Why Must a Gentlemen Wear a Wristwatch
In recent years, watches have almost vanished from the wrists of men. Young men see them as dated, old-fashioned, and even obsolete. Their most common answer is 'My smartphone tells me the time, so why would I need a wristwatch?' And it’s sad.
It was during World War I that soldiers tired of fishing around their pockets to find the ubiquitous pocket watch started wearing it on a bracelet on their wrists. Until then, a watch worn on a bracelet was considered strictly women’s fashion. Initially ridiculed by the public as a silly trend – wrist watches soon became the norm as their practicality made pocket watches obsolete. Why should a modern man wear a wrist watch when he could easily consult his phone for a quick time-check? Well here is the answer.
Watches are Convenient
Phones don’t keep you punctual, watches do. A wrist watch is the most convenient way to tell the time. Fishing for a cell phone on regular occasions just to check the time looks desperate. A quick glance towards your wrist is a much classier way to keep tabs on time during a date or a meeting. Not to mention how rude it would seem to your companions if you pulled out your phone during a conversation. On other occasions where it’s advisable to leave the phone concealed – like the beach, a funeral, a wedding, a meeting, a watch is a much more subtle and convenient way to check time.
Watches Provide Simplicity
The best watches don’t use the latest technology. They are powered by ingenious mechanical clockwork technology that predates electricity. So when your cell phone runs out battery – you can trust the technology that keeps running on your wrist. When you wear a watch – it’s less likely you will fall back on your phone as a distraction. Checking the phone for time results in a rabbit-trail of activities including checking every messenger app, email and Facebook. When you need to keep track of something as important as time – a unique device to measure and manage it is justified.
Watches Signal Style, Confidence and Accountability
Want to know one of the quickest and easiest ways to dramatically improve your style? Add subtle, classic, male-fashion accessories (like a watch) to your outfit. Not only does a watch make you look instantly more stylish, but it makes you look dramatically more put together. The range of acceptable jewellery for a man is limited. Many men are only going to be seen with three main accessories decorating their hands – a nice watch, a stylish pair of cuff links, and a simple wedding band if they’re married. In addition to helping wearers stick to their schedules, wristwatches make it easier for them to display their sense of style.
They are a form of self-expression – reflecting hint of danger, adventure and sports depending on the make of the watch. Watches can communicate a lot about the wearer’s personality. For those that prefer a bit of high-status bling on their wrist, a Rolex can be an understated, timeless and incredibly masculine accessory. As the saying goes – 'boys look at their smartphones to check time – men look at a watch'. Call it what you will, a quality luxury watch is a man’s equivalent to the engagement ring.
What are the Different Types of Watches
- Analog Watch: Analog watches have displays with a miniature clock-face with 12 hours, an hour hand, and a minute hand and a second hand. There are analog watches with traditional numbers and analog watches with Roman numerals.
- Digital Watch: Digital Watch is a watch in which the hours, minutes, and sometimes seconds are indicated by digits, rather than by hands on a dial.
- Automatic Watch: An automatic watch is a watch that continues to operate due to the regular motion of the wearer’s wrist. Automatic wristwatches don’t need winding if worn daily. The energy is stored by using a half-disc metal weight, called a rotor that spins when the arm is moved. This energy is used to power the watch and can keep the watch going at night or while the watch isn’t being worn. Stored energy in an automatic wristwatch can keep an unworn watch running for 24 to 48 hours.
- Chronograph Watch: “Chronograph” is just a fancy word for “stopwatch.” Using a chronograph is easy. You just press the start/stop button on the side of the watch to start or stop the stopwatch; push the bottom button to reset back to zero. The chronograph function on chrono watch dials lets you time races and events.
- Diving Watch: Diving Watch is a watch designed for underwater diving that features, water greater resistance, upto 100 m. The typical diver’s watch will have a water resistance of around 200 to 300 m, though modern technology allows the creation of diving watches that can go much deeper.
- Quartz Watch: A quartz watch is powered by an electronic oscillator synchronized by quartz crystal. The electric current causes the quartz inside to pulsate with a precise frequency. The frequency is broken down through an integrated circuit where power is released through a small stepping motor setting the watch hands in motion. Quartz watches will need battery replacements from time to time.
- Mechanical Watch: A mechanical watch is a watch that uses a mechanism to measure the passage of time, as opposed to modern quartz watches which function electronically. It is driven by a spring (called a mainspring) which must be wound periodically. This makes the ‘ticking’ sound characteristic of all mechanical watches.
- Pilot Watch: Gracing the wrist of pilots, these aviation timepieces have reached the apex of the ideal fusion of style and durability. From the Fortis Aviatis collection to squadron watches, pilot watches are tough and ready for anything.
- Smart Watch: A smart watch is a portable device that’s designed to be worn on the wrist, just like a traditional watch. Smart watches, however, like smartphones, have touchscreens, support apps, you can meke calls and check cell phone notifications, record heart rate and other vital signs.
- Luxury Watch: These watches are great for watch collectors or watch connoisseurs and the ones who appreciate great precision and handcrafted complications in a watch. Such watches are often encased in precious gemstones and other expensive materials.
Things to Keep in Mind When Selecting a Watch
When planning to buy a new watch, it is becoming ever increasingly difficult to select one given the seemingly ever expanding variety of choices. Irrespective of all of the foregoing, always purchase a watch that truly appeals to you, and suits your way of life. With that said, here are some practical things to consider when choosing a watch that is right for you.
- What are your reasons for purchasing a new watch? Do you want a simple watch for daily use, or do you need a stylish timepiece that will work well with your manner of dress? Do you wear a watch when you exercise or play sports?
- The moment you decide on the real purpose of buying a watch, the next thing to consider is the materials it is made with. The latest priciest timepieces that are available in the market consist of technologically advanced materials, like scratch-proof ceramics. Most watches are made with gold, platinum, titanium and other high-end materials. Less expensive watches are usually made with aluminium or plastic.
- Remember though, depending on what you are spending, traditional materials and designs stand the test of time.
- The weight or size of a watch depends on a person’s personal preference. Some individuals want something lightweight, while others prefer a robust feel on their wrist.
- Watches have a wide range of features and functions, but in reality, most wearers only use the calendar function. If you love running, you can make use of a chronograph. Apart from that, a lot of unused functions are interesting and add to the detail and appeal of the watch, but will contribute to the cost of the watch. Nowadays, luminous dials and hands are commonly found in formal and sport watches.
- People who frequently wash their hands, like doctors and nurses, should consider purchasing a watch with a metal band. This allows washing the timepiece off easily with no residue of unwanted bacteria, etc.
- Whenever you choose a watch with a bracelet, always make sure that it has an adjustable band in order to obtain the best fit to your wrist possible.
Top 10 Wristwatch Brands in India
Most popular watch brands in India
- Titan: reliable and economic
- Fastrack: trendy designs
- Casio: functional and economic
- Tissot: wide range in terms of technology and design
- Tommy Hilfiger: glamorous watches
- Rado: luxury watches
- Tag Heuer: symbol of status and class
- Omega: perfection in design, luxury
- Rolex: leader in luxury watches
- Diesel: Italian designer watches
Best Watches to Gift Your Boyfriend in 2018
Casual Analog White Dial Men's Watch
Fastrack Casual Analog White Dial Men's Watch is a white round dial watch with a mineral glass and brown leather band. It works on quartz movement and is analog. The case is made of brass. You can buy this watch on amazon.in for Rs 1,450.
Analog Black Dial Men's Watch
Fossil Analog Black Dial Men's Watch is a black round dial watch with stainless steel band. The movement is quartz and is analog. You can buy it on amazon.in for Rs.9,995.
Titan Karishma Analog Watch
Titan Regalia Watch is also an analogue watch with quartz movement. The strap is metallic in golden colour. You can buy it on flipkart.com Rs.2,155.
Fitbit Versa Health and Fitness Smartwatch,
With Fitbit Versa Health and Fitness Smartwatch, you can track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Get pure pulse continuous, wrist based heart rate monitoring with no uncomfortable chest straps. See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts. Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross training, biking and more. Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display when your phone is nearby. Start a fit star workout on your wrist and get step by step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly. You can order it on amazon.in for Rs.13,499.
Useful Accessories for Your Boyfriend's Favourite Wristwatch
Vintage Watch Storage Box
A watch box is a wonderful item allowing a gentleman or lady to display his or her entire collection of chronometers, jewellery, accessories, etc. The Watch and Jewellery Case is perfect for anyone who wants to display their large collection without spending a lot in the process. Medetai® Luxury Watch Box 10 Grid Leather Watches Box Jewelry Display Collection Storage Case Watch Organizer is finely crafted with genuine leather and considerate design, giving all users an awesome experience. It can be bought on amazon.in for Rs.1,700. If your boyfriend already has plenty of watches, or the kind he wears are far beyond your budget, this is the ideal gift for him.
Steel Buckle Push-up
Is your man having trouble with the strap of his favourite watch, or does he waste a lot of time closing the clasp on it? How about upgrading his existing watch. SWISS REIMAGINED Deployment Clasp Buckle - Brushed Gold Stainless Steel Butterfly With Polished Push Button Release Mech - 18mm is fashionable and high-end wristwatch buckle. It provides easy adjustment and lock closure with spring pin or bar. With double push button deployment clasp, the buckle will snap open when you press the 2 buttons. The general style of the strap is fit for most watches with standard lug. You can buy it on amazon.in for Rs.4,409.
Watch Band Strap
Even with the most expensive watches, the band strap holder loop gets worn out or or not available. Well, Ritche 4 Pieces Size 20Mm Black Rubber Replacement Watch Band Strap Loops are you saviour. If your strap loop usually breaks earlier than your main strap, you can replace it with this loop holder. They can fit any watch and are made of durable silicone rubber. It comes in a set of 4. You can buy them on paytmmall.com for Rs. 2,354. If your boyfriend is constantly breaking the strap holder on his watch, buy him a pack of these with the watch.
Portable Wristwatch Repair Kit
This DIY Crafts Watch Repair Kit, Electrapick Professional Spring Bar Tool Set is small, lightweight, easy to use, durable, and is dedicated to watchmaking. This Portable handy box set design is easy to carry and can be set in different positions for different size cases. With complete watch repair tool set it is a good helper to your watch. It tool set includes customized case band link remover, customized case unlock, stainless steel clamp, spring bar remover, holders watch case, the watch case opener knife, 3pcs precision screwdriver, 3pcs pin punch, storage case and spare pin. You can buy it on amazon.in for Rs.2,930.
Steel Band Bracelet
Stainless Steel Band Bracelet for Fitbit Fitbit Charge 2 Smartband is stainless steel watch strap. Its a good wristband replacement for Fitbit Fitbit Charge 2 Smartband. The perfect finish of the band is polished and stunning. The stainless steel material makes it corrosion and rust resistant. Its folding clasp is nice and classic in design as well as easy to handle. You can buy this stylish, elegant and exquisite band on Flipkart for Rs.799.
Extra Stylish Leather Straps
Kolet Croco Padded 18 mm Leather Watch Strap is a perfect replacement strap for your timepiece. Its tan in colour and is made of genuine leather. You can buy it on flipkart.com for Rs.350.
Suitable Budget for Buying Watches
In the current market, the low end watches are available for a few hundred rupees whereas for high end watches, sky is the limit. Let’s face facts. Very few can afford a Rs.1,50,000 watch. Perhaps a few more can afford a Rs.50,000 watch. Not everyone can afford even a Rs.15,000 watch. That’s why, we do our best to talk about products at various price points, rather than just focusing on the most expensive products on the market, because we believe that style should not depend on how much money you have in the bank. Buy what you like, what you can afford and what you can justify. For most of us, Rs.5,000 is a good budget to buy a nice watch.
Carefully Weight Your Options
Let's face it, a watch is an expensive gift and even the most affordable ones will easily cost a few thousands. It's also something your boyfriend will wear for a long time. There are people who coordinate and match accessories with their outfits, but most men will strap on the same trusty watch day after day without a second thought, so pick a timepiece that he will enjoy looking at daily. Prioritise functionality, quality and reliability when buying a watch for anyone as a gift.