Mocktails are the New Hot Favourites
Gone are the days when we used to welcome the invitees with Thandai Sarbat or cold drinks. Now, modern homemakers have found a better way to welcome their guest, and it’s certainly the vivid and vibrant mocktails. Mocktails like Shirley Temple and Virgin Mary have been the star attractions of menus of bars and restaurants for decades, but what about bringing these stars to your kitchen? This write-up will help you make some of the most exotic and delicious mocktails right at your kitchen with some expert tips. Create your collection of house-made drinks to surprise the guests as well as your family members.
3 Reasons to Include Mocktails in Your Party Menu
Before we share some of the most famous and easy-to-prepare mocktails around the world and you become busy with their recipes, let’s discover what makes mocktails so popular these days.
#1 Perfect for All
The best part of mocktail is surely is acceptability to all. There are a large number of people who don’t like to indulge in alcohol and avoid anything that even contains alcohol. On many occasions, people opt for alcohol-free phases like the pregnant women, designated drivers, patients on antibiotics and many more. When you have someone from such clans, it is best to offer them non-alcoholic alternatives while others are sipping the alcoholic versions. If you put this in a simple sentence, then it reads “Mocktails are for everyone”.
#2 Creates an Inclusive Environment
When you have thrown a house-warming party or a get-together for college friends, expect a mixed crowd. Some of your guests will be ardent followers of alcoholic drinks while many others will prefer to maintain a safe distance from alcoholic beverages. It is not right to force the teetotallers to join the other group just because you think they might be feeling left out. Mocktails can be your saviour. Even if there are teenagers among the invitees, you can serve them mocktails as teenagers are too old for fruit juice but too young for vodka or wine. So, mocktail preparations can help you to create a more inclusive ambience.
#3 Looks Great & Tastes Treat Too
If you ask people what attracts them to order that glass of mocktail, the answer will inevitably include two words – the look and the taste. Mocktails are simply the blend of several types of syrups, beverages and fruit juices. So, there is no wonder why they come in such vibrant hues. A single glance to a glass of mocktail is enough to evoke a craving for them. Adding to their beauty, they taste great too. Mocktails can be customised very easily which means you can create your concoction just by manipulating the number of ingredients. It is not that easy to create your favourite drink with an alcoholic beverage, but it’s really simple with mocktails.
10 Famous Mocktail Recipes Worth Their Salt
Finally, the time has come to share the recipes of 10 famous mocktails across the globe with you. Each of these recipes can be tried at home and it doesn’t involve even hefty kitchen equipment to prepare them. Take a look and be ready to surprise your friends and family with amazing mocktails.
#1 Shirley Temple
At nearly any bar or restaurant in your locality, you will be able to place an order for Shirley Temple. This mocktail is a hot favourite ranging from kids to adults. This semi-sweetened beauty in light pink is made majorly of soda. Shirley Temple is a wonderful makeover for your old-fashioned soda.
- 90 ml of Lemon-lime soda
- 90 ml ginger ale
- 6-8 ml grenadine
- Cherry for garnishing
- Pour grenadine into a long glass with some ice cubes.
- Now, add equal amounts of lemon-lime soda and ginger ale to top it.
- Stir the whole thing with the help of a spoon or stirrer.
- Prick two cherries with a toothpick and place them on top of the glass.
- It’s done and enjoy your lemon-lime soda with a twist.
#2 Lime Rickey
What can be better than sipping from cool and refreshing Lime Rickey during the summer days! Beat the heat with the refreshing, but not so sweet taste of this traditional mocktail. This concoction is a stimulating blend of lime juice, seltzer and simple syrup. To enhance the taste, try to use freshly squeezed lime juice for Lime Rickey.
- 250 ml of lime juice, which will come from 6-7 medium-sized limes.
- 350 ml of seltzer water
- 120 ml of simple syrup
- Lime wedges for garnishing
- Take a pitcher or a measuring cup paired with a spout. Pour the simple syrup and lime juice together and mix them well.
- Take glasses of your choice and fill them with ice cubes.
- Pour approximately 80-90 ml of the lime juice mixture into each glass.
- Add about 90 ml of seltzer water into each glass or fill them up as per your choice.
- Stir the content of the glass with a long spoon.
- Garnish the glasses with slices of lime wedges.
#3 Safe Sex on The Beach
Another famous mocktail that will grab your attention instantly with its name and fame is Sex On The Beach. This non-alcoholic drink is a scintillating mixture of orange, peach and cranberry which is a perfect way to freshen up on a sunny day on the beach.
- ¼ cup of cranberry juice
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- 30 ml of peach nectar
- 1 pineapple wedge
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
- Take a glass and mix equal parts of orange and cranberry juice.
- Now, add peach nectar.
- Take another glass and take some ice cubes.
- Pour the whole mixture over the ice and sink the grenadine.
- Finish the preparation by garnishing with orange or pineapple wedge before serving it.
#4 Virgin Margarita
Everyone loves Margarita for its refreshing taste and soothing look. There are very few cocktails as refreshing as Margarita. If you are a teetotaller, then you can try the non-alcoholic version, the Virgin Margarita mocktail.
- 3 oz orange juice
- 1 oz of lemon juice
- 1 oz of lime juice
- 6 oz of frozen limeade
- 4 cups of crushed ice
- 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar
- Lemon slice for garnishing
- Take a pitcher and mix all ingredients except the ice.
- Stir the minute for one minute and then pour the ice. Stir for another minute.
- Rim the glass with sugar or salt and then pour the drink.
- Place a lime slice on top of the mocktail and enjoy.
#5 Virgin Mary
One of the most celebrated mocktails around the globe is the Virgin Mary. This concoction can be sipped any time of the day to give your body a good number of vitamins and spices just like the Bloody Mary except the vodka. There are plenty of ways to build your recipe with the Virgin Mary.
- 15-20 ml of lemon juice
- 90 ml of tomato juice
- Ground pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 dashes of Tabasco or hot sauce
- Celery Stalk for garnishing
- Gather all ingredients within your reach.
- Take a highball glass and fill it with ice cubes.
- Now build the liquid ingredients into the glass.
- Mix all the ingredients with the help of a long spoon.
- Add seasoning to your taste.
- Place the celery stalk on side of the glass and your drink is ready.
#6 Sweet Sunrise
Just like its name, Sweet Sunrise is an extraordinary mocktail to start your day with a sumptuous breakfast or Sunday brunch. If you like the tangy-sweet taste, then you are going to love Sweet Sunrise. The recipe is simple but superb.
- ½ ounce of grenadine
- 4 ounces of orange juice
- Orange slices for garnishing
- Take a highball glass and fill it with ice cubes
- Now, pour the orange juice over the ice cubes.
- Then pour grenadine slowly over the whole build-up. Grenadine will go to the bottom and then slowly will rise to the top as soon as you start to take sips from the glass.
- Tuck an orange slice to rim of the glass and savour this delicacy.
Who doesn’t love the beautiful Disney Princess, Cinderella? Just like the princess, its namesake is equally charming with a dash of innocence. This non-alcoholic beverage doesn’t evoke any sense of guilt. So, you can try it anytime you want.
- One part of pineapple juice
- One part of orange juice
- One part of lemon juice
- 2 ounces of ginger ale
- Dash of Grenadine
- Pineapple or orange slice for garnishing
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Put the juices and grenadine into a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice.
- Shake well to mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into an ice-filled collins glass.
- Top the mocktail with ginger ale.
- Place a slice of pineapple or orange.
#8 Preggie Provence
Made of fresh rosemary, grapes, lavender soda and lemonade, Preggie Provence is a wonderful choice for any summer or spring party. This drink is particularly known for its uplifting floral flavour.
- 5-6 rosemary leaves
- 3-4 halved white grapes
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lavender flower petals
- 15 ml simple syrup
- 30 ml lemonade
- 90 ml lavender soda or DRY brand soda
- Slice of the lemon wheel for garnishing
- Mix the grapes, rosemary leaves, simple syrup, lemon peel and lavender flower petals at the bottom of a mixing glass.
- Now, add lemonade and shake well with ice.
- Strain the mixture into a serving glass.
- Top it with lavender soda and garnish with a lemon slice.
#9 Shirley Ginger
Just like its twin version Shirley Temple, Shirley Ginger is another refreshing mocktail to lift your mood instantly. This light pink concoction is mainly crafted of ginger beer and club soda. Ingredients are few and it takes to prepare this amazing mocktail.
- 1 cup club soda
- 4 cups Brooklyn Crafted Lemon Lime Ginger Beer
- ¼ cup grenadine
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- Place club soda, ginger beer, lime juice and grenadine in a pitcher. Stir it.
- Fill a tall glass with crushed ice or ice cubes.
- Pour the mixture into the glass and garnish it with lime wheels or cherries.
#10 Arnold Palmer
Undeniably one of the best non-alcoholic beverages in the world is Arnold Palmer. This hassle-free mocktail can be made easily with simple ingredients like iced tea and lemonade. This refreshing drink got its name from the famous golfer and it tickles our taste buds with its refreshing taste.
- 1 part lemonade
- 2 parts iced tea
- Lemon slice for garnishing
- Take a tall glass and fill it with ice cubes.
- Now pour the lemonade and iced tea into the glass.
- Stir for one minute.
- Garnish the mocktail with a lemon slice and your drink is ready.
3 Things to Make Mocktails More Interesting
It is not just enough to make those colourful and refreshing mocktails. It is equally important to garnish them with love and serve them with care. Here are few tips to spice up the recipe.
#1 Choose the Right Glassware
Don’t serve mocktails in plain glasses. Take out the beautiful glassware you have. Choose slender, tall or martini glass to serve the drink. Depending on the occasion, you can choose different types of glasses for different mocktails. A marvellous presentation is important to serve these beautiful recipes.
#2 Garnish and Decorate
After you have prepared the concoction, don’t just serve them without any garnishing. You can add slices of fruits or add colourful straws to make every glass special. Cherry, pineapple, lemon wheel, mint leaves are few of the most common garnishing ingredients.
#3 Shaken or Stirred?
While following the mocktail recipes, pay attention to the words – ‘shake’ and ‘stir’. Don’t mix them up. Every recipe tastes its best when you follow the actual procedure. Some recipes need rigorous shaking while others are just fine with a little stirring. This enhances the taste of each mocktail recipe.
Stirling the perfect mocktail is the simplest way to impress someone, but only if you manage to get it right. If you can shake, swirl and strain and love to experiment, immerse yourself in the mixology world. "To make a mocktail party at home is the best thing you can do. You don’t have to be a pro to get it perfect - just follow the measurements and you’re all set,” says Shatbhi Basu, India’s first lady bartender.