What Is the Benefit of Using Milkmaid in Cake Recipes?
Great Option for Vegans
Milkmaid has proved to be a great substitute for eggs in cakes. Some people also use it in addition to eggs in their cake recipes. Milkmaid is a famous condensed milk product from the brand – Nestle. Since the demand for eggless cakes in India has increased, the demand for milkmaid has seen an exponential rise too. This sweet and thick flavored milk is nothing but cow’s milk from which water has been removed. It is a great substitute for eggs and gives similar tasting and delicious cakes as those made using eggs. Those who do not consume eggs can easily replace eggs with milkmaid in their cake recipes. Milkmaid has made it possible for everyone to try their hand at cake baking even if they do not eat eggs.
Milkmaid is easily available in supermarkets across India. This product is available in different sizes of cans and squeezes tubes. It is widely used for making a lot of Indian desserts too. Some people like to eat milkmaid due to its sweet and thick milky flavour. It is also drizzled on top of cakes and other Indian desserts.
Imparts the Same Texture as Eggs
In baked items, milkmaid lends moisture, tenderness and flavour to the recipe as well as a lovely golden brown colour to the crust. In any cake, tenderness and spongy texture are the prime requirement and eggs are widely used because they provide a light airy texture. Condensed does the same and hence it can be easily used as a substitute. Many people make cakes using both condensed milk and eggs because it makes the cake very light and spongy along with the added creamy texture of condensed milk.
Reduces the Need for Added Sugar
Because milkmaid is sweet, it reduces the need for added sugar. If you are looking for a light and mildly sweet tea cake, then adding only condensed milk with flour and butter can give the perfect taste. There is no need to added extra sugar in many cake recipes using condensed milk. It is also frequently drizzled on top of cakes instead of icing to make your desserts look good and to add the extra bit of sugary and sweet delight on top. There are unsweetened varieties of condensed milk available too but milkmaid had added sugar. Those who use unsweetened condensed milk in their cake recipes can use sugar, jaggery, honey or brown sugar to get the sweetness.
Milkmaid has a very good shelf life. It can be stored at room temperature without opening for years together. Once opened, the can be stored in the fridge for about a month. It can stay for a little longer when stored in the freezer, but it is best recommended to use an opened milkmaid can within 3 to 4 weeks.
Important Facts on Milkmaid
Milkmaid contains 40 to 50 percent sugar. It is thick and rich with a delicious caramel colour and a super-sweet flavour. Baking cakes is an art and the chances of your first cake not coming out right are quite high. While adding milkmaid to cakes is not complex at all, and all you need to do is to mix the flour, butter and milkmaid together along with other ingredients, you should be careful about the mixing. Some recipes require folding the cake batter while some require beating the batter at high speed. Also, remember to use the exact amount of ingredients while making your cake as the smallest variation can lead to an imperfect cake.
|Average Composition||Per 100 G|
|Total sugars||58.3 g|
|Total Fat||4.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Fibre, Total Dietary||0.0 g|
Delicious Recipes of Cakes Using Milkmaid (Eggless)
Here we have listed some easy breezy eggless recipes of cakes with Milkmaid. These recipes are widely followed by Indians who do not consume eggs. The most popular and highly rated Milkmaid cake recipes are mentioned below:
#Idea 1 - Apple and Nuts Delight Recipe
This light and fruity apple cake loaded with nuts are made using Milkmaid. It is a perfect tea time snack and also very nutritious and healthy for children.
- 3-Peeled and Cubed Apple
- 3/4 cup-Milk
- 50g-Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup (40g)-Maida
- 1.5 tsp-Baking Powder
- 0.5 tsp-Dalchini (Cinnamon) Powder
- 1/3 cup-Chopped Walnut
- 1/3 cup-Chopped Badam
- 2 tbsp-Powdered Sugar (for topping)
- 2 tbsp-Chilled Butter (for topping)
- 2 tbsp-Maida (Flour) (for topping)
- 1/2 tin (200g)-Nestle Milkmaid
- Mix together maida, melted butter, baking powder, cinnamon powder, milkmaid and milk in a bowl. Add the nuts and apple until coated with the batter.
- Spread the batter evenly into a greased baking dish. Mix the ingredients for the topping till crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping mix over apple mixture in the dish and bake for 30-35 minutes at 1800 C or till top is golden brown. Serve hot or cold.
#Idea 2 - Black Forest Cake
Black Forest cake is a universal favourite. Now make this eggless variety and enjoy the creamy goodness with friends and family.
- 2 tsp-Icing Sugar / Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp-Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp-Soda Bicarbonate
- 1 tsp-Baking Powder
- 3-4 heaped tbsp (25g)-Cocoa Powder
- 175g (1¾ cup)-Maida
- 50g-Milk Chocolate
- 1 tin (400g) Milkmaid
- 200g-Fresh cream
- 1 small tin-Tinned Cherries
- 200ml-Aerated Soda
- Grease an 8” diameter baking tin and dust it with flour.
- Preheat the oven to 1800 C. Sieve together maida, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda bicarbonate. Soften butter, add Milkmaid and beat well.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Add maida mixture and aerated soda alternately to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool for a while.
- Drain & destone cherries and then soak both cake halves with cherry syrup.
- Whip cream and sugar till light and fluffy, Sandwich the two layers of cake with whipped cream and chopped cherries.
- Top with whipped cream and cherries, sprinkle generously with grated chocolate. Chill and serve.
#Idea 3 - Vanilla Cakes
Do not miss out on the pleasures of pastries and cakes thinking that they are made with eggs. This eggless vanilla cake is sweet, sugary, eggless and simply divine.
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp soda bicarb
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- melted butter for greasing
- Plain flour for dusting the cake tin
- Sieve the baking powder, plain flour and soda bi-carb together.
- Grease a 7” cake tin with melted butter and dust it with flour.
- Mix melted butter, vanilla essence and condensed milk in a bowl and mix using spatula.
- Next add the flour mixture and 5 tbsp of water and fold in using a spatula. Keep the batter in dropping consistency.
- Pour the batter in the greased tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius for 25 minutes.
- Once done, invert on cooling rack to cool.
#Idea 4 - Chocolate Cake
An eggless chocolate cake is everyone’s favorite. Most kids and adults are chocolate fans and this eggless version can be enjoyed by all.
Ingredients for cake
- 1 ½ cup All purpose flour (maida)
- 3 tablespoons Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup Milkmaid
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
- 1 ½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Water
Ingredients for chocolate ganache frosting
- 6 oz or 170 grams Semi sweet chocolate roughly chopped
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons Unsalted butter
Instructions for making the eggless cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and dust a 9 inch cake pan.
- Take dry ingredients (all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda) in a bowl and mix well.
- Next add water to melted butter and whisk it well. Then add sweetened condensed milk. Again beat it till everything is incorporated well.
- Then add vanilla extract and mix.
- Now sift the half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Sift the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake into preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean that means cake it ready.
Instructions for making frosting
- Roughly chop the chocolate into small pieces and take into a bowl.
- Take heavy cream and butter in a pan and bring them to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream mixture into the chocolate bowl and once the chocolate is melted, whisk well and let cool.
Instructions for frosting the cake
- Now put the cake with rack on the baking tray and pour the ganache on the cake.
- Using butter knife, spread it evenly and let the ganache frosting set for a few hours.
Cake Recipe Using Milkmaid and Eggs Both
There are some recipes which include both eggs and milkmaid. These have a very distinct flavor and are also very light and airy. The most browsed recipes are mentioned below:
If you eat eggs but yet love the sweet flavor of milkmaid, then do try this easy pound cake recipe which uses both.
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour or maida
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I used a little over 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- Sieve the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Beat butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy. Then add the condensed milk and repeat for the same time, until well combined.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl for 2 mins with a fork and set aside.
- Add the flour to the butter-sugar-condensed milk mixture and mix.
- Add the eggs, vanilla essence and salt and combine well.
- Transfer to a greased cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-35 mins.
- Insert a toothpick at the center to test if the cake is done. Cool, slice and serve.
Don't Ruin Your Cake When You Remove It from the Pan.
You're so close to victory! Don't ruin your cake when you remove it from the pan. Detach from the sides of the pan using a knife or spatula, then cover the pan with a rack, hold the rack and pan together, and flip the everything over. Remove the pan and peel off the parchment liner. To turn the cake right side up again, place another cooling rack on the cake, hold the two racks together gently, without squeezing the cake, and repeat the flip. Learn to use all your senses. Do not follow timings and baking temperature blindly. Keep checking the cake.