Health Benefits of Eating Biryani
Biryani Helps with Digestion and Detoxifies Internal Organs
One of the very healthy benefits of biryani is that it helps with the digestion process. This is because of the ingredients like garlic, ginger, and turmeric. These have a positive impact on production of saliva, bile, and gastric enzymes, that aid in digestion. They help to speed up the movement of food from the stomach to the small intestine and soothes the intestinal tract.
Furthermore, biryani also helps in the detoxification of organs. It contains various anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredients that thoroughly detoxify the body. Black pepper, cumin, and saffron, etc which to speed up the metabolic process and burn calories more quickly.
It Promotes Heart As Well As Brain Health
Fish biryani is not only tasty but is also full of nutrition and is really healthy. This is because seafood is rich in omega-3 and contains less content of saturated fats, yet high content of proteins that improves cardiovascular health. Various studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids found in fish reduce the risk of heart disease, particularly sudden cardiac death.
In addition to all that, it also promotes brain health. The essential oils found in fish help build membranes around each cell in the body, including the brain cells. They can, therefore, enhance the structure of brain cells and neurons, thereby increasing the flow of blood to the brain.
Good for Your Joints and Skin
Biryani is made up of using various spices that provide anti-oxidants to the body and help to reduce joint pain. The turmeric blocks inflammatory cytokines and enzymes in two inflammatory pathways, which reduce the joint pain and swelling. Furthermore, the garlic present in biryani can help fight inflammation and may even help prevent cartilage damage from arthritis.
In addition to all that, all the spices and herbs help to improve the texture of the skin. They provide a radiant effect and a youthful appearance. Rice contains natural antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin-A, phenolic and flavonoid compounds, which may lessen free radical damage from age, sun, and the environment.
Veg Biryani Recipes That You Should Surely Give A Try
One Pot Indian-Style Vegetable Biryani Recipe
This delicious biryani is full of nutrition and is low in fat content. You can serve this flavourful dish with kachumber salad and cucumber raita. The ingredients that you need to make this recipe are two cups basmati rice, one cup green peas, two diced medium carrots, two cup cauliflower florets, two large finely sliced onions, one cup green beans, half a cup curd, 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint, 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 3 green chilies, four cup water or vegetable stock and one tbsp lemon juice. The dried masala ingredients required are 3 cloves garlic minced, one tsp black cumin seeds, and two tbsp biryani masala, and a dash of salt.
Here is how you can make this recipe in easy steps:
- Start by soaking the basmati rice in cold water for about fifteen minutes and keep them aside.
- Take a pot with a heavy bottom and heat the oil on high heat and add onions. Sauté them for almost 7-8 minutes until or until they turn golden brown.
- Add black cumin, minced garlic, and green chili and stir fry them for one minute before adding cauliflower, carrots, and French beans.
- Sauté these vegetables on medium to high heat for about ten minutes.
- Afterward, add in yogurt, lemon juice, green peas, and rice. Now, add salt, biryani masala, and slightly mix the rice. Cook them for about 30 sec and then, add the vegetable stock and bring it to boil.
- Lastly, add freshly chopped mint and cilantro and cook the biryani mixture on low heat for about twenty minutes. Do not overcook the rice or else they become sticky.
Paneer Malai Makhani Biryani Recipe
This traditional Indian Biryani recipe is really easy to make and takes just three-quarters of an hour to make. The ingredients that you need to make this dish are one cup basmati rice, four teaspoons Ghee, two teaspoons of ginger garlic paste, 2 onions sliced, two teaspoons biryani masala, three teaspoons lemon juice, salt to taste, 200 grams of paneer or homemade cottage cheese cubed, one teaspoon turmeric powder, one teaspoon red chili powder, two teaspoons Homemade tomato puree, four teaspoons hung curd, one teaspoon lemon juice, half a teaspoon ginger garlic paste, 2 teaspoons of sunflower oil, salt according to your taste.
The method for cooking this amazing recipe is as follows:
- Start by cooking the rice in the boiling water and a dash of salt. Make sure rice is neither undercooked or overcooked. Keep them aside and continue with the gravy.
- Take a bowl and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, tomato puree, curd, lime juice, and salt in it.
- Cut the paneer in cubes and coat it well with the spices.
- Heat the oil in the pan and stir-fry the marinated paneer for five to eight minutes. Sauté till paneer turn golden from both sides.
- Remove the cubes from the pan and keep them aside.
- Sauté the onions in the oil until they turn translucent or brown. Then, add the rice, 3/4 fried onions, and the biryani masala and cook it for about a minute.
- Place the next layer along with the remaining onions and place the paneer mixture on the top. You can also sprinkle some fresh lime juice and salt to add more flavour to it.
- Serve it with fresh salad and mint raita.
Mushroom Biryani Recipe
Mushroom Biryani is one of the most healthy and famous dishes in India. People usually eat it at lunch with pickled onions, among other sides. To make this dish, the ingredients you need are 1 cup soaked basmati rice in cold water for about 15 minutes, one tablespoon of water, one tablespoon of ghee, 3/4 cup paneer cubes. The ingredients required for the marinade are 500 grams of mushrooms, 1/4 cup freshly chopped mint leaves, one green chili slit, three tablespoon fried onions, 1/2 tablespoon biryani masala or garam masala, half a teaspoon of chili powder, half a teaspoon of salt, three teaspoons of ginger garlic paste, and one cup yogurt.
The procedure is mentioned below:
- Take all the ingredients of the marinade ingredients in a bowl and coat the mushrooms in them and let it sit for hours.
- Add water and ghee to the pressure cooker.
- Spread half of the marinated mushrooms uniformly over the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Place a layer of the rice over the mushrooms. You can make as many layers as you want according to the quantity and your preferences.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook the rice at a high temperature for about two whistles. Now, turn the heat off and let the pressure settle.
- Lastly, mix the rice gently and serve with fresh mint raita and cold drinks.
Non-Veg Biryani Recipes
Handi Biryani Recipe
Handi Biryani is a famous South Asian dish known for its flavourful taste and is extremely easy to make. The ingredients that you will be needing to make this recipe are half kg rice, half a cup ghee, 3 medium-sized onions, 250 gm curd, half cup milk, and half kg meat of your choice. Also, half tbsp ginger paste, half tbsp garlic paste, four green cardamoms, 3-4 cloves, one cinnamon stick, 1/4 tbsp kewra essence, and salt to taste.
Handi biryani is not so tricky. You can easily make it by following these simple steps:
- To make this biryani, you will have to separately make the gravy and boil the rice.
- Take a pot or karahi and heat the four tbsp ghee in it on medium flame.
- Add the finely sliced onions and stir them until they turn brown in a caramelized form.
- After this, add ginger and garlic paste, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cook all these ingredients together for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add meat and curd, and cook them until the meat becomes tender and juicy.
- You may also boil it for about forty minutes on medium flame until all the curd is dried up and the meat has absorbed its flavour.
- Add a little ghee again and fry till it turns brown.
- In another pot, take water, add one tbsp vinegar, and boil the rice until they are half cooked.
- Now, place the layer of meat over rice and mix the milk with some saffron and a few drops of kewra. Pour it over the rice and simmer them for about 10 minutes. You can also add yellow food colouring and fresh mint to add more colour and flavour.
Keema Biryani Recipe
Keema Biryani is one of the most delicious rice dishes you can have for lunch. To make this recipe you need 350 gm basmati rice, 3 tsp yogurt or curd, 1 tsp ginger paste, 100 gm ghee, 1 tsp saffron, 3 black cardamoms, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp lime juice, 400 gm minced chicken, 1 large sliced onion, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 cup milk, one and a half piece of cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 1 cup chicken stock, and salt according to your taste.
This biryani dish is very easy to cook and takes only thirty minutes:
- First, boil the rice in water until they are half cook, then remove them, and keep them aside.
- Next, to make the gravy and masala, Heat the oil or ghee in a pot and add onions in it. Stir them for 6-7 minutes until they turn golden brown or caramelized.
- Add all the dried spices and masala and stir fry them for one minute.
- Add minced meat and ginger and garlic paste and cook it for 7-8 minutes on medium to medium-high flame. You can add a dash of salt but make sure you do not add more salt to it until the taste will turn bitter.
- Once the keema is fried and becomes tender, add the curd and red chili powder in it and continue to simmer over low heat for another 3-4 minutes, until a fine aroma arises. Also, make sure that the meat is cooked and the rawness is gone.
- Next, place a layer of rice and put the rice layer over it, you may also pour the saffron milk, and lime juice before placing another layer of rice and meat.
- Pour the chicken stock over the layered biryani and cover with the lid. Next, bake the rice in an oven at a low temperature for 15 minutes or cook on a low flame on the stove for 15 minutes.
- Serve it with mint raita and fresh salad.
Calicut Chicken Biryani Recipe
Calicut Chicken Biryani is one of the most famous Indian dishes as it has a rich taste of flavours, and is neither too spicy nor too mild. However, it is a little time taking, as it is made in three steps. The ingredients required to marinate the chicken are half kg chicken, half cup curd, 25 grams coriander leaves, 25 grams mint leaves, ten grams curry leaves, half tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, half tsp aniseed powder, 25-gram Green chilies, chopped, 20-gram Garlic, 2 tsp ginger chopped, half tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp lime juice, and 1 tsp poppy seed paste.
For the main preparation, you need 1 tsp clarified butter, 5-6 cinnamon pieces, one bay leaf, 4-5 cardamom seeds, 4-5 curry leaves, 4-5 cloves, 1 onion chopped, 250 gram Rice, and 1/2 litre water. Lastly, for the biryani masala, you need 2 tbsp clarified butter, 5-6 cinnamon pieces, one bay leaf, 4-5 cloves, 4-5 cardamom seeds, 1 nutmeg, 100 grams of onions, 1 medium tomato cut in 4 pieces.
Here is the step-by-step of making this recipe from the scratch:
- To marinate the chicken, take all the ingredients and mix them well and apply it to the chicken. Cover it with the lid and keep it in the fridge for about one hour.
- To prepare the rice, add the butter in the pan and heat it.
- Add cinnamon pieces, bay leaf, cardamom seeds, curry leaves, and cloves.
- Next, add onions and fry till they brown and caramelized.
- Add the soaked rice and partially cook them. Now, add water and bring the mixture to the boil. Put the lid and simmer the rice for about fifteen minutes or till the rice becomes tender.
- To make biryani masala, add all the spices and ingredients along with onions and sauté them till they turn brown.
- Next, add tomatoes and marinated chicken. Cover the lid and cook for about five minutes. Remove the lid and cook on low flame for another ten to twelve minutes so that gravy becomes thick.
- Now, layer the rice and the gravy and top with a boiled egg and roasted nuts.
Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe
If you like spicy and flavourful food with some traditional tinge, give this dish a try. The ingredients you need to make this Biryani are, 1 kg meat, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp red chili paste, 1 tbsp green chili paste, half tbsp cardamom powder, 3-4 cinnamon sticks, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 4 cloves, finely chopped mint leaves, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 250 grams of curd, 4 tbsp of clarified butter, 750 grams of semi-cooked rice, 1 tsp saffron, half cup water, and half cup oil.
The method to cook this dish is described below:
- Take a pan and add meat, ginger garlic paste, cardamom powder, red chili powder, green chili paste, salt, sautéed brown onions, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, mace, mint leaves, and lemon juice.
- Mix well all the ingredients and make sure that the meat is tender before adding curd, clarified butter, semi-cooked rice, saffron, water, and oil.
- Now, take a fork and run it through the rice and the spices so that the flavours are distributed evenly.
- Take the sticky dough and apply it to the sides of the pan. Now, put the lid and simmer the rice for 20 minutes.
- Garnish it with mint, cucumbers, and serve hot.
Scheherazade Biryani Recipe
This biryani has a most unique recipe from all other traditional biryani's, with a touch of continental taste. The ingredients you will need for the marinade are Salt, Pepper, Turmeric powder, Garam masala powder, Cornflour (dissolved in water), Eggs, Ghee, Whole garam masala (bread loaf, clove, coriander, fennel, black cardamom, cinnamon, red chili, Onion, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Tomato, Coriander, Yogurt, Basmati rice, Grouper fish fillet (or any white fish of your choice, cut in one into one), and Oil. The dried ingredients are, Cumin seeds, Green capsicum finely diced, Green peas, Cashew nuts, Raisins, Saffron, Kewra water, Rosewater, Mint, and Red chili powder.
Here is the most simple and fool proof way to cook this unique recipe:
- To get started with this recipe, marinate the fish with salt, pepper, turmeric, garam masala, cornflour, and egg for about 20 minutes.
- Next, heat the ghee in the pot and add garam masala, onion, ginger paste, and garlic paste.
- Add chopped tomato, coriander, and yogurt. Then, add water according to the requirement.
- On the second boil throw the rice in it and cook it. Simmer the rice without lid for 15 minutes and then, cover it with a tight lid on and leave on dumpukht for about 20 minutes.
- In another pan, stir-fry the marinated fish and put it aside.
- Separately put some oil, cumin seeds, diced capsicum, onion and sauté on high heat.
- Afterward, make a gravy with tomato puree and spices like ginger, garlic paste, and onions. Cook till oil separates and add it in the pan.
- Next, add the fish and layer it with rice and masala. Make as many layers as you want.
- Finally, garnish it with fried onions, cashews, and raisins. You may also add rosewater and kewra for aroma.
Best Raitas to Serve with Biryani
Aloo Raita Recipe
Aloo raita is a very famous Indian accompaniment that you can eat with Biryani, paratha, and any sabzi of your choice. The ingredients required to make it are 2 cups boiled, peeled, and diced potatoes, 2 cups yogurt, black pepper, cumin seeds, salt, red pepper, and chopped coriander leaves. Start by whisking the yogurt until it becomes smooth. Next, add all the ingredients and mix well to distribute the taste evenly. Finally, garnish it with coriander and serve chilled.
Cucumber Raita Recipe
Cucumber raita is a very refreshing side that you can eat with rice. The ingredients required to make it are diced cucumbers, yogurt, black pepper, cumin seeds, salt, mint, green chilies chopped, and chopped coriander leaves. Start by whisking the yogurt until it becomes smooth. Then, add chopped cucumber, green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, and salt. Give it a good mix and serve with hot biryani.
Mint Raita Recipe
Mint raita has a refreshing minty taste and a subtle lemony flavour that you can eat with any traditional food. The ingredients required to make it are yogurt, red chili powder, cumin seeds, salt, chaat masala, green chilies chopped, and chopped coriander leaves. Start by whisking the yogurt until it becomes smooth. Then, add chopped mint, green chilies, coriander leaves, chaat masala, red chili, and salt. Combine all the ingredients well and serve with food.
Make a New Biryani Recipe By Using Leftover Food!
The oldest trick in the kitchen to use leftover food from your refrigerator is to add a layer of it in between the rice and make a biryani out of it! You can use practically anything like korma, kofta, chana gravy, or mixed vegetable gravy. You can even use dry roast, kebabs or tikka boti by making gravy of it and using it in biryani. Just adjust spices according to your taste and garnish the rice with some fresh coriander and zarda colouring.