Importance of Sanitising Your Mobile Phone: What Happens When You Don't Sanitise It!
In the times of this pandemic, maintaining personal and public hygiene has become extremely important. It has become crucial for you to disinfect or sanitise your hands properly and regularly. But, viruses and infection-causing bacteria are all over the surface, so it is equally essential for you to sanitise and disinfect your phone on a regular basis to prevent the spread of virus.
Scientists have tested that the virus can live for 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel surfaces. Your mobile phone is in your hands throughout the day, and if you hold your phone after being exposed to people coughing or sneezing or touching a surface that may contain the virus, then your phone acts as a carrier of the virus. If you use your phone without sanitising it, you might get infected, which is why you must sanitise high touch surfaces, including your mobile phone.
How to Sanitise a Mobile Phone Using Disinfectants & Other Products such as Alcohol
Your mobile phone is exposed to several bacteria, viruses and dust. A phone may fall on the ground or come in contact with droplets from sneezes and coughs or catch germs from other people's hands. Now, it is evident that sanitising your phone is vital to prevent the spread of the virus. But, cleaning your phone the wrong way might even damage it. Phones are impossible to wash with soap and water and require special attention. If they are not cleaned properly, they lose their durability and become carriers of germ transmission upon use. While common disinfecting ways can damage them, the right way to sanitise your phone is explained in the following steps:
- Step 1: Turn off your phone and unplug all the cables. Your phone shouldn't be kept on a charging cradle while cleaning.
- Step 2: If the phone is dirty or greasy, wipe it with a dry cloth to remove the dirt.
- Step 3: Use antiviral wipe or wipes with 60-70% alcohol or a few drops of a sanitiser (any quality sanitiser) on the screen and the back of your phone.
- Step 4: You can also use a soap solution and a soft clean cloth to disinfect the surface of your phone, make sure that you don't get the moisture into the phone. Don't spray it directly on the phone; rather, moisten your towel or a cloth with the solution and wipe it gently on the screen.
- Step 5: Let your phone dry for about 10 minutes before you put it back in the case.
- Step 6: Along with the phone, do sanitise your phone case as well, in the same manner as described in the above steps.
Things to Avoid While Cleaning or Sanitising Your Phone
There are some products which are harmful and, thus, should not be used for electronics. Before you start sanitising your phone, take care of the following in order to protect your phone from any kind of damage:
- Don't use general purpose household cleaners, especially products that might contain bleach or abrasives.
- Avoid using beauty products like makeup remover or nail polish remover.
- Also, wipes that don't contain 70% alcohol shouldn't be used.
- Products like wound cleaners, soap, vinegar, etc. must be avoided.
- Don't clean your phone while it is being charged.
- It is also unsafe to dip a phone in water or to use spray over the screen.
- Keep liquids and moisture away from the openings on your device.
Tips to Minimise Your Mobile's Exposure to Germs
Most of you carry your phones everywhere and spend most of your time using the phone. Disinfecting the phone can prevent the spread of severe contagious diseases. Some general tips you can consider are as follows:
- Avoid using your phone in public. Keep it in your pocket or purse when you're outside.
- Touch your phone only after you've sanitised your hands properly.
- Sanitise your phone immediately after another person borrows it.
- Avoid sneezing or coughing while holding the phone.
Products for Sanitising Your Mobile Phone
Out of all the products available for sanitising, not all products are suitable for electronic items. So, it is imperative to choose the right product in order to protect your mobile phone from any kind of damage. Some of the best products are mentioned below:
Sterilisation Antibacterial Cleaning Disinfectant Wipes
The best possible replacement of hand sanitisers is disinfectant wipes. These antibacterial, cleaning, disinfectant wipes come in a pack of 25 wipes. The product Is disposable and contains 75% alcohol. The best thing about these wipes is that these are small in size, which makes them easy to carry. These can be used for cleaning glass surfaces, screens, lenses without causing any damage to the device. You can buy these antibacterial, cleaning, disinfectant wipes for ₹ 250.00 from Style Zone.
How To Use:
- Carry a few wipes with you anywhere you go and just wipe your mobile screen using these disinfectant wipes.
Eyetech Portable Mini Sanitiser Spray Machine for Currency, Car, Home, Office, Bank, Mobile Care & Personal Care
Eyetech Portable Mini Sanitiser is a small spray machine that is lightweight and easy to carry around. This nano sanitiser sprayer can be used for sanitising mobile phones, key chains, laptops, hands, wallets, currency, masks, cars and other accessories. It comes with a big tank which can store a large amount of sanitiser for daily use. The product has a capacity of 30 ml and can be used for about 20 minutes continuously. It can also be used as a portable charger for your mobile phone. The sprayer can also work as a cooling method to prevent your skin from dryness and sunburn. The package comes with 1 mini sanitiser sprayer, 1 USB cable and 1 manual. You can buy this nano sanitiser spray by Eyetech at Amazon for ₹ 498.00.
How to Use:
- Open the tank and fill it with a liquid sanitiser.
- Double press the button and start using the sprayer for sanitising your necessary belongings.
Cleaning Kit for Mobile, Computer, Laptop, DSLR Camera, TV
This cleaning kit is an all-in-one product, which can be used to disinfect all your electronic gadgets including mobile phones, laptops, DSLRs and other devices. It comes in a 100 ml bottle in various options. You can buy this cleaning kit for ₹ 139.00 only at Shop Clues. However, please note that this is only meant to remove dirt and dust from your devices, and you'll further have to disinfect your gadgets with an alcohol-based sanitiser and liquid.
How to Use:
- Remove the dirt from your mobile screen using a clean cloth.
- Use a clean, soft cloth or towel and put some amount of the liquid on the cloth.
- Wipe the screen and case of your mobile gently.
Protokart 3-in-1 Screen Cleaning Set for PC, Laptops, Monitors, Mobiles, LCD/LED TV
This cleaning liquid is specially made for all kinds of electronic devices including portable devices, PC accessories and displays. The kit comes with a soft and reusable high-quality cloth, brush wipes and screen cleaner. This cleaning kit by Protocart can be used for TVs, computer monitors, tablets, LED/LCD screens, and smartphones. You can buy this screen cleaning set for ₹ 169.00 on Amazon.
How to Use:
- Spray a small amount of the cleaner on the microfiber cloth.
- Work the cloth on the screen in a circular motion to remove the dirt, dust, fingerprints and germs off your screen.
- You can use the provided brush in order to clean your keyboard or laptop properly.
Boxania UV Steriliser Box
This UV steriliser box sterilises for virus protection and is made using advanced technology, which kills 99.9% bacteria and viruses using ultraviolet light. This device is one of the best ways to ensure that you kill disease-causing bacteria most effectively. It can be used for sterilising and disinfecting mobile phones, jewellery, masks, socks, watches, toys, and other small things. This aroma-therapeutic steriliser is available for ₹ 1,099.00 on Flipkart. If you are looking for a more advanced option can go with Boxania UV Box with 10W Qi Fast Wireless Charger and Diffuser UV Sterilisation Box, which also comes with wireless charging for high-end mobile phones. It's priced at ₹ 2,799.00 on Flipkart.
How to Use:
- Just put in your small items in the box, turn it on and your item will be sterilised in no time!
Beardo Mobile Phone Sanitiser
Beardo's mobile phone cleaner is specially formulated to sanitise your gadgets. It comes as a spray and is very effective in killing germs. Beardo's gadget cleaner can be bought for ₹ 300.00 on Beardo.
How to Use:
- Spray on your gadget and wipe it gently with a tissue or clean cloth.
- Avoid spraying directly on your mobile buttons, speakers, etc.
Notable Mention: PhoneSoap 3 UV Cell Phone Sanitiser and Dual Universal Cell Phone Charger
PhoneSoap 3 UV Phone Sanitiser is a multi-purpose device that cleans and sanitises your phone while on the charge. It is the only device that disinfects your entire phone. It can fit anywhere and takes a few minutes to clean your phone. It can be bought for approximately ₹ 18,000.00 from Amazon.
- Cleans and charges all phones including Apple, Samsung, Google devices, etc.
- Uses UVC technology – no heat, no liquids and no chemicals.
- Kills 99.9% germs and harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Patented design allows a complete 360° UV-C disinfection.
- Lifetime bulb warranty with a lifespan of 4,000 years.
- Shuts off automatically.
- You can clean whatever fits inside, including keys, credit cards, earbuds, jewellery, masks, phone cases and many other things.
- Two standard 5V USB ports accessible.
How to Use:
- Step 1: Plug in the cable of your phone into the back of the device and pass it through the port at the bottom of the device into the sanitising space.
- Step 2: Plug it into your device to engage charging; the PhoneSoap 3 unit must be plugged into the wall.
- Step 3: A blue indicator turns on when your phone is being sanitised. Once the process is complete, the indicator turns off automatically.
- Step 4: UV light is the most effective on hard surfaces like a phone but can also be used for other things including watches, fitness trackers, etc.
Tips on Sanitising Other Electronic Devices
Your electronic devices go with you every day, and you use them on a daily basis, and thus, they are some of the dirtiest surfaces in your home. Electronic items require special care, and so it is important to clean these surfaces regularly. The right way to clean some of the most used electronic devices are mentioned below:
Computer or Laptop Screen:
- Turn off your device.
- Clean the screen using a dry cloth or a tissue.
- Spray an EPA registered disinfectant on a clean microfibre cloth.
- Gently wipe down the display with the cloth, avoiding all openings.
- Disconnect the keyboard from the power source, remove the batteries, or turn off your laptop/remove it from your PC.
- Spray the keyboard with canned air to remove crumbs or dust.
- Lightly, dab a cotton swab in a cleaner and clean the keys on the keyboard one after one in a circular motion.
- Dry the keys using a soft cloth.
- Unplug or take the batteries out of the mouse.
- Use a cotton swab dabbed in a cleaner to rub away any dirt present on the surface.
Concluding Thoughts: Keep Sanitising Other Daily-Use Items as Well!
In this article we've thoroughly discussed how you can sanitise and disinfect your smartphones and touch screen devices. Not only these devices, but you must also keep other things at home sanitised and disinfected too. COVID-19 spread has affected lakhs of people all across the world and the situation doesn't seem to be getting much better for a while. Coronavirus can stay on surfaces like plastic and glass for about 3-4 days. Thus, along with personal hygiene, maintaining hygiene around your surroundings is of utmost importance in situations like today. Cleaning your mobile phone, other electronic devices along with other surfaces, is as important as washing your hands.
Sanitising Your Smartphone Regularly is Very Important
As would have been evident by now, sanitising your smartphone regularly and correctly is extremely important for you and your family. We hope this BP Guide would have helped you understand how to sanitise your mobile phone correctly and which product you would like to use to disinfect your phone. Stay connected with us for more such engaging content.