How to Go About Making a DIY Gift for Your Boyfriend
Reason for Doing It Yourself
DIY stands for Do It Yourself. As the name says, DIY is an art of converting regular, not-in-use things into useful or decorative products without assistance of a professional or an expert. Doing projects yourself gives you immense happiness because the product obtained is the result of your efforts and crucial time.
Creating a d.i.y gift for boyfriend will let you put your creative skills to use alongside saving money. Your boyfriend will surely like the handmade item instead of a readymade gift product bought from the market. Accuracy and quality don't matter when a gift is given with emotional feelings and love. You can gift him decorative things for his room, garden, gadgets, cook his favorite dish, and do much more.
Quality, Value and the Experience Matter More Than Price
DIY gifts are highly valuable, not in terms of cost, but the efforts that you make in finding things, exchanging ideas and knowledge with people, and using your heart and brain to make a gift at home.
If you are not comfortable with your DIY skills, you will start getting better results day by day, when you make them frequently. You can mend various things, do enhancements, practice your hobby, and have a lot more to do when creating a handmade gift. All you need to do is enjoy making things, and your efforts will surely be appreciated by the receiver.
Look for Inspiration and Ideas
Inspiration and motivation matter a lot when you are planning to start doing something. The desire to celebrate a special day with your partner, like his birthday, anniversary, valentine day, or a festival is a great inspiration. You can watch various videos on the internet on how to make diy gift for boyfriend anniversary that he would love to receive. Gifts you make must be useful in one or the other way otherwise your efforts will go in vain.
3 Types of Creative DIY Projects that Your Boyfriend Will Love
Cooking DIY Projects
For Indian women, cooking is the best and the most loved DIY project, when they need to express love and concern for someone. Whether he is vegetarian or non-vegetarian, a dish made by you will surely make him lick his fingers. You can find easy recipes for how to cook all kinds of food, from sea food, candies, chutney, and pasta, to cakes, cookies and more that are all clearly described with mouth-watering pictures and full list of ingredients.
What to Cook and How to Cook is a great savior if you are not confident on your cooking. The book helps you cook the tastiest cuisine for your boyfriend with recipes for around 100 everyday dishes. Available for Rs.2,901 on Flipkart, this book is your key to expressing your emotions via the stomach route. Cook for him or cook with him and serve him a dish full of love and care with easy to make recipes for appetizing and luscious food.
Utility DIY Projects
Utility DIY projects are those by which you can fix many things, and men love to do minor household repair and simple tasks on their own. Espares.co.uk has tools using which allow you to do various utility works at home, without needing any prior knowledge. Though this isn’t one of those diy gifts for boyfriend, buying him a kit from the site with full description and explanation on how to use one efficiently will let him go DIY mode with minor household chores.
For instance, if you want to design stairs for your house, create simple and cheap air conditioners, repair a screen door, or fix your car, you can spend quality time with him by assisting in his DIY work. Let him be a hero in everyone’s eyes by empowering him with the right tools to fix, repair, or mend various things on his own.
Personal Care DIY Projects
Though they don’t show it much but men are also concerned about their personality and appearance. Though many products publicize about safety and guarantee through various appealing ads but not all available in the market are healthy. Some may contain various harmful ingredients which will produce side effects in the long run.
Are you worried about your boyfriend’s personal care? A simple solution to this is to make your own customised beauty products such as sunscreen lotion or a deodorant using natural and safe ingredients and present the same to him as a diy gift for boyfriend; look for ideas on Pinterest.
Win Your Man’s Heart by Cooking Him Something Unique
Win a man’s heart through his stomach is an old but true adage. Catering one of the basic human needs, hunger needs you to make efforts, and making them for your boyfriend can be intimate as well. In addition, creating a menu with his favorites on the list will show your willingness to put him above yourself.
Homemade Ginger Beer
Ginger beer is a healthy and tasty drink, which you can make in no time at home. Your man will surely love this unique mock tail. To prepare it, all you need is ginger, sugar, water, and some more ingredients that you will find as you go through the steps to make it below:
- Take some fresh ginger, peel and grate it with a box grater, filling around ¼ cup with grated ginger.
- Take a large pot and add around ½ teaspoon tartar cream, ¼ cup lemon juice, and ginger.
- Add 4 cups of water and full boil the mixture.
- Next, on medium heat, add sugar to the pot and keep stirring until dissolved.
- Add around 5 cups of cold water to the pot, cool the same to about 75 degrees, add 1 teaspoon of yeast to it and stir well.
- Use a kitchen towel to cover the pot and place it in your house’s dark and warm part for around 3 hours. The mixture should start smelling yeasty and gingery by now.
- Use a fine strainer to pour out all the ginger bits to collect the liquid into a large pitcher.
- Empty the pot and collect all the brewed liquid into a clean plastic bottle. Since the fermentation will yield some carbon dioxide, so avoid filling up the bottles.
This drink is full of vitamins and probiotics, and when made at home, you can be sure of no artificial flavors. Coming to the benefits, ginger removes toxic material from the body, enhancing your ability to fight against various cancers. Make him a healthy drink and enjoy a quality time with your boyfriend, not only showing that you care for him but you admire his presence in your life.
Make a Full Punjabi Thali for Him
As already mentioned, cooking is one of the easiest and the best diy anniversary gift ideas for him. Have you ever thought of a special dinner for him? You need to do a lot of arrangements, and ordering food online will only add to the cost and hassles, in case of late or early delivery. You should prepare it at home, adding your emotions and love in the dish.
A Punjabi Thali is a scrumptious option, as you get to add a variety of vegetables along with pickles, sweet dish, snacks, papad, etc. Don’t know how to make Punjabi food? Don’t worry, Punjabi Recipes is a great option available on Flipkart for Rs.140. You can choose from some luscious recipes provided in the book and create a memorable dinner with the mouth-watering DIY Punjabi thali for him.
Delicious Homemade Rasgulla Cake
Rasgulla – a tempting sweet dish with a magnetic effect is another good option on the list. Everyone loves rasgulla and imagine when you prepare it for your boyfriend, you can sense his feelings for you. You can make tasty and delicious rasgulla in just an hour and I am sure it will take only seconds to finish it.
The ingredients for this simple to make dish are also easily available in the kitchen. However, since rasgullas are readily available, from local vendors to high-class restaurants and shops, why not try and make a delicious rasgulla cake to make your boyfriend feel special. Get some rasgullas from your nearest store and follow the steps below from a tarladalal.com recipe to make one:
- 2 cups plain flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tbsp soda bicarb
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 3/4 cup white butter
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Oil for greasing
- 400 ml whipped cream
- 8 chopped rasgullas
- 3 sweet limes cut into segments
How to make it:
- Take baking powder, floor, cocoa powder, and soda bicarb together, sieve the mixture, and keep it aside.
- Heat milk to lukewarm state. Beat/stir butter, curd, caster sugar, and vanilla essence till the mixture becomes smooth and frothy.
- Fold both curd mixture and flour mixture, and add milk gently to it. Create a smooth batter by mixing quickly and gently.
- Preheat the oven, pour the batter into greased cake tin, and bake it at 180 degree Celsius for around 25 minutes, on the center rack.
- Check the cake with a knife by inserting it in the center. If the knife comes out clean, take the cake out of the oven and demould it after a few seconds. Leave the cake at room temperature to cool it.
- Beat the cream to create a soft peak, and fill half of it using a large star nozzle into a piping bag. Keep the rest aside.
- Cut 3 horizontal layers of the cake, keeping one of the layers on the serving plate.
- Cut rasgullas in half, place half pieces on the base layer of the cake, and place 2nd layer on top of it.
- Spread the rest of the rasgulla halves and keep the 3rd layer on top.
- Use the remaining cream to cover the top of your layered cake, and arrange some sweet limes on top.
- Use the piping bag to pipe out stars, and let the cake chill. Your rasgulla cake is now ready to serve and eat.
A cocktail can be a perfect d.i.y gift for your boyfriend if he loves drinking it, and you can add more fun to it if you are comfortable drinking with him. Many people have only heard of or seen cocktails in parties, functions, or pubs and bars only, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make one at home.
Liquor.com has a variety of cocktails for you to prepare the favorite one for your boyfriend on a dream date or any other special occasion. There are recipes for mojito, martini, bloody mary, manhattan, margarita, daiquiri cocktails and many more. You can also prepare the cocktail according to a specific theme, and set up his mood. However, if you are new to making cocktails at home, a simple recipe for the French Martini Cocktail given here will help you amuse him.
French Martini Cocktail
- 2 oz or 60ml Vodka
- 1 ¾ oz or 55ml Pineapple Juice
- ¼ oz or 7.5ml Crème de cassis liqueur
How to make it:
- Take a shaker.
- Add all the ingredients along with ice and shake well.
- Fine-strain the resulting liquid into a chilled cocktail glass.
Some Useful DIY Gifts for Your Boyfriend
Handmade gifts are the best ones that you can give to your boyfriend, where all you need is to choose the one that he will admire and appreciate, something useful for him. You might be new to the DIY thing or an experienced DIYer. A few diy anniversary gift ideas for him given below can help you make him feel special with your extra efforts.
Lego Key Hook
Keys often get misplaced if not kept properly. The hassle of finding keys might irritate you when you are in a great hustle. Don’t let your boyfriend face the same situation anytime in his life, by creating him a lego key hook. He can hold the keys in the holes in the lego key holder, which can contain up to 6 keys depending on the design.
Let him know that he can carry it with himself as a key ring or use it as a wall hanging key holder. If you don't have spare pieces of Lego around the house, get Lego 200 Random Pieces of Good Clean Used Bricks and Parts Bulk from amazon.in for Rs.1,830 and make him a wonderful key holder to help him keep his keys safe.
Lego Key Holder
What you need:
- Lego base plate
- Pieces of lego plates and bricks
- Some adhesive pads or putty
- Spirit level
- Key chain or rings
How to make it:
- Stick some adhesive pads or putty on the back of a lego base plate.
- Fix the plate on the wall. You can use screws drilled through the plate into the wall for a permanent fixture.
- Before fixing, you can use the spirit level to ensure that the plate is straight
- Thread in a small chain or key ring into the holes of a small lego piece
- Your board is ready, which you can use to hang keys on it without losing them.
Heart Shaped Soap
Heart shaped soaps are a great diy anniversary gift ideas for him as a token of your love. Their shape and fragrance will melt his heart too. You can also write his name or a love message on the soap using stamp. Make soaps in assorted colors and wrap them in a transparent and designer pouch to win his heart with hearts. Follow the below steps to make a heart-shaped soap.
Heart Shaped Soap
What you need:
- Nonstick 9-inch square pan
- Heart-shape cookie cutter
- Heatproof glass measuring cup
- Glycerin soap
- Bench scraper
- Soap colorant or food coloring
- Spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
- Cutting board
- Needlenose pliers
- 1/8-inch metal letter stamps
- Masking tape
How to make it:
- Cut some soap in small pieces and put them in a measuring cup.
- Put the pieces in a microwave and heat them until the material melts and stir.
- Add more soap and heat the ingredients until the water amount is matched, add colorant to it, and then stir again.
- Pour the liquid in a pan and spray some alcohol to remove bubbles.
- Leave it at room temperature for about 2 hours and then freeze for around 10 minutes after it is hardened.
- Put the frozen soap on cutting board or table, use a cookie cutter to create heart shapes, and add a name/message on top using stamps.
While you might get all the items at home, you will need a heart-shaped cookie cutter to create the desired shape. Stainless Steel Heart Cookie Cutter 5pcs is the thing you need, which is available for Rs.69 from Romwe.
Comic Book Coasters
Coasters are used to cover drinks or to make them rest on the table so as to prevent the marks of spilled drinks. Now you can make your own coasters at home and customize them according to your choice. If he is like the other guys out there and likes to read comic books, you can create some of the same theme.
With a number of methods to create a comic theme coaster available online, you can design them in different shapes and sizes. Choose a specific theme keeping in mind the age, choice, and interests of the person you want to gift a coaster to.
Comic Book CoastersWhat you need:
- Chip-board blanks or wood of round shape
- Comic books (original books or printouts of the images for your coaster theme).
- Electrical outlet covers
- Adhesive and non-toxic sealer, glue, and finisher
- Paint brush and spray paint
Follow these steps to make your coaster:
- Rub the round-shaped wood or chip board with a 220-grit sandpaper.
- Use spray paint to give the desired color to your coasters. Allow the color to dry before moving to the next step.
- Cut out the graphics from the comic book or printouts, of the desired size. You can either choose to cover the entire coaster base with graphics or leave some background color visible.
- You can also choose to dampen your images to make sure that there are no bubbles or wrinkles after pasting. Do not wet the printed papers as it may damage the graphic, or do check a portion before dampening all the images.
- Push out any excess water on the images by running your fingers along the paper, lay them on coaster base followed by a gentle smoothing to remove any air bubbles.
- Leave the same to dry, and then apply the sealer, glue, and finisher on top.
- Sand it with the 220-grit sandpaper and apply another sealer coating.
- The coasters are ready, and you can now glue a gasket, cork, or any other thing on the backside to serve as a padding.
This finishes your DIY comic book coaster, and you can also choose to create a personalised coaster with some personal images instead of comic book graphics.
DIY Tea Bags
Tea bag or tea balls are easy to make and carry, and could be one of the best gifts for boyfriend. Material required is also less, which one can find them from the kitchen itself. Being a very unique gift idea, this could be a compelling idea for your tea-loving boyfriend. Make sure to create a bulk of items and wrap 15-20 in a box as a gift.
After gifting it to your tea-lover, sit back for a cup of tea with him. Simply, add a cup of hot water in it and your tea is ready. This healthy choice will keep you fresh all the time.
All you need is some coffee filters, string, stapler, and loose leaf tea, in order to make a coffee filter tea bags. Follow these steps to make your DIY tea bag at home, or watch the video below to understand how to make tea bags at home.
- Take some coffee filters or a muslin paper, and cut into small rectangles.
- Put the desired quantity of loose leaf tea in each.
- Fold the sides first and then the top and bottom sides.
- Finally staple after placing a thread to finish making your tea bags at home.
Sweet Personal Care DIY Gifts for Boyfriend
This is a wonderful chance to show that you love him, care for him, and want him to be his best always. A personal care gift not only comes out as product of use, but a gift that displays your concern for him from head to toe. Caring for his personality will surely make him fall in love every time he gets to use something gifted by you.
Rosemary Mint Shaving Cream
Shaving cream, a very pampering and useful gift for a man, something he cannot resist. Adding the fragrance of rosemary mint will act as an icing on the cake. However, like personal care products, a shaving cream available in the market may contain harmful ingredients. Since facial skin is very delicate and needs special care, you can go for a homemade cream as a diy gift for boyfriend anniversary.
Use natural ingredients to make a cream that will serve the purpose of shaving and also provide moisture to the skin. Melt 2/3 cup shea nut oil and coconut oil together, stir in grapeseed or olive oil (1/4th cup) and add 10-20 drops of the essential oil you want (here, rosemary mint). Pour the mix in a container, stir it, then put to harden, in a fridge, let it soften, and at last, add 2 tablespoon baking soda, 2 vitamin E capsules’ content to make it light and fluffy. Gift him this regular use thing free from side effects, and display an emotion of love and care.
Bay Rum Aftershave
It is said that the West Indie bay leaves made their debut across the world in the 16th century when sailors used to mask their body odor. This bay rum recipe is a manly thing that your boyfriend is going to love, for sure. You can make one at home with simple ingredients. Follow the recipe below.
If you don’t have the West Indies essential oil, you can prepare the aftershave with rest of the ingredients and add the oil when you get it.
Bay Rum Aftershave
What you need:
- Vodka, 8 oz
- Jamaican spiced rum, 8 oz
- Bay West Indies essential oil drops, 20-40
- Cinnamon, 1 stick
- Allspice, 1/4 tsp
- Dried whole cloves, 3
- Orange or lime zest
- Glycerin, 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract, 1/4 to ½ tsp
- Whole black peppercons, 1/4 tsp
- Lemon zester
- 2 decorative bottles of 8 oz each
- Brown Kraft Labels
How to make it:
- Wash the orange/limes and leave them to dry. Peel off the outer skin using a lemon zester or a vegetable peeler, without removing the bitter white pith.
- Take a jar, place the peels in it, and put rum and vodka/witch hazel on top to cover them.
- Add other ingredients like allspice, cinnamon, bay west indies essential oil, peppercorns, and cloves. Glycerin is optional, if you wish to add it.
- Thoroughly shake the mixture, and then place it in a dark cabinet for around 4 weeks. For the first week, shake the mixture every few days, followed by occasional shaking.
- After 4 weeks, pour some of the aftershave on wrist to check it, and if need to make it stronger, allow it to steep in dark for a couple of weeks more.
- You can add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract to add sweetness. When you are satisfied with the aftershave, strain out all the spices and peel, collecting the final result in a clean jar.
Gentleman's Survival Kit
Survival kit is a kit specially made to use in emergency situations. You can customize your kit using essential products such as matches, flask, hatchet, whiskey, batteries, set of cutlery etc. It is a kind of suitcase in which you can insert the essentials in the provided cut outs. As simple as it looks, it is a kind of small briefcase which is used to hold essential items in the cutouts provided for each.
Take an old briefcase, some plywood, cutting and finishing tools, and the items that your boyfriend’s survival kit should contain. Make cut outs for all the items you are going to include in the kit, use double tape or button up locks for every item, preventing any item from moving freely in the briefcase.
Make your own stamp with your name, a special message, or a desired text on it. Use it to stamp the text on handkerchiefs and you get your hand-stamped handkerchiefs ready. Though quite easy to make, such handkerchiefs can even be tried by some youngsters.
Gift a handkerchief with a special message on it, to your boyfriend, husband, or father, and he will surely love the idea. You can stamp in a proper order or free style, based on your personal preference. Follow the steps below to make them at home.
Hand Stamped Handkerchief
What you need:
- Sticky back foam, in a pre-cut shape or a desired shape cut at home, for the stamp where pre-cut foams are helpful for kids.
- A cork, bottle cap, wood block, an old film canister, or anything else to put the stamp on.
- A plastic lid or tray and a scrap piece of felt to make the stamp pad.
- Some fabric paint
- A plain handkerchief to put the stamp on.
How to make it:
- Start by preparing the design or text for the stamp on a paper. Trace the same on the foam stamp, and cut out the same using a craft knife or scissors.
- Take the stamping device (bottle cap, cork, or anything else), and stick the cut-out stamp foam on it by peeling off the paper back. Before sticking, you can also mark the stamping device for the right side to avoid sticking on the wrong side.
- Now, make the stamp pad by putting a paint drop on a plastic tray and laying the piece of felt on the ink.
- Press the stamp on the felt until the paint crosses across, and you have your stamp pad ready. In case the inkpad dries off or you feel like more ink is needed, just lift the felt, put a couple of drops on the tray and place the felt on top again.
- Take your stamp, wet it with ink by pressing it on the felt, and then stamp the handkerchief for your boyfriend.
- In order to finish off painting your fabric handkerchief, you might need to leave it to dry for a couple of hours. Some fabric paints might require you to heat set using iron followed by washing.
- Try making a stamp foam with some simple design for a test run, and then proceed with a desired, graphic, text, and/or name for your boyfriend.
Time and patience
Nobody is perfect at anything from the get go. All of us have made crafts as kids, and if you recall, it was an awful lot of fun. Try to enjoy the experience of making something by hand and remind yourself this is for someone you love each time you get overwhelmed. Have a little patience with yourself; you will get it right. Give yourself some time to get it right and you will have a gift you can be proud of.