Why are Party Favors Important for Events and Celebrations?
- These make visitors feel appreciated: When you invite people over for a party, they have to adjust their schedules so that they can attend. Party favors show that you appreciate this gesture and are thankful for their attendance.
- They are a great keepsake: Memorabilia handed out as gifts are a great way to remember the event for as long as possible.
- For fun and excitement: Favors can also be a great way to AMP up the excitement of your guests.
- To make your party stand out: Giving a gift to your guests is sure to make your party stand out from the rest. You can choose unique, durable items to give to your guests to create an everlasting effect.
3 Tips on How to Pick Party Favors
- Choose Something Useful: If you love the idea of giving favors to your guests, then try to choose something useful. Avoid impractical, tacky, and wasteful favors. By giving favors that can be consumed or used by guests, you are also promoting others to go eco-friendly. Like for example, a small succulent or seeds packed in recycled paper, etc.
- Try Before Buying The Favors: A trial run is very important before buying favors. Once you decide on the favors, place an order for a sample. This way, you can make sure that the product is right. You need to order your favors at least 15 days to a month before the event so that you have enough time to assemble them.
- Wrap Your Favors In Beautiful Boxes: Packing favors thoughtfully can give an extra edge to it. It should have the same impact as what is inside it. From cellophane bags to colourful boxes, you have several options. If it is edible favors, then they need a special kind of packaging. The container must be lined with wax paper to absorb the grease.
10 Interesting Handmade Party Favors for Various Celebrations
Fresh Fruit Favors
Fresh fruits are a great budget-friendly option, and with pretty packaging, it would be both stylish and delicious. There are several ways to dress up fruits.
- You can create custom stickers with any image you like, monograms, or wedding dates and stick them onto the fruit for minimal effort packaging.
- Small bags work perfectly well for berries or small fruits. You can create a stamp or sticker for the bags with pretty fonts or designs.
- Another idea is to wrap fruits partially or wholly in kraft or wrapping paper, which creates interesting shapes while also giving guests a peek at what they are getting. These can also double as escort cards or table numbers.
- Because of how colourful fruits are, sometimes all you need are baskets or buckets with a sign telling your guests how to serve themselves. Another bonus is that seasonal fruits are extremely affordable if purchased in bulk from local farmers or the farmers market.
Seed bombs or Seed balls are all the rage right now and make excellent eco-friendly favors. A seed bomb is a mixture of clay, compost, and dirt that can be used to grow flowers anywhere. It was started as a technique to introduce vegetation on barren land by dropping bundles of soil containing live seeds. So, get your hands a little dirty and make these great favors!
- You will need some air-dry clay, earthworm casting fertilizer, flower seeds, glass bowls, a spoon, small gift baggies, some decorative paper and ribbon or tags. The recipe is very easy.
- Mix one-part clay with two parts of fertilizer in a large bowl. So, if you're using one cup of clay, mix it with 2 cups of fertilizer. A three-cup recipe will make about 50 seed bombs.
- After thoroughly mixing the two, take a small piece and dip it in the flower seeds. Now roll the mixture into a little ball and place it on a newspaper to dry in a ventilated area. You do not want moist bombs as they could grow mold.
- Once dry, place three bombs in a gift bag and decorate it with colourful paper or ribbon. You can also create a custom tag for the same.
DIY Herbed Salt Party Favors
Party favor options are truly limitless, but giving your guests something that they can use is always great. This adorable salt favor from Alisa Lewis Event Design is one such option. It's very easy to make and doesn't require much time.
- You will need 1/2 cup of fresh packed herbs, 1/2 cup coarse salt, and a glass jar. You can adjust the ingredients depending on the quantity you require.
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the fresh herbs. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Spoon the salt mixture into the glass jars and let it air dry for about 4 hours before sealing.
- You can jazz up the jar by adding a ribbon or a beautiful tag.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Another sweet treat on the list is chocolate chip cookies, everyone’s favourite! These are very easy to make. All you will need is:
- 1 cup softened salted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Mix the flour, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, salt in a bowl. Mix butter and sugar until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Slowly, mix the dry ingredients until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix. Bake in a pre-heated oven to 375 degrees.
DIY Honey Favors
Sweet favors are the best kind of gift. There's nothing like indulging in or taking home a delicious treat after a whole night of partying. This favor is also very easy to make.
- You will need spice jars, honey (you can get organic honey from the farmers market), some honey dippers, custom labels, glue dots, twine and double-sided tape.
- Pour honey in the jar and secure. Wrap the handle with the centre of your twine and knot, leaving two long pieces on either side.
- Fix a glue dot on the edge of the honey dipper and stick it to the lid, close to the hinge.
- Wrap the remaining twine around the mouth of the jar and the dipper and tie a knot. Add any decorative tag of your choice.
This simple gift is sure to warm up your guest's hearts.
Stove Top Potpourri
The Stovepot potpourri is a perfect homemade party favor. Its simmering spices will make any house warm and comfortable. The potpourri recipe can be filled in a simple mason jar. Print the instructions and glue it on the lid to complete the favor.
- One each of Thinly Sliced Orange and Apple, Dried cranberries about ½ cup and 3 cinnamon sticks.
How to Make
- Bake the sliced oranges and apples at 200 degrees for 3 to 4 hours. After removing it from the oven, cool them completely. Alternatively, you can even sun dry these fruits.
- The next step is to assemble the potpourri in the mason jars. First, layer the dried cranberries and then oranges and apples and then place a cinnamon stick. Repeat this layering until you fill the mason jar.
- Decorate your mason jar with ribbons.
Printed Instructions on How to Use the Potpourri
- Add contents into a saucepan with water. Simmer this mixture on low heat. Add in water as needed.
Note: These ingredients are for one jar. Just multiply this quantity with the number of mason jars you want to make.
DIY Small Floral Bouquets
Flowers are special and are perfect favors for any occasion. If you are a flower-loving person, then you can go for mini bunches of flowers that make cute and memorable favors.
You will need
- Purple Stock, White Wax flowers and Orangey-peach roses (or any color of your choice), floral tape, kraft paper, tissue paper. Filler flowers will make the bouquets look full and keep the favor budget-friendly.
- Bunch the flowers together (maybe 2 or 3 roses in each bouquet). Cut them in the desired length.
- Tie all the flowers together with a floral tape or band.
- Place the bouquet at the corner of a tissue paper and wrap it around. Neatly tuck in the bottom and corner of the tissue. Repeat the same process with kraft paper and tie a string to secure it.
DIY Tea Cup Candles
You will easily find stand-alone teacups in the thrift stores that do not match with any tea sets, but they are quite beautiful and definitely deserve some love. These can be used to make candles, which are an inexpensive tabletop décor. They are very easy to make and are beautiful party favors.
You will need
- Porcelain teacups, Wax wicks, Wax, Masking Tape, Oven mitts, Double-boiler, Cooking Thermometer and Wooden Skewers.
How to Make
- Place the wicks in the teacups and support them with wooden skewers. Make sure the wick is at the center of the cup.
- Melt wax in a double-boiler. You can add color or few crayon pieces, if you are using paraffin wax to make the wax colourful.
- Once the wax melts, remove from heat for a few minutes. If you want to use fragrance then add the desired scented oil once the wax temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Now pour wax into teacups. Allow it to cool (takes about 4 to 6 hours). Trim the wicks and viola, your beautiful teacup candle favors are ready.
DIY Crystal Planters
Crystals are beautiful rocks that make excellent decor, and they also have good energy and cleansing properties. For this DIY you will need –
- A crystal (pick them based on their properties), an air plant as they can help clean out air-borne particles or succulents, floral adhesive and leather cord.
- There are three ways of making a crystal planter. First, use a large-sized geode and a mid-sized air plant or a succulent that will fit in the concave area of the crystal. Start by dabbing a small amount of glue on your air plant and gently hold it in place for 20 sec. This glue is formulated for live plants and will not damage your crystal. Next, add some soil to the centre and place a small succulent. Wrap the geode with a cord, making a stunning hanging planter.
- Second, for narrow spaces, you could make a vertical arrangement. Begin by using a narrow crystal. Wrap the cord around it a couple times and secure it. Glue your plant to the end of the crystal.
- Third, add a small amount of soil in the centre of a crystal and plant a small succulent. This is perfect for a table planter.
Loose Tea Favors
This is a great budget-friendly party favor idea, especially if you are hosting a tea party. This thoughtful gesture reflects the theme of tea parties.
- You will need small tins, labels, and tea leaves of your choice.
- Fill the tins with tea leaves until they are around 2/3rd full.
- Print labels and paste them on the lid. That’s it!
- You can create a tea blend or purchase one in bulk to reduce the cost. You can also make multiple tins of different teas for each favor. If your guests are coffee people, you can also fill up the tins with coffee.
Important Tip: How Much To Spend On Party Favors?
Spending a day with your loved ones is an incredible experience. Your guests may travel far and wide, with well wishes and gifts, especially if it’s your wedding. To thank them for their attendance, send them home with a token of your appreciation in the form of party favors. The amount you want to spend on these favors is not set in stone. You should consider both your budget and the guest list while deciding the price of each favor. Those with huge celebrations should spend less per person, or the total cost might be really high.
DIYing your favors is the route to go if you want to save money or having a small celebration. You have plenty of options like candy-filled mason jars, handmade soaps, or getting them something edible if you’re not a crafty person. No matter how much you spend, your guests are not expecting a parting gift, so they are as happy with a 100 Rupees gift as they are with a 1,000 Rupees one. Any gift will have your guests feeling touched by the sweet gesture and make the event memorable for you and them!
A Personalised Note May Just Prove to be The Cherry On Top!
If you're having a big party with a lot of guests, then it doesn't make much sense to make party favors yourself, as you'd only be left spending time on the preparation of these only. However, if you're having a small party for say, 20 to 30 people, then along with making party favors for them, you can also add a short personalised note about the recipient, thanking them for coming to your party. They will surely love the gesture, for it shows that you went out of your way just to thank them for coming!