- Serve hot and as done.
6. Vanilla Mug Cake
If you are like me a traditional vanilla flavour lover, you are going to love this vanilla mug cake recipe. It looks fresh and sophisticated. Nothing can beat the plain looking simple and delicate vanilla mug cake like this on a summer day.
What you need
- 2 tablespoon of melted butter
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoon of white sugar
- 2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon of white milk
- 6 tablespoon self-rising flour
How to make it
- Mix egg, melted butter, white sugar and vanilla extract
- Stir well and add self- rising flour
- Make a thick batter and fill your mugs halfway with it
- Microwave for 40 to 50 seconds and make sure they are not overcooked
- Serve with toppings of whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream
Perfect Mugs for Your Mug Cake
A mug cake and without a super cool mug? It's not possible, so we have found a couple of exclusive mugs for you which can be unique and perfect for your dream mug cake. You will feel relaxed and happy when your loved ones will appreciate your effort to do a homemade cake as well as your choice for the mug used for it.
1. Teal Coloured Mug
A gorgeous mug with a different colour to make your favourite mug cake is something you will not want to miss. We recommend a teal colour for your mug cake which is not only uncommon colour as a mug to serve but will enhance the look of your cake inside it. Whether you make a white vanilla mug cake or a coffee cake, a teal colour will keep everyone tempted to have it. This quirky graceful and funky designed mug is made of bone china, and the shape is round. It is microwave safe, which means you can make your mug without any fear. It is also dishwasher safe, and you can have this minimally designed mug cake for only Rs. 49 at homecentre.in.
2. Mug without Handle
It is a bet that you will not often think to serve your mug cake in a cup which does not have a handle. Yes! You are right, though you will buy such mugs you will not regret it if you use one. This handleless mug is microwave safe and ceramic. Its size is 250 ml, and the colour is maroon. This product is handcrafted, hand-painted and handmade, which make it unique in another way. The price tag is affordable, which is Rs. 195 at Amazon with a prime delivery facility.
Don't Over Mix Your Batter
One of the keys to making the perfect cake, regardless of the recipe that you choose, is to make sure that you don’t overmix your batter. Combining a handful of ingredients in the right order may seem like a simple task, but if you keep mixing your batter after it comes together, you’ll develop too much gluten and end up with a cake that is too tough. For a perfectly tender cake, mix the cake batter just until it’s combined, unless otherwise specified by your recipe.