Why You Should Give Homemade Gifts to Your Brother
You Have the Liberty of Crafting the Gift Any Way You Want:
Often times when you are looking for the perfect gift for someone, there is always something missing. But when it comes to handmade gifts, you do not have to compromise with the way you want it to be. Instead, you can craft it exactly according to your choice. From the material that you wish to pick, to the way you want it to look, you have the freedom to give a gift to your brother that has everything that you desire. Moreover, the handmade gifts are deeply appreciated by the recipient as they are crafted with so much love and effort.
Handmade Gifts Reflect Your Personality:
While you can easily buy a gift online that you can browse and select, there will be no personal element in it. However, handmade gifts reflect the personality of the person who gifts. The project you pick will be based on things you are drawn to or are skilled at making, hence there's a little bit of you in it. Since you make the gift with your unique ideas and personal preferences, it has the essence of you in it. Even the receiver will feel the effort that you have put in. Moreover, handmade gifts are very unique and stand apart from the regular gifts. They are more likely to stay in the memory of the person receiving it.
Handmade Gifts are Unique and Hold Sentimental Value:
A handmade gift symbolizes how much you love the person that you are gifting it to. Since it takes a lot of time and effort to make a gift all by yourself, it reflects the dedication with which you have made the gift. The fact that you have made a gift with your own creativity will make your brother feel special. Handmade gifts are sentimental in nature as you craft it with all your emotions for your dear brother. They are also very unique and are more likely to be remembered by your brother as compared to any other purchased goods.
10 Handmade Gifts You Can Make for Your Brother
Mosaic Picture Frame
You can make a beautiful mosaic picture frame for your brother and do the environment a good turn in the process! This mosaic frame is make from Styrofoam which means that something which would wind up in the bin is being turned to something long lasting and pretty.
- Styrofoam plates
- Cereal box
- Tacky glue
- Craft paint
- A paintbrush
How to make it:
- Wash and dry the Styrofoam plates and then paint them with your favorite color. It does not have to be neat. You just have to paint it.
- Create a plate by cutting a square shape out of a cardboard. Cut out a rectangle that is slightly larger in size than your photo. Paint the frame.
- Cut out the mosaic tiles. You can organize them according to color if you wish to make a certain pattern or design.
- Use glue to place these mosaic tiles on the frame. You can experiment with the various ways that work the best for making it look awesome.
- After you are done making the frame, you can tape your photo to the back of the frame to complete it. Cut out a rectangle that has the same shape as that of your frame from a cereal box. Bend a rectangular piece of a box into a triangle to form a simple stand. Then tape it to your frame.
It's a pity fewer people use handkerchiefs now. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that plain white squares of cloth are just not that appealing anymore. If your brother had kerchiefs as cute as these hand stamped ones we found at papernstitchblog.com he'd use them more often. You can make this handstamped handkerchief for your brother as a special gift. Follow the steps below or hop across to the blog to see step-by-step pictures.
Hand Stamped KerchiefsThe supplies you need for this project are:
- Sticky back foam for the stamp
- A wood block or bottle cap to put your stamp on
- A plastic tray or lid
- A scrap piece of felt
- Fabric paint, and
- Plain handkerchiefs
How to make it:
- Make your foam stamp by drawing the design and cutting it with scissors or knife. You can trace the drawing on the foam to get the outline perfectly.
- Peel off the paper backing and stick your stamp on your stamping device.
- To make a stamping pad, put a good size of paint on a plastic tray. You can then keep a piece of felt on the top of the ink.
- Stamp at the felt until the paint oozes out.
- Next, you can stamp the image on the handkerchief with the help of the stamping device.
- You can wait for a couple of hours to for it to dry and then iron it well before you wash it.
- Thus, with these easy step, your handmade handkerchief is ready! You can gift this to your brother and he will cherish it forever.
Mason Jar Super Hero Bank
Have a little brother who has recently started getting pocket money? Or does he hoard his savings in a jar somewhere? Teach him the value of being thrifty and give him a cool gift he will be proud to display in his room, all at one go. A mason jar superhero bank such as these from firefliesandmudpies.com will be a lovely gift for your brother. All you need are some basic things you'd have lying around the home.
Mason Jar Money BankWhat you need:
- Regular mouth quart jars
- Mason jar coin slot lids
- A cutting mat
- Yellow and red duct tape
- Blue and black spray paint
How to make it:
- Choose a ventilated area to spray paint the jars as well as the caps. Let the materials dry completely before you proceed with the further design.
- Next, use a pen to sketch a superman and batman emblem on top of a duct tape. In case you are not good at drawing them, you can simply get them off the internet and cut them out to trace the image.
- Cut out the shapes with a small cutter or knife.
- Once the jar is dry you can put the pieces together and place an emblem on the jar. It will be preferred if you place the emblem towards the top.
- You can give this awesome handmade gift to your brother on any special occasion.
Necktie Photo Bookmark
Photo BookmarkThe supplies you need to make this craft are:
- Grosgrain ribbon
- Photographs, and
- Tissue paper
How to make it:
- Take a 2-inch-wide ribbon and cut a piece of it such that it is 3 inches longer than twice the height of the book. To avoid fraying and to give it a clean look, you can snip a point at every end.
- Hand stitch each corner and sew a 1 1/2-inch-by-2-inch photograph to the ribbon.
- You can gift the bookmark along with a new novel to your brother. To wrap the book, you can use a colored tissue paper and then tuck the bookmark between the two pages. You can finish the book by a simple string or ribbon.
Superhero Brother Sign
The superhero brother sign is an amazing gift that you can give to your brother. It works well for a younger or an elder brother and can be a very touching gift. Give it another message if you wish but we liked this one by emmymom2.com.
Superhero Brother SignThe supplies required for it would be:
- A board
- Picture frame
- Paint brushes
- Tracing paper
- A printer or computer
How to make it:
- Place your board at one place and paint it white.
- Paint the board white so that it has a base for your painting and your quotes
- Type your quote and then print it on a paper. Then trace this paper on your board and mark the alphabets so that you know where you have to paint.
- Use a little brush to paint the words with black color using a small brush to ensure finesse.
- Take the photo frame and the picture of you and your brother or any other picture that you wish to put on it.
- Paste this photo frame on the board using glue and let it dry normally
- Your gift is thus ready and you can give it to your brother as a special gesture.
This is indeed a very inexpensive and doable project for anyone. Make a whole set and give to each member of the family so no one feels left out, or make two, one for you and one for him.
The supplies required for this project are:
- Plain white mugs
- Black fine point pen
- Graphite transfer paper
- A print out with the initials of your brother
How to make it:
- Use a transfer paper to leave a mark on the cup of the initials.
- Take your marker pen and start drawing the initials on the cup.
- Once you are done writing down the initials on the mug, you can let the mug stay for a while.
- Bake the mug at 300 degrees for half an hour.
- Thus, your monogram mugs are ready. You can have two different mugs for the initials or just one, the choice is yours.
These are for the travel nut or the frequent flier brother. The handmade map coasters make for an amazing gift for your brother.
Map CoastersAll you need is:
- A map
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Round cork coasters
- Glue sealant
- A foam paintbrush
How to make it:
- start by placing the map on a cutting mat while keeping the printed side down. Then keep the cork coaster on the top of it for tracing. Cut the circles out after tracing.
- Use a brush to apply a glue sealant to the coaster and smoothen any bubbles made in the process.
- Repeat the same to make a set of coasters. You can gift this bunch of coasters to your brother on any occasion. He can use them for keeping the glasses or mugs.
Gift Card Holders
While not really a gift by themselves, these card holders add the perfect finishing touch to a handmade present. They also work well when you want to add a personal touch to a store bought present and you can make a whole bunch of them to keep ready at hand for the next time you're giving a gift.
The materials required for this craft are:
- Precut tags with grommets
- Wide fabric ribbon
- Sewing kit
How to make it:
- To make the pockets purchase a few precut tags with grommets from a stationery shop.
- Cut a three and a half inch length of wide ribbon. Fold each of the cut ends by a ¼ inch.
- Form a pocket by sewing the bottom and side edges of the tag. Then tuck the gift inside.
- For making the pouches you can fold a 14-inch-long piece of a 3-inch-wide fabric ribbon in half. Iron along the fold to keep it in place and then pin it.
- Then sew up the long sides and trim the edges of the open end with scissors. Slip the gift inside and knot a ribbon around it to secure it.
Couch Remote Holder
This is a very useful gift for someone who hates having to waste time looking for the different remotes for the tv, set top box, air conditioner and the dozen other gadgets. To make this couch remote holder, you will require a quilting wadding and the fabric of your choice. You can sew it by hand or using a sewing machine.
Choose the length of the cover and take the measurements to sew your couch remote holder. Fold the fabric around the quilt and sew the edge onto the quilting. Select the fabric that you want to be shown apart from the slots for the remote. Take a measurement of the remotes at your place and then sew a pocket which is slightly less in size than that of the remote.
You can make the markings and sew it all together using a sewing machine. Gift this to your brother and he will be really grateful to you. For detailed steps with images visit stylishliving.org.
Does your brother love the smell of freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning? A coffee soap with jojoba oil is an amazing gift that you can give to your brother to awaken his senses each time he has a bath.
Coffee SoapWhat you need:
- 21 oz. olive oil
- 6 oz jojoba oil
- 3 oz castor oil
- 12 oz coconut oil
- 9 oz palm kernel oil
- 19 oz double strength coffee at room temperature
- 8 oz lye
- 3 tbsp used coffee grounds
How to make it:
- To make the double strength coffee you can pour 2/3 cup course coffee grounds into the 8-cup press.
- Then pour 4 cups of simmering water on the coffee grounds.
- Allow it to sit for 4 minutes and then pour it into the pitcher so that it can cool down. Mix in the lye and the oils.
- Pour into soap molds and allow it to cool and harden
- Leave it for curing and the soap will give a scent of light coffee once done. Leave them for 4 to 6 weeks before gifting them.
- This is indeed a lovely gift for your brother and he will absolutely love it.
Upcycled Plastic-Bottle Charging Station
If your brother loves, nifty gadgets and knick-knacks, then this idea is sure to be a hit with him. This is a phone charge hanger that is a great way to keep you phone tucked away while it is charging. It is space saving and since it re-uses a plastic bottle, very environmental friendly. You can make it as quirky and personalised as you want while decorating it. Take a look at this super cool DIY gift for your brother.
Phone Charging Hanger:
What you need
- A 1-litre plastic bottle, or larger
- A piece of string
- Permanent marker
- Sharp scissors
- Spray paint
How to make it:
- Carefully remove any label on the bottle. Scrub or clean to ensure you have a smooth exterior
- Now mark the bottom third of the bottle and tie a string. Measure out the length properly by placing your brother's phone or something similar to make you have the right height.
- Next draw a cut line using the permanent marker. Leave around three inches at the back portion of the bottle
- You now need to make the hanger at the back. For this, use a scale to mark out the hanger at the back of the bottle. It would be best to have it with a width of around 4 or 5 inches.
- Use the scissors to cut out the shape.
- Take the bottle to any typical electrical outlet and center the hanger portion. Trace around it to get the right width and height. Next, cut away the shape.
- Since the edges may be sharp and uneven, use a piece of sandpaper to smooth it out.
- Next we will paint to make it look good. Use a spray paint to give a proper coating and dry it well.
- The phone charger is done! Your brother can simply place it over the socket, plug in his phone, wind the cord at the base of the bottle, without worrying about finding space to keep it while it charges.
Homemade Microwavable Heating Pad
Every one of us finds ourselves struggling with aches and pains now and then. Whether it a muscle strain from overexertion or a cramp, having a heating pad is handy. It is a great way to soothe the tense muscles and give relief for at least some time. This gift is particularly a great idea if your brother loves exercising or is a fitness enthusiast.
This heating pad is environment friendly and very convenient. Using it is simple: just heat up the pad for 2-3 minutes at high heat and then take it out. Check so that it is evenly warm and then use!
DIY Heating PadWhat you need
- Cotton or flannel fabric - 1/2 mt
- Sweing machine & thread
- 6 cups of rice
- A funnel
How to make
- Cut the fabric into a 12x20 inch piece. Fold it into a long rectangle keep the right sides together.
- This should give you a 6x20 inch rectangle
- Use the sewing machine now to sew three sides of the folded rectangle. At one end, leave it open for around 2 inches. This opening is essential for you to put in the rice.
- Push through the fabric through the hole and turn it entirely right side out
- Now add in the rice using a funnel (you can also make a funnel using paper)
- The rice should half-fill the pocket you have
- Next you will fold the cloth at the opening and sew it up tight. You can either use the sewing machine or do it by hand.
- Your DIY heating pad is ready!
Bonus Tips for Making Your Brother Feel Special
Take a Pottery Class with Your Brother
The joy of sharing an experience with your brother is incredible. You can grow your bond even stronger by engaging in fun activities together. For instance, you can take a pottery class together. Look for the classes available around you and sign up for both of you. Learning pottery is not only fun but is also therapeutic. Not to mention the joy of making something yourself and you can take the final product home. It will always serve as a memento of the wonderful bond that you share with your brother. He will be delighted to join you for this fun activity.
Make an Awesome Painting or Greeting Card Together
Remember your childhood days when you both used to play together? When was the last time you did something fun together? In the hectic life of today, staying in touch with each other can be tough. However, you can relive the wonderful childhood memories together by making an awesome painting together. It does not have to be a perfect picture but you can do it just for the thrill that it will bring. You can also make a fun greeting card together and it is sure to take you back to your childhood for a brief amount of time.
Make a Kickass DIY Bracelet for Him
You can also make a DIY bracelet for your brother. It will be an awesome gift for him and he will appreciate all the work that you have done in creating a bracelet for him. You can make a bracelet out of beads that have beads of various shapes and sizes. You can also go for leather bracelets. You can also make a braided bracelet for him and weave them with a gorgeous thread. Ensure that you keep his personal style in mind while making the bracelet for him. He is going to completely adore this wonderful gift that you have made and he will be awestruck after seeing all the effort.
Strengthen the bond you share
The love siblings share is one-of-a-kind that lasts a lifetime. The only problem is that as we get caught in our busy lives we forget to let them know just how important they are. Thoughtful gestures even if very simple done regularly are a great way to remind your brother or sister just how much you cherish them.