Healthy and Versatile Eggs for Breakfast
A common question asked for fun is, "what came first, the chicken or the egg? No, one really knows the answer, but according to the Bible, the chicken came first. Genesis 1:19-20 says, “And God said, ‘Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven." but does it really matters what came first as long as we know the importance of having eggs and what do we gain from it? Here are a few things we should know about eggs which will convince you to have them almost every day and stay fit.
Things You Should Know about Eggs
An egg is an excellent source of protein and nutrients. It also has iron which is absorbed by the body if you have it with citrus fruits like peaches papayas, broccoli and peas etc.
Another important thing to know about eggs is that the colour of the shell has nothing to do with the amount of nutrients it has. Most of the unsaturated fat is found in the yolk on an egg with bits of help in absorption of fat-soluble vitamin D, E and A with lutein, zeaxanthin etc. A lot of people throw away the yolk, but if you do so you are losing out on most of its nutrients so egg up the yolk too folks.
It is not only the eggs that are good for you, but you can use the eggshells as well. If you are into gardening, then you can use crushed eggshells by adding it to your compost which increases the calcium and other nutrients for the plants. You can leave the eggs shells and let them dry for a few days, or you can bake them in an oven and then use it in your garden to get healthy plants.
The egg is very good for pregnant women. Choline found in an egg helps in developing the fetal brain by improving the area used for memory and learning in kids and adults.
We have compiled a few delicious recipes of eggs you can have for breakfast and start a healthy day but before that, let us look into the benefits of having eggs every day.
Benefits of Eating Eggs for Breakfast
If you like to eat eggs and are eating it regularly, then you are right, but if you are still apprehensive about eating eggs each day, then you need to read on and learn about the benefits and egg bring to you.
- 1. An egg is a nutritious treat. Although an egg is usually small, it is loaded with healthy nutrients. A large boiled egg has about 77 calories. It has vitamin A, B5, B12, D, E, K, and B6. It also has folate, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, and zinc, six grams of protein and five grams of healthy fats.
- 2. You can take in protein through many different foods, but an egg is loaded with high-quality protein. One egg has about 6.3 grams of high-quality protein in it. Protein strengthens and repairs your tissues and keeps your body young. It has nine essential amino acids which are needed by the body to grow, therefore don't think twice before having an egg in the morning.
- 3. An egg keeps you full for an extended period. The protein and fat found in an egg increase your energy and keeps you feeling full for a long time which reduces your craving for a snack, thus leading to a maintained weight.
- 4. People often think that egg might be the reason for increased cholesterol, but research proves it otherwise. An egg will not increase your chances of having a heart attack.
- 5. As mentioned before, Choline found in the egg helps in improving your brain development and functions, therefore go ahead and feed an egg to your child every day.
- 6. Egg has lutein and zeaxanthin which assemble in the retina of the eyes. By having an egg each day, you decrease the risk of having cataracts and macular degeneration. It also has high amounts of vitamin A which if less, can cause blindness.
So, now that you are aware of the benefits of having an egg let us look into some great tasting recipes you can make for breakfast and feed your family.
6 Egg Recipes for Breakfast
This recipe is a traditional Parsi speciality. It is easy to make, and you can have it with a piece of bread, bun or a pav.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon seas salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 green cayenne pepper (long green chilli), sliced
- few sprigs of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Start with heating some oil or ghee in a frying pan
- 2. Put onions and saute them for a couple of minutes until they are soft and caramelized.
- 3. Now, add tomato, salt, sugar, ketchup and chilli flakes
- 4. Cook for about 5 minutes, till you see the tomatoes soften up.
- 5. Spread this mixture evenly on the frying pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- 6. Crack the eggs on top of it and move the pan around so that the eggs spread over the tomato mixture.
- 7. Now cover the pan with a vented lid.
- 8. Cook it for about 2 minutes till you see the yolks cooked properly
- 9. Remove it from the stove and sprinkle some black pepper over it.
- 10. Garnish it with green chilli and coriander and serve hot with the bread of your choice.
Egg and Cheddar Cheese Sandwich
Another excellent tasting breakfast you can make with egg is the Egg and Cheddar Cheese Sandwich. Sandwiches are a hit among kids and are fairly easy to make. This one has cheese in it; therefore, people love having it in the morning to get enough energy through the day.
- To taste salt
- A pinch of Pepper
- 20-gram cheddar cheese
- 2 Ham slices
- 1 Tbsp of mustard sauce
- 3 Basil leaves
- 1. Take a cupcake tray and grease it well
- 2. Take an egg and break it in the mould and sprinkle/dust it with salt and pepper
- 3. Preheat your oven for 15 minutes and put the tray with the egg in it
- 4. Let the egg bake for 5 minutes
- 5. Now take the egg out and chop it in medium-sized pieces
- 6. Take ham and cheese and mix it with it and heat it in the microwave for a couple of minutes till you see the cheese melt
- 7. Take the mixture and put it on the toast, add basil and mustard to it.
- 8. Serve it with a nice cup of hot coffee.
Mumbai Style Egg Bhurji
If you like eggs, you will love the Mumbai style bhurji. It is a delicious preparation and is quite famous in India. This recipe is loaded with spices and is a great treat to have in the morning.
- 4 eggs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Green chillies or as per taste
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- As per taste pav bhaji masala
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- As per taste salt
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1. Take a large bowl and whisk the eggs in it, keep it aside
- 2. Take a pan and put oil or ghee in it and heat it
- 3. Put jeera, onions, hing, green chillies, curry leaves, capsicum and ginger in it and saute for a few minutes
- 4. Now put in tomatoes and some coriander leaves in it and cook for 2 minutes
- 5. Add in 1 Tbsp butter, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix properly.
- 6. Put in the eggs and keep whisking it until it is cooked
- 7. Add in butter and garnish it with some more coriander leaves
- 8. Serve it hot with the pav to have it in the Mumbai style.
If you can't think of anything to make early in the morning right before you send your kids off to school, try making scrambled eggs. It is probably the easiest egg dish you can make in a couple of minutes. It is tasty and healthy and you can either eat it plain or have it with bread. Here is how you can make it.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1. Take butter and melt it in a non-stick pan over medium-low heat
- 2. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, add salt to it
- 3. Let the butter bubble then put the eggs in it and move it around in small circles without stopping. It should take about 30 seconds till you see the eggs thicken
- 4. Now move your spatula in long sweeps across the pan until you see large creamy curds of eggs
- 5. Remove the pan when you see the eggs softened and slightly runny.
- 6. Garnish it with black pepper if you like and serve it immediately.
Oats Egg Omelette
Another healthy and tasty egg preparation for breakfast it the Oats egg omelette. You can make it in a few minutes, and it will keep you full for a long time.
- 1 cup Instant Oats (Oatmeal)
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum), finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 3-4 tablespoons Milk
- 2 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1. In a broad bowl mix all the ingredients like you do for making a normal omelette
- 2. Take a pan and heat it, pour a little oil and pour half of the omelette mix on it.
- 3. Cook for a few minutes
- 4. Flip it and let it cook again
- 5. Serve it with bread and a healthy fruit smoothie for a complete nutritious breakfast to kick start your day.
Masala Cheese French Toast
This is a classic French toast with an Indian twist. It has herbs and cheese in it, which makes it extra tasty. Your family will love having it early in the morning before they head out for a busy day.
- 3 Tbsp Chilli tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3 slices white or brown bread
- 4 slices Cheese
- 4 Egg whites
- 1 Spring onion
- 2 Green chillies
- Few Coriander leaves
- 2-3 Basil leaves
- 1 Bunch Chives, small
- To taste Salt
- To cook Olive oil
- 1. Throw in spring onions, basil, green chillies, coriander and chives in a blender and blend it to make the herb paste
- 2. Take a bowl and mix in chilli tomato ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise for the sauce
- 3. Take another bowl and whisk the egg whites, add salt and herb paste to it
- 4. Take a slice of bread and spread the sauce paste on it, put 2 cheese slices on it as well
- 5. Take another slice and do the same as mentioned in step 4. Let it chill for a couple of minutes
- 6. Now dip the bread cheese sauce sandwich in the egg mixture
- 7. Take a pan and put olive oil on it and cook the French toast till it is golden brown on both the sides
- 8. Cut it into fingers and serve hot with sauce or chutney.
The Basic Egg Breakfast: Boiled Eggs
Boiled eggs are the easiest to make, they are delicious, and you can turn them into an egg chat or a sandwich in a jiffy. People often are not sure how to perfectly boil an egg. Follow these tips to boil it, and you will be pleased with the results.
- 1. Put eggs in a saucepan and cover it with cold water. ( It is best to boil the eggs you have had in the fridge for a week or two as they are easier to peel off)
- 2. Place the pan over high heat and let the water boil
- 3. Remove the pan from the stove and cover it (eggs boil in hot water, therefore, there is no need to keep boiling them for a long time on the stove)
- 4. Leave the eggs in hot water for 15to 17 minutes depending on the size of the eggs
- 5. Drain the water and put the eggs in ice water (if you want to chop the eggs, crack them a little before putting them in ice water and leave them for an hour or so)
- 6. Set the egg on the counter and give it a spin. Tap your finger on the egg to stop it from spinning, and if it is well boiled then it spins and stops quickly, but raw eggs will take some time.
Another tip for perfectly boiled eggs is to add some sea salt in the water before boiling the eggs because salt increases the temperature of the water, which is not the same as boiling faster. Salt also helps in seal the cracks on the eggs and makes it easier to peel it after it cools off.
You can also add some vinegar or apple cider vinegar to the water. It softens the shells and makes it easier to peel it.
Kick-start your day with this yummy and healthy egg breakfast recipes!
Eggs are versatile and you can use them in so many delicious recipes that make the first meal of your day the best of them all. Breakaway from the average breakfast and make one of from our collection of breakfast egg recipes! Transform the simple, affordable egg into a flavorful. So what are you waiting for? Get cracking!