Easy Nail Art for Beginners
Great Nails Don't Happen by Chance
Every woman would agree that getting nails done is therapy like none other. Not only does it make your hands look pretty and elegant but also brightens up your mood. Manicures are a great way to keep your nails healthy and shiny and so many women line up at salons to get the perfect nails for the occasion. However, you can get salon-like nails at home as well, and you don’t even need any specific skills for that! Here, you can find everything you need to know about taking care of your nails and keeping them pretty with a fabulous manicure.
5 Tips to Prep Your Nails and Keep Them Healthy
Before we talk about how you can achieve a salon-like manicure, let’s talk about how you can keep your nails healthy just by following some simple steps on a regular basis.
To keep your nails from getting chipped or warped, follow these 5 easy steps:
- Use a nail paint remover to clean your nails. A good remover will not only get rid of any previous nail polish or glitter etc but also moisturize your nails, keep them stronger and remove any dirt on the nails. One must wash hands using soap and water afterwards.
- Clipping the nails to keep them looking even is the next important step. You can file your nails into the desired shape. For thinner nails, try filing from slightly under the nails. Use a buffer to achieve a smoother surface.
- Use a cuticle remover to soften the area and remove any dead skin. Next use a cuticle oil to moisturize. The next step is to push back the cuticle with the help of a cuticle stick. These are also good for cleaning under the tip of the nails.
- Use an exfoliator to exfoliate your hands to get rid of dead skin. Wash and dry your hands.
- Use a hand cream or nourishing oil to moisturize your hands as well as hydrate the cuticles. With this your nail prep is complete and you can go ahead with your choice of nail paint or get artsy with some trendy nail art.
Nail Art Techniques
There are various ways to go about nail art.
This involves several techniques and below we have mentioned a few of these to give you an idea.
- The different types of paint brushes available such as flat, angled or dotting etc. can be used to paint patterns on the nails
- A sponge helps in achieving a gradient effect as well as other effects such as sprinkled.
- Using a nail stamp is another great technique to get an image or pattern onto the nail.
- A tape can be cut into small desired shapes and put on the nails with base colour painted on.
- When painted over with next colour and carefully removed, they reveal the design underneath.
- Stencils can be used as a base to be painted over in a manner quite similar to tapes.
- Decals and stickers are used extensively in nail art to bedazzle and embellish nails.
- One can use a fan brush or alternatively a toothbrush can be used to get a splatter effect on nails.
- When nail paints are dropped into water we get a pattern on the surface. These patterns when transferred onto nails result in beautiful nail art.
Trendy and Easy Nail Art Designs to Try - Step by Step Guide
This is the one style that is classy, an all-time favourite and very easy to achieve and goes well with both short and long nails. If you are new to nail art, we would recommend starting with this. Here are a few tips to get it right on your first try.
Before you start, make sure you have a rubber band, lacquer and white nail polish.
- Start by applying a coat of lacquer on your nails .
- The rubber band should be adjusted on the nails to get the desired width of the manicure and apply the white nail polish on the area near the tip of the nail .
- Next apply a coat of the lacquer again to seal it.
And you are done with the French manicure
You can get a fancy look with this nail art design which uses plastic wrap to produce crumpled texture on the nails.
You will need gold nail polish, a light blue nail polish, clear nail polish and a piece of plastic wrap.
- Apply two coats of gold nail polish on your nail and wait until it is dry
- Apply a coat of blue nail polish on top of this
- Quickly crumple a piece of plastic wrap and dab it on the nail, before the blue polish dries up
- The gold underneath will show up below the blue with a unique effect
- Seal it off with a coat of clear nail polish
Here is an amazingly cool nail art design that will make your nails look gorgeous.
You need a white, a light brown, a turquoise and a blue nail polish. You also need a sponge, a cup of water, nail polish remover, hairspray and some cotton balls.
- Clean and prep your nails
- On a small piece of sponge apply a layer of light brown nail polish on the top. Apply turquoise below it and blue below the turquoise.
- Dab the sponge over the nails to get the colours on the nails. Reapply the polish on the sponge if it gets dry
- Let the nails dry
- Put some drops of white nail polish in a cup of water and spray over it with acetone or hairspray. This will make the a spider web like pattern on the surface of water
- Dip in a finger to transfer the pattern onto the nail and repeat same for all the nails
- Carefully remove any smudges on the sides of the nail with nail polish remover
- Finish with a coat of clear nail polish
- You can now flaunt some cool beach waves on your nails
Criss-Cross with Tapes and Sponge
This nail art is super chic and easy to try just by using a sponge and striping tape.
You will need nail paints in purple, green and blue(turquoise) shades and striping tapes
- Apply a coat of turquoise blue nail polish
- Apply the striping tape diagonally to make a criss-cross pattern across the nails
- Apply Blue, Green and Purple nail polish on a sponge and dab it on top of the nails
- Once dry, remove the tapes to reveal the pattern underneath
- You can use glitter top coat nail polish for extra bling
Carry the stars on your nails for a cool galactic effect with this easy-to-do nail art.
You will need black, white, and some metallic shade of nail polish such as electric pink and royal blue and green, a toothpick, a piece of sponge cut into a small rectangle and a glitter topcoat nail paint.
- Apply a coat of black nail paint. Let it dry
- Reapply black nail paint and let it dry
- Spread some metallic green on a plate or any surface
- Dab a sponge into it and dab it onto the nails gently
- Do the same for all the other metallic shades and dab on the nails
- Dip a toothpick into white nail polish and make dots on your nails to give a starry effect. The dots can be of different sizes
- Finish with a top coat of glitter nail polish
- You are all set for a starry night out
A minimal design that gives off a classy look that you can easily replicate and confidently carry.
You will need white nail polish, striping tape (thin) and clear nail polish.
- Carefully place the thin strips of tape on your nails to create three downward V shapes on each nail
- Apply white nail polish on your nails ensuring that the area between the V's is filled. You may use a thin brush to do so
- Removes the strips while the paint is still wet
- Seal with a top coat of clear nail polish
Newspaper Nail Art
Here is how you can get this newspaper nail look and flaunt this creative nail art design.
You will need a white or grey nail polish, pieces of newspaper, acetone and a clear nail polish
- Apply the base coat on your nails. You can use a white or grey shade
- Cut a piece of newspaper that you want on your nails and put it on top of your nail
- Take some acetone on a cotton ball and rub on top of the newspaper for a few seconds. This will transfer the newspaper onto the nail!
- Now you can apply a coat of clear nail polish and you have some pretty cool newspaper nails
Stencil Heart Art
An elegant look in black, perfect for evenings. All you need for this look is a heart cut out on a sturdy base such as cardboard and glossy black nail polish as well as clear nail paint.
- Place your heart cut out on the nail (ring finger only) and paint within it with black nail polish. Top it off with clear nail polish
- Paint all other nails black
There you have a simple but classy heart nail art.
Must Haves in Your Nail Art Toolkit
If you have read so far, you are a definitely a nail art enthusiast and we have curated a list of products that you must have in your nail art toolkit.
A good manicure kit is a must. This Kit by Beauté Secrets is both pocket-friendly and high quality and corrosion-free. It comes in a leather case that makes it easy to carry around. There is a set of 12 tools that will help not just with a manicure but pedicure and facial care as well. A good buy for Rs. 427 for beginners.
Nail Paint Remover
Needless to say, no nail art toolkit can be complete without a Nail Art Remover. Try this dip and twist remover by Swiss Beauty which is easy to use and instantly removes the nail polish. It is acetone-free and softens the cuticles too. You can buy it for Rs. 99.
Nail Art brushes and Striping Tape
To get those flawless nail art designs one must have the right tools too. This fabulous Kit by Daluci consists of almost everything you need. It contains 15 pieces of nail art design brush set, 5 pieces of nail art 2-way drawing dotting painting pen,10 pieces of assorted colours of nail striping tape. This set is definitely worth Rs 299.
Nude Nail Polish
This set of 3 nude nail shades are a must-buy. Dusty Coral, Sunkissed & Camel shades that are long-lasting and highly glossy. The Bottles have a flexible brush for easy and precise application. Grab your set now for Rs. 180
Matt Nail Polish
Get this set of highly pigmented Matt Nail Polish in 4 bold and unique colours. 9.9 ml bottles of Red, Light Peach, Wine, Pink shades that you can buy for Rs. 388.
Glitters, Sequins and Beads
Add bling to your nails with this Kit that contains assorted colours of glitter, rhinestones, beads and sequins packaged in 48 tiny glass bottles all for Rs. 499
Nail Stamping Kit
This Kit contains 6 Stamping Image Plates, 1 Clear Jelly Stamper, 1 Plastic Card Scraper, 6 Sheets Nail Art Tip Guide Stickers, 10 Rolls nail Striping Tape. The high-quality stamping plate and stamper are also extremely easy to use and highly recommended for beginners. You can get it for Rs. 799
Artificial Nails Set and Glue
This Set consists of 100 pieces of artificial nails in 10 different sizes with 10 nails of each size and also contains 3gms of artificial nail glue. Made of high-quality ABS material, the nails are easy to put on and remove and look natural. You can buy this set for Rs. 245
It is essential to take care of your hands. Manicured hands help to showcase your personality and creates a good impression. Hope the next time you want to have a manicure, you will have a lot of new trendy options to decorate your beautiful hands and to pamper yourself with! Comment if you have any queries regarding the application or anything.