Role of Spices in Indian Cooking and in Biryani
Spices and India go together-pun intended. Some of the best spices like cinnamon, black pepper turmeric and cumin are produced in India which by the way led those East India Company ships to India. India is still one of the largest producers of spices in the world so we eat them a whole lot. Indian dishes are known to be full of aroma, spices and excellent taste. Each spice has its unique taste and you will find these spices in every household.
Spices don't only enhance the taste of a dish but are loaded with phyto-nutrients, essential oils, anti oxidants, minerals and vitamins. They are a plant based compounds which have the ability of preventing diseases to keep us safe. They are known for their anti clotting properties and maintain the blood flow preventing coronary artery diseases as well. Spices that we eat are taken from roots, fruits, barks, flowers, and leaves to make our dishes healthy and tasty.
Biryani is a dish which is very famous in India be it vegetarian or non vegetarian. It is made with a lot of spices and each spice is to be measured correctly to make a perfect biryani. You can buy Biryani Masala from the market but grounding it at home ensures the purity and taste of the masala and makes an out of the world biryani at home. Here we are sharing a great recipe for making Biryani Masala at home. You can easily prepare it and make a great Biryani for your guests this Diwali.
Making Biryani Masala at Home
If you are looking to make a Biryani with fresh grounded Masala then you are at the right page. The given recipes use correct measurement of the spices needed in a Biryani. You can use the same Masala in Pulao to enhance its taste.
Tips on Making The Perfect Biryani/Pulao Masala
You can follow these tips to make a perfect Biryani/Pulao Masala:
- Take out all the spices needed in a separate bowl to clean them. Remove any stones etc from them
- If you've had them for a while, you might see mold or worms in it. Remove those spices immediately
- Always use fresh spices for better taste.
- It is good to sun dry them or roast them in a pan before grinding them
- Buy ceylon cinnamon rather than cassia
Pulao for 3 to 4 servings – 1 teaspoon Biryani Masala powder.
Biryani for 4 to 5 servings – 2 teaspoon Biryani Masala powder.
How to Make Biryani Masala at Home
Ingredients for Biryani Masala
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds (sabut dhania) or 16 grams coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds (shah jeera) or 19 grams caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera) or 8 grams cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon mace strands (javitri) or 4 grams mace strands
- 15 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) or 3 grams green cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon cloves (lavang) or 4 grams cloves
- 8 small to medium sized tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 4 dry red chilies or 3 grams dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 3 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 5 cinnamon sticks (dalchini) - each of about 3 inches, 2 grams
- 1 small nutmeg (jaiphal) or 5 grams nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon black pepper (sabut kali mirch) or 3 grams black pepper
Clean the Whole Spices
It is important to clean the whole spices before using them to avoid any stones or mud coming into your mouth while eating Biryani. Take all the spices and put them in separate plates. Clean them thoroughly. Check to see if there are any worms or insects in them and remove the spices if you see any. Dirty or mold infected spices can infect your gut.
Put them in the Sun
You can mix the measured spices together after cleaning them. Put them in a plate and cover it with a muslin cloth to avoid any dust falling in it. Keep them in the sun for 2 to 3 days but remember to bring them back inside at night. If you are making it during the monsoon season you can roast them on a tava one by one. This process enhances the aroma of the spices.
Grinding of the Masala
Take the nutmeg in a mortar pastel and crush it till coarse and keep it aside. Take all the spices and put them in a dry grinder jar, remember to break the cinnamon sticks before adding them in. Add in the crushed nutmeg in the jar and grind them till you get a smooth and find powder.
Sieve and Grind again
You might see small grits in the Masala after grinding them which is fine but if you like it nice and smooth then you can sieve the powder. Remove the pieces you see and grind them again and mix them with the powder. It is important to let the masala cool down before you store it. Spread it on a plate for 10 minutes and store in an airtight glass jar.
Storing the Masala
This recipe will give you fresh homemade 75 grams of Biryani Masala. Make sure to keep it in an airtight jar. You can also keep it in your fridge or freezer and use it when you want.
3 Videos on YouTube to Learn Making Biryani Masala at Home
If you like to watch videos and learn to make things then you can view the given YouTube videos. These videos will help you see how and what to do to make the perfect Biryani Masala.
1. Watch Dipika ki duniya. Her channel is quite popular and she teaches you various dishes. Her video for making Biryani Masala is quite popular and simple.
2. Hebbars Kitchen is another great channel to learn various recipes. It shows the most simple methods of cooking great dishes. You can learn making great Biryani Masala through the channel.
3. Another good channel to learn tricks of cooking delicious food is Foodvedam. Watch this video and learn to make a perfect Biryani Masala.
4 Ready-Made Biryani Masala in the Market
Making Biryani Masala is easy but does take some time. If you do not want to invest too much time or have unannounced guests at home you can easily buy some good Biryani Masala from the market. Here are 4 Biryani Masala available in the market. They are perfect in taste and have good reviews.
1. Urban Platter Hyderabadi Biryani Masala, this Biryani Masala is made by mixing fresh spices and makes a delicious batch of the famous Hyderabadi biryani. It has a rich aroma and flavor to it. You can buy it for Rs. 275 from Urban Platter.
2. A very famous brand in Masalas is the Everest Masala. You can buy the Shahi Biryani Masala from this brand and make tasty Biryani at home. It is available for Rs. 69 from Amazon and make a tasty batch for your guests.
3. The Nawab's secret Hyderabadi Biryani Masala is also a good choice. It is made with fresh and natural spices and will enhance the taste of your Biryani. You can order it from Amazon for Rs. 125.
4. Lastly is the Royal Biryani Masala. This again is a good mix of natural spices to give your Biryani a great taste. It is available for Rs. 199 from Qtrove.
Spices in Indian Cooking
Spices are one of India's great forte when it comes to cooking. The spices are well made and when used to make a meal, it leaves one wanting more. It is thus a pleasure to them to share some of the invaluable tips in making such appetizing dishes. One awesome meal that many like is the Biryani. Here in are some tips and helpful ways to learn how to make the Biryani Masala, for making an awesome meal.