Beat the Heat with Watermelon Cocktails
With summers on the peak, the consumption of watermelons goes up for a certain period. You can add this sweet as well as short hydrating fruit or its alcohol blends to your regular diet. With so much to give, it is difficult for any other fruit to beat the watermelon. If you are fond of drinking alcoholic drinks, cocktails made using the fruit could be the best refreshing drink on your summer menu for beating the heat with style. Being light, easy, and simple-to-make, these cocktails include mostly four ingredients. And, a serving of the tasty summer epitome is likely to contain as low as 120 calories.
Let's Understand Cocktails First
What is a Cocktail?
A cocktail is an iced wine drink or distilled liquor that is blended with flavoring ingredients. It is a refreshing liquor that consists of any type of spirits like sugar, bitters, and water. In the 1800s, only a simple cocktail was known while other things had distinct names, and mixed drinks developed over time. And today, almost everyone loves this unique category. In the 1900s, the definition was expanded and it included all the mixed drinks prepared in the shaker as well.
Types of Liquor to Make Cocktails
This is a transparent distilled liquor that originated from Russia and Poland. It generally consists of ethanol and water, and occasionally contains some flavorings too. Its distillation uses any type of plants that are high in sugar or starch like potatoes or rye. Nowadays, some modern brands use sugar or fruits as their base. The benefit of drinking vodka is its low-calorie content. Some of the famous vodka cocktails are Screwdriver, Bloody Mary, and Cosmopolitan.
This is another colorless beverage that is made from the plant of blue agave. The area surrounding Tequila city at the Gaudalaraja northwestern is the origin of distillation. Generally, in Mexico, tequila is served with meat and at the bars, served as a shot with lime and salt across the world. The most popular tequila cocktails are Margarita, Paloma, and Tequila Sunrise.
This is another famous type of distilled alcohol that is made from the juniper berries flavorings. There are four types of GIN available in the market.
- Juniper flavored spirits that have a minimum of 30% alcohol.
- Gin, which is prepared by adding a flavor of juniper to the neutral spirit.
- London Gin uses a mixture of methanol and ethanol.
- Distilled Gin, made by redistilling the Ethanol before mixing the flavor of juniper.
Rum is prepared after distilling the sugarcane juice or molasses and is one of the most preferred spirit types. Its origin is based in American or Caribbean countries but is mostly manufactured in sugar-generating countries such as India and the Philippines. Normally, light rum is used in cocktails. Besides, it is also used to make various dishes such as cake. Some famous rum cocktails include Pina Colada, Mojito, hot buttered rum, and Daiquiri.
Whiskey is a distilled alcoholic beverage prepared from fermented wheat, corn, barley, and rye. Then, it is aged in wooden casks and generally prepared from charred white oak. It is a purely regulated spirit with various kinds and classes. Mint julep is the refreshing and cooling whiskey cocktail. The old fashioned, Whiskey Sour, and Sazerac are some other famous whiskey cocktails.
Brandy is prepared by distilled wine and often drunk after dinner. It generally contains 35 to 60% alcohol and some of the brandies are prepared in wooden casks. Brandy represents the liquor obtained from the pomace distillation or other fruit wine. Some famous brandy cocktails are Sazerac, Brandy Daisy, The Sidecar, and Vieux Carre.
10 Watermelon Cocktails
Whether it’s a watermelon liquor or fresh watermelon, lots of cocktail recipes are available out there. Though watermelon cocktails are delicious, fun, and best for the hot summer days. These refreshing cocktails include variations on margaritas, spiked lemonade, mojitos, and martinis. Some of the best cocktails with watermelon are explained below:
Independence Day Mojito
The Independence Day Mojito is a simple cocktail with an easy-to-make recipe. You just have to make a little variation in the original mojito with the addition of raspberries and watermelon cubes. You can also add fresh mint to this drink. To make this cocktail, you need watermelon, syrup, mint sprig, mint leaves, lime juice, soda, white rum, and raspberries.
- First of all, collect all the ingredients.
- Add watermelon, raspberries, and mint leaves in the cocktail and muddle it well.
- Then, add lime juice, simple syrup, rum, and ice in the shaker. Shake it vigorously and strain into the highball glass above fresh ice.
- Next, fill its top with the soda and garnish with the mint sprig.
- Voila! Your drink is ready to serve.
Margarita is another recipe that includes the watermelony sweet taste. This cocktail makes use of liquor of watermelon and comes as a perfect method to use an over-sized fruit. Follow the recipe below to make this refreshing and amazing drink in the hot summer days.
- Carry half a cup of sugar, orange zest, and water in a pan and stir continually.
- Place on the low heat until the sugar gets properly dissolved.
- Then, remove it from the flame and let it stand still for cooling.
- In a food processor or blender, add watermelon and process until it pureed.
- In this puree, add lime juice, simple syrup, and tequila.
- In a saucer, put a small amount of sugar and salt.
- Then, rub margarita glasses edge with the lime. And, gently dip the glass rim into a saucer and remove excess sugar or salt.
- At last, fill these glasses with the ice and pour a mixture of margarita, garnish with the lime wedges.
When making this at your home, you can add flavours as per your taste. If you want a sweeter drink, add lime juice and watermelon splash. Similarly, for a spicier drink, add some jalapeno slices.
One of the best venues of sweet melon is Martini. For this recipe, you will need fresh juice, which serves as a perfect base for the vodka martini. Ready to prepare a fresh and delicious martini in the summer with colorful addition of juicy and fruity watermelon?
- Gather ingredients like watermelon, ice cubes, simple syrup, watermelon juice, salt, sugar, and vodka.
- In a small bowl or saucer, combine sugar and salt and pour it into the shallow or small plate.
- Then, rub martini glass chilled rim with watermelon cube and moisten. And, dip glass rim in the mixture of sugar and salt.
- In the cocktail shaker, pour watermelon juice, lime juice, simple syrup, vodka, and fill with ice until it blends well.
- Pour this mixture into the glass and strain out the ice cubes.
- You are ready with your drink to be served.
Spiced Watermelon Cooler
One of the best pairings of fresh watermelon is with cucumbers. These are the 2 main ingredients used to make watermelon cooler recipe and cut out the heat on those hot summer days. The American Gin of floral aviation is used as a base while fresh fruits finished off with the soda are also used. To prepare this recipe, you need a seedless watermelon, water, salt, sugar, and lime juice.
- In a food processor or blender, put half watermelon and process it until it becomes smooth.
- Via a sieve, strain watermelon into a pitcher, and remove solids.
- Repeat this process with the remaining melon.
- Then, stir in sugar, salt, half a cup of water, and lime juice. Add ice over it and your recipe is ready to serve.
It is the best recipe to drink in the afternoon time of summer. You can also garnish it with lime slices and mint. Besides, you can also add some ounces of white rum or vodka if you want.
This recipe is a perfect combination of honey syrup and black pepper which makes it more interesting. Probably, because peppercorn’s spices balance the natural sweetness of watermelon juice. At times, when you are willing to make something special for yourself or others, this recipe comes as a perfect saviour. It’s a type of fruity gin martini while the spicy twist comes from DIY ingredients. Peppermelon is definitely worth trying if you are a cocktail lover. You need various ingredients to prepare this recipe such as lemon juice, black pepper, dry-style gin, watermelon cube, watermelon juice, and honey syrup of black pepper.
- In a cocktail shaker, mix all the ingredients and fill with the ice cubes.
- Shake it for at least 10 seconds, then strain into a glass.
- On the one side of the glass, place cubes of watermelon along with the ground black pepper.
Batida Watermelon Cocktail
Batida Watermelon Cocktail is another perfect drink on the list of cocktails with watermelon for hot summer days. To prepare this recipe, you need several ingredients like chopped fresh watermelon, coconut water, evaporated milk, Novo Fogo silver cachaca, and agave syrup.
- First of all muddle fresh watermelon in the shaker base and add all the other ingredients such as syrup, cachaca, milk, and coconut water.
- Fill it with the ice and shake it well, then strain into the glass.
- Garnish it with the watermelon wedge on the glass rim.
Serve this Batida watermelon cocktail in the Collins glass to make it more appealing.
Summertime Fruit Punch Lemonade
How much would a vodka cocktail with pink lemonade sparkle appeal to you? Yes, the summertime fruit punch lemonade is refreshing to drink as well. This recipe includes fresh watermelon and pairing with the parsley. The best way to make it unique to your choice is by tasting it before judging. You will surely be amazed by the delicious flavour it gives that you might never imagine. The punch is a tasty blend of homemade fresh watermelon juice and raspberry lemonade. It is fully prepared with fresh fruits, so its taste is refreshing as well as bright, which is best for hot summer days. As it is fruity punch, you can spike it with tequila, vodka, or rum. To make this recipe, you need various ingredients such as parsley leaves, agave nectar, a splash of lemonade, vodka, lemon juice, and watermelon.
- Collect all the ingredients and muddle parsley and watermelon in the shaker.
- Add ice and other ingredients into it and shake.
- Double strain it into the Collins glass which is filled with ice and half-rimmed with the sugar.
- At the top, add sparkling pink lemonade, garnish with the seasonal fruits.
- You are now ready to serve this drink.
Watermelon Piña Colada
Pina Colada is a Spanish name where Pina stands for Pineapple and Colada for Strained. This fruity and sweet cocktail is prepared with coconut cream, pineapple juice, and rum. You can add watermelon ice cream to make it more interesting. Its recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare. You need several ingredients like watermelon cubes, pineapple juice, lime juice, coconut milk, ice, and white rum.
- Place baking paper in a baking tray and add some watermelon cubes on it.
- Put it into the freezer until it has frozen for at least two hours.
- Then, use small cutters to cut the pineapple and watermelon slices.
- In a food processor or blender, put pineapple juice, frozen watermelon, lime juice, sorbet, and rum and blend it well.
The drink’s prepared. Now, pour it into serving glasses and garnish with some fruit skewers.
Frozen Watermelon Coconut Mojito
Frozen Watermelon coconut mojito looks and tastes the same as it sounds. You can experience the coolness of refreshing mint in every sip, which is quite fascinating. It is a fresh and refreshing drink that combines coconut milk and fresh watermelon. To prepare this recipe, you need lime juice, chopped frozen watermelon, coconut milk, mint leaves, and coconut rum.
- In a food processor or blender, mix cream or coconut milk with lime juice, mint leaves, and rum. Blend it well.
- Add frozen watermelon into it and blend it until it becomes smooth but slushie.
- Adjust ingredients as per your taste.
- Pour it into the glass and garnish with the lime wedge, mint sprig, watermelon wedge, and shredded coconut and serve it.
And, here’s one more perfect recipe for hot summer days. Watermelon Sangria is prepared with lime, orange, and watermelon. And, it is tasty as well as a refreshing cocktail.
- Scoop out the slices of watermelon with ice cream scoop or a big spoon and transfer them into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then, add rum, lime juice, white wine, seltzer, and stir it.
- After this, add some fruits and limes.
- Refrigerate for almost 2 hours until chilled and serve it.
Eat a lot of Fruits
Indian summers can be fun but at the same time painful too. Being a tropical country, India experiences difficult summers. In most places, it is not only hot but humid too. It is very important to ensure that your body stays hydrated in the summer's day. And eating summer fruits is one of the easiest ways to do the same. Summer fruits provide an instant boost of energy and help reduce tiredness and fatigue, something many of us experience during the summer season. They will keep your system hydrated and cool you down.