Handmade Gifts Express Your Affection Like None Other
If you are thinking of gifting something handmade to your girlfriend, then you are right on track to utterly melt your girlfriend's heart! Handmade gifts are often considered more precious than regular gifts because you’ve spent time to create something just for your special person. How wonderful is that!
Not only are handmade gifts more special they are also more budget-friendly as you only need to spend on supplies. Additionally, making a gift gives you an opportunity to show off your creative skills to your beloved. So a fantastic idea by all accounts!
3 Tips to Consider Before You Get Started
If you are new to handcrafting a gift, picking the right Do-It-Yourself (DIY) project can increase the chances of success. Your gift need not be picture perfect, but shouldn’t look shoddy either. Check out our tips to figure out what will be a comfortable idea for you to attempt.
If you are handy with your hands then you are probably confident of pulling off a handmade gift for your girlfriend. Get inspired by our list of gift ideas and sweep your girlfriend off her feet!
Pick Something Simple and Useful
A quick look online gives you dozens and dozens of absolutely creative and gorgeous options for handmade gifts. However you need to focus on choosing a DIY project that is not only doable but also something that will appeal to your girlfriend. For example, if your girlfriend has no interest in reading, there is little use in creating her handcrafted bookmarks. She will simply not use them! So consider your girlfriend’s personality, likes and dislikes before picking out something.
If this is your first attempt at making a gift for your girl then you must have a realistic understanding of your skills and time availability. Don't take on a gift idea that requires special skills. Similarly keep in mind the time pressures you are likely to face so you avoid projects that are complex and need a lot of time. This way you can do justice and not rush through the process.
Decide After Checking for Supplies
You may be tempted by the amazing DIY suggestions on Pinterest, YouTube and craft blogs, but hold on. Many of them require specialised supplies – and if you start without checking for their availability you might get stuck! Make a short list of the DIY ideas that will fit your requirements, then check online and in local craft stores for the required supplies or close substitutes, and also if the costs are reasonable.
7 Simple, Cute and Romantic Handmade Gifts for Girlfriend
DIY Matching T-Shirts
This is a simple idea where you make a heart across two t-shirts so that they match up when you and your girlfriend wear them. It's cute without being corny or over the top!
Couple T-ShirtsWhat You Need:
- 2 plain white cotton or cotton-based t-shirts (in the right sizes)
- The pattern you want (we are making a heart) - you can use a stencil or draw freehand
- Fabric paint in the colour of your choice and brushes
- A large sheet of cardboard (as large as the biggest t-shirt)
- Hair dryer
- The first step is to figure out the measurements so that the heart shape is placed correctly across the 2 T-shirts. Since the two tees will have one half of the design, you need to ensure they match while wearing, despite differing heights.
- To do this, mark out the spot on the tall person’s t-shirt where you want the top part of the heart to sit, as well as the spot where the lowest part of the heart will come on the shorter person’s tee so the whole shape looks matched.
- Draw one half of the heart shape freehand on 1 t-shirt and the other half on the second shirt
- Now onto the painting. Take 1 tee shirt and pop the cardboard sheet inside, between the two layers. We need to do this to ensure the paint doesn’t seep through to the other side.
- Start painting the area you have marked out. Ensure the edges come clean and crisp
- Take the hairdryer and blow dry the painted area. Once it has dried, apply another coat and use the dryer again on it.
- Check for any patchy areas, and fix if needed. Blow dry again
- Do the same process on the second t-shirt.
- Let them both dry out naturally for a bit, and that’s it, you have an adorable matching tee-shirt set!
Framed Jewellery Holder
This jewellery holder is an innovative gift idea that is sure to blow away your girl.
The decorative steel mesh sheet is essential as that is what will be used to hold the earrings. You can look for such meshes in hardware stores or on online sites. For example this Silver Colored Metal Sheet on Amazon is perfect for our use but is slightly expensive.
Frame Jewellery HolderWhat You Need:
- 1 large empty photo frame
- 1 decorative steel mesh
- Paint in your chosen colour and necessary brushes
- Push points and hammer
- Paint the frame in the colour you want and let it dry.
- Your photo frame needs to be of medium size otherwise it may not be of much practical use. Several websites as well as local furniture stores will have empty frames that you can buy.
- Get the wire mesh cut to the size need at hardware store near you, else buy a pair tin snips at the craft store. The size of the mesh depends on the frame you have chosen.
- Place the sheet inside frame and secure it using small nails or push points
Favourite Photo Wall Clock
A personalised wall clock featuring one of your favourite photos will definitely be winner of a gift. It may seem a little complicated but it will just take some preparation to get it right.
You will clock parts for this. Buy DIY Crafts Mute Hand Quartz Clock Movement Mechanism Repair Tool Parts Kit Set on amazon.in for Rs.399.
DIY Picture Wall ClockWhat You Need:
- A MDF board of size 16 x 16 inches (get it cut at a hardware store)
- Your photo, printed with the clock template
- A clock parts set (you find it on Amazon or in craft stores)
- Paint that matches the colour scheme
- Craft drill machine
- First step is to load the photo onto a photo editing website/software like Pixlr or Photoshop and layer on a printable clock template or vector that you can find free online. Make sure the photo is sized 16 x 16 and has a minimum resolution of 300 dpi. A simpler option is to omit the clock numerals altogether.
- Get the final photo printed professionally at places like Printo on photo paper
- Paint about 3-4 inches in from four edges of the board on one side – this is to ensure the board is not visible behind the photo. Let dry fully.
- Now apply ModPodge onto the board and paste the photo onto it carefully, ensuring no bubbles or creases
- We need to find the right spot to place the clock hands, so measure the board diagonally both ways, and mark the point where the lines meet in the middle. This is where we will drill a hole to insert the clock parts
- Use the drill to make a hole of the right size and attach the clock hands on the front and the main unit at the back. Affix a wall hook on top if you wish.
Jar of Happiness
This awesome gift doesn’t need much, but is something that will become a treasured keepsake. Your Jar of Happiness gift that will contain sweet messages from you that your girl can read whenever she feels low or in need of a pick-me-up.
- A medium sized glass jar. You can either buy it at a craft store or recycle one
- 2-3 sheets of coloured card stock
- Marker pen and scissors
- Prepare a list of things you want to write as your messages. You can put in anything that will bring a smile to your girlfriend’s face - reasons you love her, inspirational quotes, inside jokes, love notes, favourite memories etc.
- Cut the card stock into even sized slips of paper
- Write one message per slip and fold it neatly
- Fill the bottle with all the paper slips you’ve prepared. At least make 50 – if you need inspiration, look online as several bloggers offer suggestions.
- If you want to decorate the jar, paint something on the outside - your girlfriend's name, a message or any pattern.
Candy Bouquet or Cake
If your girl has a weakness for candies then this gift is perfect choice. It also is relatively simple to put together.
Candy CakeWhat you need
- Large Cake base
- 2 round shaped cardboard or thermocol blocks with the middle portion hollowed out - both same size or one smaller than the other, but at least 2-3 inches smaller in diameter than the cake base. Cake dummies are a good option which can be found on Amazon or craft stores. Medium sized empty tins can also be used.
- A whole lot of chocolates, toffees, and candies. The exact amount depends on the size of cake you are planning
- Glue and scissors
- Cellophane paper and some satin ribbons
- Glue the two round blocks together and let dry
- Now glue the blocks to the cake board. Once it has dried, wrap some ribbon onto the sides so the surface is entirely covered
- Start gluing the bigger candy bars onto the side. Use just little glue dots to secure the candy as you don’t want to make a mess!
- Fill the cavity in the middle with smaller chocolate packs, candies etc
- Now wrap the whole thing with cellophane and tie it up with a ribbon and a personal note.
DIY Monogrammed Mugs
Gift your girlfriend a cup with a coffee that has been monogrammed with her initials.
Monogrammed MugWhat You Need:
- 1 plain ceramic coffee cup (white or any other plain colour)
- 1-2 sheets of thick cardstock paper
- Access to an oven
- Acrylic or porcelain paint in a colour of your choice
- Paint brush
- Prepare a stencil with your girlfriend’s initials using the cardstock paper. To do this, first draw the 1-2 letters that you want on the paper. Decide on the size of the initial depending on the size of the cup - it must not be too small or large. You can also use free stencil maker websites to create it.
- Now cut the paper such that the initial part is removed.
- Position your stencil on the mug on desired location, and start painting the carved out portion (of the initial) so that it appears on the mug.
- Remember to keep the stencil firmly positioned as the paint can otherwise seep to the sides, ruining the look.
- Let it dry for 1-2 hours, and then bake it in the oven for 30 mins
DIY Golden Hippo Necklace
How about you make your girlfriend a cute necklace featuring tiny animals? This quirky and adorable necklace will be a charming addition to your girlfriend's collection. Most of the tool supplies can be found in the jewellery section of craft stores, while packets of small animals can be found in toy stores.
DIY Animal NecklaceWhat You Need:
- 1 tiny plastic toy animal
- Gold spray paint
- Mini screw eye pins
- Jump ring
- 24 inch gold chain
- Needle nose pliers
- Screw in eye pin into the middle section of the toy firmly
- Spray paint the toy with golden paint. Make sure to apply 2-3 coasts so the paint looks even
- If the chain is open, then open one end of chain and link it to the other end and close it firmly with pliers
- Now open the jump ring with pliers, connect the eye pin and the chain and close it securely….voila - you are done!
The Thought Counts More Than Perfection!
If you are an inexperienced crafter it is natural to be worried about getting a good gift at the end of all your effort. But don’t worry - a few imperfections won’t matter to your girlfriend since the gesture alone speaks volumes about your love. However be sure start well in time to when you want to give the gift – if you feel your DIY attempts are not cutting it, then you will have the time to buy her a gift!
The devil is in the details!
It's the smallest things that girls pay attention to and it's the details that will win her over. We don't mean intricate details or a fantastic design - use the colours she loves, the candy that sends her over the moon, a design featuring an animal that makes her go puppy-eyed, or a secret wish she will hardly believe you remembered. Make a gift that is all heart and she will scarcely notice that it is slightly sloppy - not that this gives you an excuse to not give it your absolute best shot!