What is an Instant Pot?
If you love slow pressure cooking you'll love the instant pot. They are getting popular day by day because they are easy to cook and do not need a babysitter to watch it while the food cook. The instant pot started as a startup by an entrepreneur and Dr. Robert J. Wang in 2008. They aimed to make the process of pressure cooking easier. They invested more than $300,000 and spend around 18 months to come up with a perfect instant pot. The first instant pot made its appearance on Amazon in 2010 and has been successfully creating ripples in the market since.
An instant pot is an electric pressure multi-cooker that comes with settings for time, the amount of pressure needed for different foods, and temperature controls. You can use it for many different things like steaming, sauté, keeping the food warm, or to make yogurt.
A Pressure Cooker Vs an Instant Pot
Most of us have been using the all favorite stovetop pressure cooker and love it because it cuts down the cooking time by half. Women have been curious about the use or benefits of using an instant pot lately. Here are some differences between the two to make it clearer and easier for you to decide which one you can use.
- Both the cookers can be easily found in the market and have many things in common. Both give your perfectly cooked delicious meals in lesser time. They both are easy to maintain and look nice in the kitchen. They are safe to use. When it comes to using a pressure cooker it makes pressure fast and takes less time to cook food, it is affordable and lasts longer than the electric models, it is very easy to use and maintain. It does have some cons as well like you won't find any cooking programs on it, therefore, you will have to guess or learn to cook food in it, you can only pressure cook food in it and it is quite noisy especially if you have a baby on board and want him to sleep while you cook. For an instant pan: they are multifunctional appliances. You can cook, steam, and do much more in it. You get around 10 safety features without having to fear explosions. It keeps your food warm for a long time, you can simply put in the ingredients and set the timer, and come back to a ready meal, you can easily release the steam with one button which saves a lot of time.
- A stovetop pressure cooker is easy to clean. Just wash it with soap and water and you are done whereas for the instant pot you have different functions and features which can leave you’re overwhelmed.
- You can use a stovetop if you don't have power at home but to use an instant pot you will need electricity for sure.
- You can store a stovetop with other utensils but you will need a designated space for an instant pot.
- A stovetop pressure cooker can stay with you for more than 20 years but an instant pot will need a lot of maintenance to last that long.
- If you like you peace than an instant pot is a good choice for you because a stovetop pressure cooker makes high pitched noise while cooking.
The Many Uses of Instant Pot
Cooking Perfect Rice
An instant pot is a perfect rice cooker. It saves a lot of time as it comes with a specific rice button. Simply throw in the rice, set the timer, and come back to a piping hot plate of rice. You can set the timer to warm and keep it warm until your hubby comes back from work and serve him fresh rice straight from the pot.
Cooking Indian Gravy/Dry Dishes
If you are a beginner and not sure about and what to use an instant pot for then read on. Cooking in an instant pot depends on what you are making especially if you are cooking meat, you can follow the steps below if you like in most dishes especially meat.
Steps for an Instant Pot
- Set your pot so saute mode. Add some oil and if you are cooking meat, then brown it.
- Add in your garlic and onion and brown it too
- Press the cancel button and tap manual followed by pressure
- Go into high-pressure mode by using the plus and minus buttons
- Put the lid on the pot and lock it, make sure it is sealed
- A red button will pop up when enough pressure builds in and the cooking process will start
Sautéing with Your Instant Pot
If you like Chinese food and saute your meat and veggies then you will love your instant pot. An instant pot comes with a saute setting which makes it easy to saute your ingredients. It saves from different pans getting dirty because you can easily saute your food in it and move on to the next step in the pot itself.
Most of us love eating yogurt but hate making it at home although it is not too much work since you can make it in your instant pot you can do it more often now. It does take a little time but it is uncomplicated. You simply need to read the thermometer to check the temperature of the milk and you get creamy and sweet yogurt at home.
Baking a cake is also easy in an instant pot as a matter of fact you are actually steaming a cake in it and get a great tasting moist cake. When you steam a cake in it you won't get a nice crust to it but will get a sponge cake in half an hour or so.
If you are an eggetarian and love to make dishes with hard-boiled eggs then you can use your instant pot for boiling them. When you have a ton of people visiting and want to make a big batch of boiled eggs for salads you can do it easily in your pot in one batch. It also makes it easier to peel the eggs.
Making a Two-Hour Chicken Stock
The instant pot is great for chicken lovers as well, you can make perfect chicken stock and use it in different dishes as well in it. You simply have to follow the same recipe you use in a gas top cooker but the time it takes is much lesser. You can also make soups, stews, etc in it easily.
Making Baby Food
Making baby food in an instant pot is very convenient and almost hands-free. You can make a large batch of baby food in it and store it in the freezer as well. You won't have to use different pots to boil it and cook it, simply do it all in your instant pot and save time.
A Wide Variety of Chicken Dishes
Use your instant pot not only for chicken stock but for making various chicken dishes. You can make shredded chicken, BBQ chicken or chicken chili, or our favorite chicken soup in it. You can also cook a whole chicken in it if you get a large model. So check out some great chicken recipes and start cooking.
Things You Should Know about an Instant Pot
Here are some things you should know about your instant pot before you start using it.
- Most of us think that an instant pot is just like a pressure cooker which is true but an instant pot can be used only with electricity and it is a 7 in 1 tool. You can slow cook, electric pressure cook, use as a rice cooker, make yogurt in it, saute your food, steam your food, and keep the food warm in it.
- An instant pot is a pre-programmed cooker in which you can make a variety of food by setting it up as per the instructions. It also remembers the settings so you won't have to do it each time you make food.
- Instant pots come in various sizes measured in Quarts i.e. 3, 6, 8, or 10. The 3 quart is the mini size to cook for 2 people, 6 quart is to feed 6 people and is the most popular one. You can also get 8 quart which cooks food for 8 people and the 10 quart is for large gatherings or to make a large batch and freeze it to use later.
- People share that one disadvantage of using an instant pot is that you can't see or taste the food while it cooks. You will have to follow the accurate cooking timer, seasoning, and the amount of liquid you but in for a perfect meal.
- You can easily use oven-safe accessories or containers in an instant pot. Cooking time will vary according to the pan you use in it although using a stainless steel pan is recommended as it is a good conductor of heat.
Find Those Diwali Offers
If you're planning on investing in an instant pot, this is the perfect time to get it, as with the festivities caving in, there are a lot of offers not only online but also in stores, and you can save a lot of money. You can check the sales online, and then go to the stores, and pick the one that offers you the best price, and also serves your needs!