Hair, a Woman's Pride
A woman is beautiful in all forms but a head full of hair enhances her beauty to extremes. Hair is seen as a reflection of a women's personality. We often hear women say "a bad hair day is a bad day overall" and it's true as women as well as men take pride in their hair and invest a lot of time and money in taking care of it. Hair can affect a person’s self-esteem as people have a quaint relationship with hair.
People especially women demonstrate their femininity, identity and freedom through hair therefore it is important for them to have hair that is attractive and manageable. She holds her pride and glory in her hair and you'll find women investing a lot more on hair then on their outfits this is why men like to compliment a women's hair to make them feel special. Just like any other things people want what they usually don't have or can't have, the same applies to hair. Every woman with beautiful curls can die for straight locks and does everything to get it. The most popular method is to use heat by using either a blow dryer for styling or straightening rods but can it be done without using heat on your hair? We have tried to compile ways through which you can get your most desired straight hair without using damaging heat to your hair.
Is Heat Bad for Hair?
So, why are we talking about straightening hair without using heat? Although using heat is a fast way to straighten your hair it comes with ill effects. Heat damages hair by making it dry and dull. If too much heat is applied on hair for a long period of time it can permanently lose integrity and leaves hair lifeless and it even starts to break.
Blow drying, flat iron straightening or hot curling can cause severe trauma to hair and hair tends to crack and starts to split at the ends, it also increases frizz. The more heat is used the more damage occurs to your hair. Since using flat iron straighteners and blow drying is easier and faster women tend to use it often which results in damaged hair.
Read below the methods of straightening hair without using heat. These methods are natural and cause no harm to your hair and give you the desired results.
10 Ways to Straighten Your Hair without Using a Heating Iron
Hair wrapping is one of the oldest methods of hair straightening without using damaging heat. It is a little difficult to follow this technique but it is extremely effective once you get the hang of it. Although this technique varies according to the length and texture of the hair the basics remains the same.
All you need is bobby pins around three inches long and a satin cloth for wrapping hair.
- Separate the top section of the hair from where you usually part it. Cob the length of the fair as flat as you can.
- Hold hair tightly and bring one section to the opposite side of the head and pin it tightly.
- Repeat the same for each section of the hair.
- Cover the head with a satin cloth or a hair turban during the night. Uncover your hair and brush it lightly, you'll be happy to see the results.
Sleep with Your Hair Wet
Getting straight hair without using heat requires some efforts but you'll love the results. Wrapping hair overnight may be difficult if you have long hair but you can always sleep with wet hair regardless of the length of hair although it is safer to use this technique during summers.
- Tie wet hair into a ponytail on top of your head with a band, make sure it's not too tight.
- Twist the ponytail into a bun and tie it again with another hairband or a hair tie.
- Sleep peacefully and let it work, you will get nice and straight hair in the morning.
- It is advisable to sleep on a satin pillow cover to avoid too much friction. Friction causes hair breakage and extra frizz.
Changing Your Hair Care Routine
It is important to use products that help in straightening hair without using heat. Using special shampoos and conditioners contain high levels of moisturizer which helps in straightening the curls can do the trick. These special shampoos also contain ingredients like silicones, polymers etc that are deposited on hair even after washing them which results in smooth and straight hair.
Another thing to remember is to use shampoos that are sulphate free to avoid dullness or dryness to your hair.
Some good hair straightening shampoos available in the market are:
- WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
- Free Paraben Sulphate OGX Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- L’Oréal Professionnel X-Tenso Care Pro-Keratin Shampoo and
- many more.
Use an Extra-Absorbent Towel
You want straight hair by reducing the damage caused by heat then learn to use towel drying. Go ahead and by an extra absorbent towel like a microfiber towel. These special towels are designed to absorb water and retain moisture in hair without causing extra frizz.
Start by holding the tips of the hair to absorb dripping water. Do not rub your hair together, let the towel absorb it well and then work upwards blotting water of hair. Avoid rubbing hair together while drying to avoid frizz.
Blow Dry with Cold Air
Straightening hair using a dryer is the easiest but blow-drying causes massive damage to hair. You can still use the blow dryer but to avoid damaging hair use it with cool air instead of hot air.
- Start by air drying three-quarters of hair.
- Next, divided hair into sections and use cool air on the blow dryer setting.
- Dry hair starting from root to tip and don't forget to keep the dryer at least six inches away from hair during drying. You can use straightening hair serum or leave-in conditioner while using cool air drying for better effects.
Banding is an all-natural way to straighten curly hair. When you band your hair, it stretches your hair while they dry and results in elongated hair and you can also wear multiple bands without removing them as hairstyle which is quite popular now a days. Start with the following steps and get great looking hair in the morning
- Start with washing and conditioning your hair as usual. You would freshly wash hair to look your best the next day.
- It is usually said to avoid combing or detangling wet hair as they tend to break more but you can do it if you use gentle strokes and using a wide comb or even with your fingers. It would be better if you detangle your hair while you are still under running water to avoid excessive breakage.
- Before air drying your hair, apply a good leave-in conditioner to add extra moisture, it will also help you to remove the bands the next day.
- Next divide hair into sections, you can choose how you want to divide it as long as they are close to each other and are even in size.
- It is time to band your hair but before that, you need to decide the type of bands you want to use. It is recommended to use elastic bands to avoid pulling hair while removing them. Also, place bands close to each other for better results. It takes longer for hair to dry if the bands are places in gaps.
- You can go to bed after you are done banding your hair and wake up with straighter and elongated hair.
Use a Smoothing Product
There are a number of ways through which you can get straight hair without using heat but most of them take time and effort. Using a smoothing product for straight hair is as easier as it can get. Hair straightening creams gives you temporary smooth and straight hair, you can do it without wasting too much time or working it overnight.
- Start with washing your hair with sulphate free shampoo.
- Dry your hair with an extra-absorbent towel by crunching the tips to dry out the excessive water.
- Detangle your hair with a wide comb or fingers
- Take a hair straightening cream of your choice on your palm (start with a small amount of cream first)
- Spread the cream evenly from head to the tip.
- Run your fingers or use a shampoo brush to spread the cream evenly into your hair.
- Divide hair into 3, 4 sections and pin them with wide pins.
- Now use a round brush and use cool air to dry hair. Some creams are heat activated therefore they require using hot air but since you don't want that make sure you buy creams that are not heat activated.
- Continue to air dry your hair till it’s all dry.
Wrap Your Hair Around Your Head
Another way of getting straight hair overnight is wrapping damp hair around your head but again avoid using this method during winters, you may fall sick due to the cold weather.
- Again, start by washing your hair and towel drying it.
- Detangle hair with a brush or a wide comb
- Take one section of hair and wrap it on your head, tighten it with hairpins.
- Repeat the process with all the sections by taking it to opposite sides.
- After all the hair is wrapped and pinned, cover it with a silk scarf and go to bed.
- Wake up with nice, straight hair, you'll be happy to have frizz-free straight hair all through the day.
Make a Natural Straightening Mask
If you like to use masks then you can make one right at your home. Making this mask is easy and natural, therefore, gives ample nutrition to your hair.
- Take 1 Cup of whole milk, you can also use coconut milk.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey
- Apply this mask onto your hair an hour before washing. Another easy mask is:
- Take 2 cups of milk * Add one egg in it.
- Apply it evenly onto hair for 15 minutes before washing
- Squeeze it out and wrap it with a plastic shower cap for 30 minutes.
- Wash hair with shampoo and air dry it. It is recommended to use these masks twice a week to get good results. You can add a few drops of coconut oil for smoother results.
Twist Hair into a Bun
There are many different kinds of hair, some are easily manageable and some are stubborn. If you are lucky to have obedient hair then using this method will work great for you.
- Wet your hair.
- Air dry and tie it in a ponytail and twist it like a rope.
- Then twist the already twisted ponytail into a bun and tie it with an elastic band.
- Let it dry overnight or till you are ready to go out. Open it and brush it lightly and it's done.
Home Remedies for Straightening Your Hair
Although there are tons of shampoos, conditioners, serums and creams available for hair care for all types if you like to go natural then there are some home remedies just for that. You can easily use these remedies to straighten your hair.
You can find the ingredients easily in your kitchen, use them and have healthy and nutritional hair.
Regular hot oil treatment Oils are a great source of nourishment for hair and hot oil treatment is very good when it comes to treating your hair. It also helps in straightening your hair as well.
- Warm half cup of coconut oil and apply it evenly on the hair
- Take a towel, dip it in hot water and squeeze excess water from it.
- Wrap the towel around your head.
- Leave it for around 5 to 8 minutes.
- You can repeat this couple of times before washing it with a mild shampoo.
- Comp your hair with a wide comb.
Olive oil and eggs Olive oil is very similar to the chemical structure of the oil produced by our bodies therefore it is advisable to use Olive oil for hair. It contains hydroxytyrosol and loads of Vitamin E. Eggs, on the other hand, contains a great number of vitamins and minerals with fatty acids. Using these two gives great strength to our hair.
- Mix olive oil and 2 eggs together.
- Apply it evenly onto your hair.
- Cover it with a shower cap for around 20 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
Multani Mitti Almost everyone knows about Multani mitti, also known as Fuller's earth but some know its benefits. People usually use it for skincare but using it for your hair has great benefits too.Method:
- Add 2 tbsp of Multani mitti with some water to make a paste.
- Put it on the hair especially to the roots and the scalp for better effects. Comb your hair with a wide comb and leave it on for about an hour.
- Wash your hair with warm water and you'll have straight and flowing hair in no time.
Add Finishing Products to Reduce Frizz and Add Shine
If you have the kind of hair that may frizz or curl up, finishing products are your friends, not your enemies. But we've already learned to avoid silicones and oils, found in most shine agents, so what's left? "A light-hold hairspray is a good idea. "But it's best to wait for the hair to cool down first. Think about spraying a hot pan — it'll sizzle and steam. Your hair will do the same thing!"