Where to Get Inspiration & Ideas for Handmade Gifts
Take a Trip to Pinterest
If you are planning to make a gift for your husband, then opt for taking a tour of Pinterest. It has some amazing ideas and you might get a lot of inspiration to make a lot of things. There is a step by step tutorials which will help you get through your gift like a cakewalk.
It is okay if you are not an artist or do not know the craft. You can just try and make a simple card or present a love note in a unique way. Look for different ideas again on Pinterest. It will show you some simple and basic ways of making a gift.
Follow YouTube Tutorials
The other thing to do is follow YouTube tutorials. This social media platform has numerous videos and ideas. The best part is that some of the videos also show how to exactly make a particular thing. Thus, it gets clear and you can choose to make a particular item.
Take some time out and browse on enough videos before choosing a particular gift to make. You do not want to miss out on some different and nice item. Save the videos you like and then revisit them while making the gift for better instructions.
Read DIY Blogs
The best inspiration that you can seek for DIY gifts is to read blogs. A lot of bloggers are constantly creating new projects and posting it on their site. Plus, they have the supplies and method mentioned clearly. So, it is a good idea to refer to them. There are ample of blogs on the internet and it might get intimidating to look for the best ones. Thus, we have picked some for you.
- How to Geek
- Bob Vila
- Ana White
Do check these out and find some inspiration for your husband's birthday gift.
Classic Handmade Gifts To Make Your Husband's Birthday Super Special
Leather Trimmed Laptop Case
A good thing to make is a laptop sleeve for your husband. The complete steps are available on weallsew.com. She has explained it in a very simple way.
Leather trimmed laptop case
Things you will need
- 1/2 yard of colored canvas or duck cloth
- 1/2 yard of fabric for lining
- Two leather scraps, each- 6” x 11-1/2”
- One leather scrap, 1-1/2″ x 6″
- Two pieces of 1/4”-thick foam, each 11-1/2” x 15-1/2”
- One button with shank
- Heavy-duty thread
- Polyester all-purpose thread
- Leather needle
- Topstitch needle
- Rotary cutter and mat
- CD or other 4-3/4″-diameter circle
- Binding clips
- Cut the leather and canvas. Cut two rectangles from the canvas or duck cloth 11-1/2″ x 15-1/2″ each. Cut two rectangles from the lining fabric 11-1/2″ x 15-1/2″ each. Cut two rectangles from the leather 6″ x 11-1/2″ each and one 1-1/2″ x 6″ rectangle.
- Make the outside of the case. Using binding clips, clip the 6″ x 11-1/2″ piece of leather to the bottom of the right side of the 11-1/2″ x 15-1/2″ canvas or duck cloth rectangle. Stitch along the top of the 11 1/2” side of the leather 1/4” in from the edge of the leather. Repeat with the second 6″ x 11-1/2″ leather rectangle and 11-1/2″ x 15-1/2″ canvas/duck cloth rectangle.
- Using a CD as a guide, use a rotary cutter to round off the bottom two corners of both outside case pieces.
- Stitch around the outer edge of the 1-1/2″ x 6″ leather strip. Put the outside case pieces right sides together.
- Using a 1/2″-wide seam allowance, stitch the front and the back together.
- Continue stitching the whole case together. Turn it inside out.
- Continue in the same manner with the lining. Assemble the laptop case.
Another gift option to consider making is a magnetic wristband. You can check all the steps on hometalk.com. It is one of the best and simple ways to make a bracelet.
Magnetic Wrist band
- Take the small magnets and space them out. Use a painter's tape or epoxy to keep them in place.
- Then take a sturdy fabric of your choice, and take the double of your desired width.
- Attach the velcro on one side with the help of the sewing machine.
- Mark the placements for rivets as they will hold the magnetic place in place.
- Set the rivet accordingly.
Hand Printed Mouse Pad
You can also make a mouse pad for your husband if he happens to work on the computer a lot. The instructions have been taken from designsponge.com.
Things you will need
- One black coloured plain mouse pad. Make sure it is around 8 inches.
- Full sheet labels 8 1/2 by 11 inches
- A computer and printer
- Craft knife for cutting surfaces
- Acrylic paint and stencil brush
- Iron and wax paper
- Choose on of your desired designs and then get it printed on the label paper.
- Decide your colour palette, according to your design. Pain the first coat with the help of a stencil brush.
- Ust the craft knife to cut out the pieces of some of your designs.
- Peel the label layer at the back and then stick it on the mouse pad.
- Mix the top colour and then paint it.
- After the colour has dried, place the wax paper on the mouse pad and then iron it.
Your husband might be wearing neckties to the office or formal parties. So, it is a good idea to make him one. He will truly appreciate it. Decide the colour according to the available coats he has.
Things you will need
- 3/4 yard of the main fabric
- 1/4 yard muslin
- 1 yard lightweight interfacing
- 100 % cotton thread
- Cut out the front, back and middle pieces on the bias.
- Cut the 27-inch x 54-inch piece of the fabric in half length-wise to create two 27-inch squares.
- Take one of these squares and fold it in half diagonally.
- Pin the pattern piece down to the fabric matching the side of the pattern that says “fold” to the fold of the fabric. Cut out your piece.
- Afterwhich fold the fabrics and make a M.
- Cut the pieces in a proper fashion.
- Continue accordingly and then stitch it properly
Comic Book Coasters
The other fun thing to gift your man is something related to comic books. So, you can choose on making comic book coasters which he can use while watching a nice match and having a drink at home. Check the tutorial from modpodgerocksblog.com.
Things you will need
- Outdoor Mod Podge
- Comic books or printouts
- Electrical outlet covers
- E-6000 adhesive
- Spray paint
- Take white coasters and then cut out the comics according to the desired size.
- Stick it on the coasters.
- Spray the paint on the coasters and give it a coating.
- Coat it with the mod podge as well and then after it dries, rub it with a sandpaper.
- Glue the baskets on the back with adhesive.
Bake Him Chocolate Cookies
The most simple thing to do is bake him his favourite chocolate chip cookies. We have chosen a recipe from foodnetwork.in, but you can choose to modify it at your wish.
Things you will need
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- White sanding sugar
- Add sugar, butter and cream together and mix with a hand mixer. Add eggs and vanilla extract to the mixer.
- Afterwhich, mix coca powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Keep on mixing the ingredients.
- Roll the doughs in two big logs and then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After it is completely chilled, then cut the dough in rounds and cover with sanding sugar.
- Place it on the parachment paper and then bake it for 10 minutes.
- Then let it cool and voila you are done.
A Kiss in Your Pocket
A kiss in your pocket is a wonderful idea. It is not only romantic but is also very cute. We got this inspiration from colormekatie.blogspot.sg.
All you have to do is print a picture of you blowing the kiss. Enlarge the lips and draw hearts using a red marker on it. Then paste it on a cardboard after cutting the desired size. Sneak and place it in one of his pants' pockets. It will be a very cute surprise for him.
Besan Ke Ladoo
Birthdays are an occasion to eat something sweet and nice. So, giving him some besan ke laddoo with goodness is always a good idea.
- 1/4th cup plus 2tsp ghee
- 1 cup besan or chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup powder sugar or icing sugar
- 1/4th tsp cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 10 cashew nuts broken
- Heat the ghee in a thick non-stick pan. Once the ghee is melted, add the besan powder.
- Stir it continuously. Make sure the ghee and besan are combined well.
- Stir it for 20-25 minutes and make sure that the flame is on low. Break the lumps in between as well
- Keep stirring till the besan turns in to a golden colour and leaves its aroma.
- Turn off the gas after that and transfer the paste into a bowl. Allow the paste to cool completely.
- Then, add powdered sugar, cardamom powder or elaichi powder and broken cashew nuts. Combine the ingredients and mix it well.
- Take the mixture in a tablespoon and roll it into a ladoo. Garnish it with a cashew nut or almond. Voila! You are done.
- We recommend using a small glass jar to fill the ladoos and then add a bow on it. You can pack them in a sweet box as well.
Fusion of Tea
Know someone with a passion for tea? Why not put together a thoughtful selection of their favourite teas into a beautiful gift box. The receiver will be touched and amazed at your thoughtfulness. You can throw in a few handmade blends along with herb flavours as well as the more regular variety.
How to make a festive tea bag
- Things that are needed
- 1/2 cup loose black tea
- 1 tablespoon crushed cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons dried apple, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried orange peel, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon almond slices or slivers
- 1 dried vanilla bean, cut into small pieces
- 16 standard coffee filters
- baker’s twine
- stapler and staples
- Combine the ingredients like cinnamon, orange, apple, almonds and vanilla beans in a small bowl. Set them aside for a while.
- After that, flatten all the coffee filter properly and then fold them into the half. Crease them properly along the fold.
- Then fold them through the centre, creating four segments. Add the tea in it and then fold the tea bag from all the sides.
- You could fold the tea bag in the professional style or create any of your own. Secure the tea bag with a stapler pin on the top and add a string or baker's twine to it.
- Pack the tea bags in a gift box. You can also make a simple gift box from a cardboard and paste a note on it.
Your Handmade Gift Doesn't Have To Be Exquisite
Handmade gifts do not have to be exquisite. They can be simple and basic yet the person will see the effort put behind making it. It is the thought that counts and the love that makes a person feel special. So, do not stress if you are not a big artist.
Something simple like handmade chocolates also works. Just make sure that the gift is based on the preferences and choices of your husband. Do not make or cook something that you like but something that he adores. He will definitely appreciate it then.
Gifts Your Husband Something Which He Is Secretly Hoping For
It is a matter of great joy to celebrate a birthday with your partner and celebrate a perfect life together. In addition, the partner gets to see how much you love your partner. However, the choice of gifts is very important because it tells your partner what you wish to convey. Some gifts are high on price but might not be liked too much, while some other gifts might look small and insignificant, but will really gladden the heart of the receiver. Usually, husbands find brilliant ideas to gift the wife but it gets tough when you are a wife and planning to please your husband. They should make them happy and satisfied. Say your partner gifts candies and wine together, it could make you doubly happy.