Indian Chicken Recipes to Satiate Different Taste Buds
Why Should You Add Chicken to Your Diet?
Chicken is lean meat that can be added to your diet if you want to eat healthily and stay fit. It is free of fat and is also rich in protein, calcium, and phosphorous. It boosts your immunity, keeps your bones healthy and helps you stay strong and fit.
The Various Ways of Cooking Chicken
Chicken can be cooked in different ways. It is a very versatile item that can be added to salads, rolls, tacos, gravies, etc. It can also be eaten by roasting or grilling it.
How Chicken Is Cooked in Different Parts of the Country
Chicken is one of the widely consumed meats in India. Indian love to eat chicken and hence there are countless recipes all over the country, Chicken is cooked as a gravy, roasted and grilled and eaten as kebabs, minced chicken dishes are also widely famous. India is also the land of spices. So, by mixing a concoction of spices with soft and succulent chicken pieces, Indians make wonderful dishes.
Indian Chicken Recipes
Chicken Recipes with Rice
In India, chicken is added to flavorful rice to make delicious dishes. Some of the common chicken with rice recipes are chicken biryani, chicken pulao, chicken fried rice, etc.
Biryani is cooked in different ways all over India. Chicken Biryani, one of the most popular biryani variants in India also has its own style in different states of India. In this column, we shall share our favourite biryani type – the dum biryani. Dum Biryani can be cooked in two ways. One, where you cook the chicken and add to the semi-cooked rice, and two, where you marinate the chicken and add to the semi-cooked rice. Here, we shall follow the latter. So, let’s get started.
To cook the rice, you shall need:
- 2 cups of long grained basmati rice
- 2.5 liters of water
- 2 pieces of clove
- 1 small bay leaf
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon of shahi jeera
For the chicken marination, you shall need:
- 1 kg of chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt as per taste
- Small bunch coriander leaves
- Small bunch mint leaves
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of shahi jeera
- 2-3 pieces of clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 green cardamoms
- 2-3 black peppercorn
- 1 cup of thinly sliced golden fried onions
- 1 cup of thick plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp of biryani masala or chicken masala
- 1 star anise
Other Ingredients for Dum:
- A pinch of saffron soaked in warm milk (about a ½ cup)
- 1 tsp of kewra water
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp fried onions
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup water
Procedure:For the rice:
- First, wash the rice until it runs clean and soaks it for about 30-35 minutes.
- Next, take a large pot and add the water to it.
- Add all the whole masalas to it and bring the water to a boil.
- When you see a few bubbles in the water, add the soaked rice and salt into it.
- Cook the rice for about 6 - 7 minutes or until it is al dente. Drain it in a colander and set it aside.
- Wash the chicken pieces with water and strain the chicken completely.
- Rub it with a little lemon juice and add ginger garlic paste into it.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a blender, add the coriander leaves, mint leaves, the green chillies, a pinch of salt and make a green paste.
- Rub it onto the chicken pieces.
- Add all the whole spices and give it a good mix.
- Next, add the onions and yogurt to the mixture and mix again.
- Add oil and mix again.
- Add the powdered spices and lemon juice and mix.
- Check if the salt is sufficient and add if required.
- Once everything is perfect, keep it inside the fridge for about an hour.
- Take a medium-size cooking pot and add some oil to the base.
- Take some of the marinated chicken and spread it evenly over it.
- Next, add some of the rice and spread it over the marinade.
- Repeat the layering
- On top add all the ingredients that we mentioned for the dum.
- Next, make a little dough with atta and seal the lid of the cooking pot tightly with it.
- On a stove top, you can either put the cooking pot directly onto the flame or heat a tava and put the pot on it.
- Cook biryani on a medium flame for about 20-30 minutes.
Serves: Four people
Small Bites: Chicken Appetizers
Chicken can be used to make various tasty appetizers. In this list, we have listed some of the famous appetizers that are heroes of all parties and can easily be made at home.
This is a very easy recipe that can be made at home and eaten as starters or added to a wrap as well.
- 300 gms of boneless chicken
- 1 medium onion cubed and layers separated
- 3-4 tbsp of thick curd
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- Wash the chicken. Pat it dry and leave it to dry completely.
- Add all the dry and wet ingredients to the chicken and mix it well.
- Check for taste and once it tastes fine, keep it in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. The longer it stays, the better it absorbs the flavour.
- Soak your wooden skewers in some water for a while and then layer your chicken cubes and onions alternatively.
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Celsius and grill your kebabs for about 15 minutes. Flip sides and grill for another 15 minutes.
- Serve them with your favourite chutney.
This makes for a fantastic appetizer for all parties and celebrations.
- 500 gms minced chicken
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Some mint and coriander leaves
- 2 chopped chillies
- Salt as needed
- 3 tbsp oil for pan frying. Use more if you wish to shallow fry
- You can either boil and use the minced chicken or use it as it is. Add all the ingredients together and mix well.
- Make a nice batter and roll them into small balls and then make patties out of them.
- Remember not to use any water to make the chicken dough.
- Heat the pan with some oil and place the patties to pan fry them.
- Serve the chicken cutlets with some ketchup or chutney.
- Makes about 15 cutlets.
Three Popular Chicken Gravy Recipes from Around the Country
To be honest, chicken is not cooked the same way all over India. Every region has its own specialty. In this list, we have tried to list some of the popular chicken dishes from different parts of India.
This is one of the oldest and most popular chicken recipes of the East and loved dearly by every Bengali. It is spicy and extremely flavourful.
- 1 kg Chicken
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 5 finely sliced onions
- 4 tablespoons of whipped curd
- 3 Bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 pieces of cloves
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Mustard oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- Start by washing the chicken pieces and making 3-4 deep slits on each of the chicken pieces using a knife.
- Next, marinate the chicken in a big mixing bowl with ginger garlic paste, the whipped yogurt, and powdered spices like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, 2 tablespoon mustard oil, and a little salt. Keep this aside for at least 3-4 hours.
- Next, heat about 3 tablespoons of mustard oil in a thick bottomed cooking pan (a kadhai). Once the oil is hot, put in all the whole spices. Allow the whole spices to splutter and release their aroma.
- Then add the sugar, allow it to caramelize, and then add the sliced onions. Fry till they are golden brown in colour.
- Next, add the marinated chicken. Fry it for a while and then add the marinade mixture. Give it a good mix and cook over a low flame, covered, till the masala comes together and is almost cooked.
- Continue to cook till the chicken is tender and the gravy is of a coating consistency.
Note: You may also add fried potatoes and tomato puree to the gravy. You may or may not add water, depending on the thickness of the gravy.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Gavthi Kombdi Rassa
This one is one of the classic Maharashtrian recipes and is a favorite of the locals. It is made with country chicken. However, if it’s not available, you can make it with any chicken.
- 500 gm chicken cut into medium sized pieces.
- 1 large onion and 2 medium sized onions
- 1 cup desiccated dry coconut
- 12-15 garlic cloves
- 1-1.5 inch piece of ginger
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 6 tsp red chili powder
- Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, desiccated coconut, and the sesame seeds until it turns brown. Allow them to cool.
- Roast the large onion on direct flame and let it cool down.
- Take 2 tbsp Oil in a large pan and add finely chopped onion to it. Fry till they become tender.
- Next, add chicken pieces and cook it covered for 5 minutes.
- After about 5 minutes, add 2 cups of hot water and cook until it is almost done.
- Next, peel off the skin of the roasted onion and cut them into large cubes.
- Take all the roasted Ingredients in a grinder along with ginger-garlic, fresh coriander and grind them into a fine paste.
- When the chicken is almost done, remove the fleshy pieces in another plate for Chicken Dry/Sukka.
- The less fleshy chicken pieces will be used to make Chicken Gravy/Rassa.
- Add 3 cups of hot water, 4 tsp red chilli powder, salt as per taste and ⅓ of Masala Paste.
- Cook the Chicken Gravy/Rassa on medium flame until one boil.
- For Chicken Dry/Sukka, take 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add 2 medium sized onion sliced lengthwise to the pan and fry until it becomes tender.
- Add the remaining masala paste, 3 tsp red chilli powder and mix them well.
- Roast the masala paste for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining chicken pieces, salt as per taste and 2 cups of hot water and let the gravy simmer for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- After 3-4 minutes, when it becomes thick, turn off the flame.
- Enjoy Gavthi Kombdi Rassa with steamed rice.
Serves 2-3 people
This dish needs no introduction as it is greatly loved by one and all.
- 2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2-3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce/puree
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek powder or Kasuri methi leaves (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- Heat a medium saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and oil.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook onions until lightly golden.
- Next, add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Ensure that it doesn’t burn.
- Next, add the chicken, tomato paste, and all the spices. Cook until everything is cooked through.
- In the next step, add the cream and simmer for a bit. Stir the gravy occasionally.
- Enjoy it with rice, roti, or naan.
Cooking Chicken is Easy!
The secret to cooking a delicious chicken dish is using the right amount of ingredients that are of good quality and following the procedure to the T. Chicken doesn’t take a long time to cook and can be cooked by anyone who is not a pro at cooking.
Avoid over Cooking
If you aren't aware of the right temperature in which you need to cook a certain type of chicken, we suggest you bring a thermometer to set just the right temperature, which will keep you from overcooking the chicken. According to experts, suppose if you are grilling a chicken, cook it for one and a half minutes on both sides each and leave it in the oven for 6 minutes at 180 degree Celsius. If the chicken is overcooked, it dries out and becomes tasteless.