A Sound Sleep Helps Refresh, Rejuvenate and Replenish
Sleep is one of the first things that you do as newborn, but you still end up ignoring it the most. Isn't it? Don't you know that the right amount of sleep refreshes you from the hectic day, rejuvenates, and replenishes? This, it is imperative to get quality sleep. Besides, when we are sleeping, our body is still at work. It's busy flushing out the toxins, repairing damaged tissues, and restoring the energy. You can say your body is getting recharged. While a good sleep prepares you for the next day, insufficient one can really harm your health. If low energy and tiredness have become a part of your life, it's mostly because you are sleep deprived. That's where checking your routine becomes vital, and these tips on how to sleep can help.
Why is Sleep So Important?
Sleep is as important as physical activities and nutrition for our health. Did you know human beings spend almost a third of their lives sleeping? Sleep patterns may vary with the person, but an adult needs at least 9 to 10 hours of good sleep. Good sleep hygiene leads to:
Sleep boosts the memory and helps to focus better in daily activities. If you get good quality sleep, your productivity level is much better. It improves your mental awareness too. Sleeplessness can lead to forgetting behaviour too.
Strong Immune System
Sleep strengthens the immune system and helps the body fight infections and recover well. It replenishes your body from the damage caused by stress, ultraviolet rays, and other exposure. If you don't get proper sleep, you may tend to fall sick more often and recover slowly too.
Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
An adequate amount of sleep regulates blood pressure and reduces the risk of any heart disease. Less than 6 hours of sleep daily increases the risk of heart disease, and heart rate is always elevated in people who sleep less. Shortened sleep can also increase the CRP level, which is again dangerous for the heart.
Maintains Emotional Balance
A person who does not get enough sleep will not be able to have balanced emotions. Other side-effects of emotional imbalance include unpleasant mood and, eventually, the signs of depression. In short, you will be in a bad mood most of the time and will not be able to concentrate well on any of your daily activities.
Prevents Weight Gain
A person with inadequate sleep will not have the ability to follow a healthy diet as hormones will be out of sync. In such a case, you will start to feel hungrier more often than you should. On the contrary, a good sleeping schedule helps maintain a healthy lifestyle, preventing weight gain as well.
Tips on How to Sleep Better
Many of us find ourselves tossing on the bed till 2 AM, struggling to sleep. Here are a few tips that you can experiment with to get a good night's sleep. By adding these to your lifestyle, you will start feeling better, more active, and productive.
Create an Ideal Room Environment
It has been proved by science that creating the right room environment is ideal for a good night's sleep. To make your bedroom a relaxing and enjoyable place, here are a few key factors:
- Room Temperature: The temperature of your bedroom has a direct effect on your sleep quality. Twenty degrees is believed to be a comfortable temperature for most people. Studies show that high levels of warmth or coolness in the bedroom can lead to poor sleep and wakefulness.
- Dark Environment: Darkness is ideal because it stimulates the body to sleep. You must use light and simple paint colours on your room walls and, most importantly, use blackout curtains to block the outside light. If you don't have any, get these modern design SWAYAM Paisley Jacquard Blackout Curtains. They are available in cotton material with all over Paisley's design. It will help you blackout the room and, at the same time, make the room look beautiful. It is priced at Rs. 1,039/- on the Homecentre Homecentre website, which is a perfect deal.
- Quiet Room: Make sure your room has a quiet environment for a good quality sleep. In case your room is noisy because of road traffic or dogs barking, you can consider buying earplugs. You can try Simon's Sleepwell Earplugs. These reduce disturbing sounds and help you sleep well. The earplugs are available on Flipkart for Rs. 200/- and worth buying for a decent sleep in a noisy environment.
- Comfortable Mattress: Do you wonder why there's a difference in your sleep quality on your bedroom mattress and a hotel room mattress? A comfortable mattress aids good sleep. Firm or soft, that totally depends on you. An uncomfortable bed mattress can disrupt your sleep as it can lead to back and shoulder pain. You can consider buying a Dual Comfort Mattress. It is a premium and a durable product that feels medium-soft and medium-firm on the opposite sides. It is fairly priced on Wakefit's website for Rs.5,059, and you must buy one for your bedroom.
- Perfect Pillow: Do you ever wake up with a stiff neck? Well, if that's true, then you must check your pillow. Because there are various pillows with different fills to give comfortable support to your neck. When choosing a pillow, make sure that it's neither too flat nor fat. You can choose what's perfect for you. It could be a pillow with feather filling or the one with foam. If you are looking for options, you can buy this comfortable Memory Foam Pillow that gives your head and neck good support. Besides, it is an environment-friendly pillow as well, being made from non-toxic material. You can buy it from The White Willow for Rs.1,403.
Fixed Sleep Schedule
It is recommended for any adult to get a minimum of around 9 hours of sleep every day. And if you are aiming for that, you need to have a fixed sleep routine. You must stick to a particular wake-up time and sleep time regardless of what day it is. If you manage to do that continuously, after a few days, you won't need an alarm clock too. For good quality of sleep, a sleep tracker can help. You can buy HONOR band 5, which is compatible with all Android phones. The TruSleep app collects and analyses your sleeping data and helps you improve your bedtime. This gadget is priced at Rs. 2,199 on Amazon.
Exercise is an essential factor for improving sleep quality. It is backed by science that regular exercising during the day not only induces faster sleep but also helps people who are suffering from insomnia and anxiety. It is recommended not to exercise too late in the day as exercising increases alertness and adrenaline in the body, which can instead spoil your sleep. To exercise according to your convenience at home, you can purchase PowerMax Fitness TD-M1 2HP from Amazon for Rs 24,999. It has an LCD screen which shows time, speed, calories burnt, distance covered, and heart rate.
Add Healthy Food and Drinks to Your Diet
It is vital to keep a check on what you eat and drink for a good night's sleep. You must change your diet to a healthy one (if you don't have one already) and never go to bed hungry or too full. Besides, maintaining a minimum gap of three hours between your last meal and bedtime is another recommendation. You should also reduce your liquid intake 1-2 hours before bedtime. If you feel like munching on anything, consider buying Quinoa bars. They are gluten-free, rich in fibre and are a high protein diet option. They are also rich in magnesium and potassium, which boosts heart health. You can buy these online from Eat Anytime Store for Rs 669.
Or you can also get a pack of assorted healthy chips to keep by your side when you feel like munching on something light. You can buy the assorted chips canister (pack of 6) from Max Protein's website for Rs. 720.
Nap Early or No Naps at All
Naps don't work so well for all of us. Regular and short naps generally don't affect your sleep quality, but long ones harm your health. Naps can lead to disturbed sleep at night or even wakefulness. If you are napping during the day, keep it to 30 minutes maximum.
Are you one of those who generally take a nap on the office table? Then, you can buy this Vroxy U-Shaped Curved Memory Foam Sleeping Neck Cervical Pillow priced at Rs. 689 on Amazon. The unique hollow design of this pillow lets you take a nap without numbing your arms. The material is of high-quality, and it is apt for relaxing your mind and body.
Plan a Soothing Pre-Bed Routine
To improve your sleep quality, plan a soothing pre-bed routine. You can try what works well for you to listen to relaxing music, take a hot bath, de-stress yourself by meditating or deep breathing exercises. After a hectic day, it is vital to unwind your mind and calm yourself. You can lay down on your bed or a mat, close your eyes and inhale and exhale. You can buy this REEBOK Folded 6mm Yoga Mat online from Amazon for Rs. 4,599. This mat has laser-cut pores for comfortable breathability, and it includes a carry strap.
Increase Bright Light Exposure During the Day
Exposure to bright light during the daytime keeps the circadian rhythm of your body healthy. Circadian rhythm is a natural internal clock in our body that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. Bright light exposure for just a few hours can improve your sleep quality and help people suffering from insomnia. If you can't get sunlight, you can invest in a bright light device. You can buy a Portable white colour phototherapy Lamp for Rs. 3,841. This beautiful white colour lamp has a similar light to sunlight, and it helps to adjust with emotions and sleeping disorders.
Don't Consume Caffeine in the Evening
Caffeine increases your energy levels and can cause sleep deprivation if consumed at the wrong time. It is advisable not to drink caffeine after 3-4 PM to avoid poor quality sleep. Caffeine generally stays elevated in your body for up to 6 hours. And if you are sensitive to the stimulant, it can worsen your sleep if you are drinking coffee or any other caffeinated drink late in the evening. If at all you consume caffeine late in the evening, opt for decaf options. You can try this Nescafé Gold Decaf coffee available on Amazon for Rs. 670. It is one of the best-decaffeinated coffees you can indulge in.
Dim Your Lights
Dimming (or turning off) the lights before bedtime can help fall asleep faster. You must keep all your gadgets like cell phones, tablets away before going to bed as they emit blue light, suppressing the production of melatonin. Watching TV and being active on social media can also hamper your sleep quality. If you cannot resist using your devices late at night, buy these JM blue light blocking glasses. These glasses are priced at Rs. 600, come with a metal frame and anti-blue light lenses to protect your eyes from blue light. Thus, it is highly advisable to wear them while watching TV or using cellphones and laptops, particularly during evening or night.
Melatonin is a prevalent sleep aid that improves your sleep quality and boosts energy for the next day. You can have this supplement while travelling to cope up with the new time zones too. According to studies, 2 mg of melatonin before sleeping can help you sleep faster, and there are no withdrawal symptoms of this supplement. You can buy WOW Life Science Melatonin - 3mg - 60 Vegetarian Capsules. It is priced at Rs. 484, and its antioxidant property keeps away health-related issues as well. It will surely improve your sleep quality, but it is recommended to consult your doctor before taking any.
Avoid Daytime Naps
Sleeping through the day would make it much harder to sleep well at night. If a nap is completely required, for example, because of a late-night time, then restrict it to only thirty minutes. Be sure you've been up for at least four hours before you go back to bed.
If you're still having trouble sleeping, if you have frequent mood issues, restlessness in bed, extreme snoring or unrefreshed wake up amid the need for enough sleep, make sure you go to see the doctor.