Top Reasons to Drink Rum
If you like to drink alcohol you will agree that Rum with its smooth texture and unique sweet taste is one of the best alcoholic beverages you can find especially in the winters. Rum has been one of the favourites since the 17th century not only for its taste but other medicinal properties. Here are some reasons for which you can start drinking Rum if you haven't tried it yet.
- Rum has many medicinal properties, if taken in moderation it helps to relieve stress and also stabilizes your blood pressure levels. It also works as an energy booster and brings you back in the mood instantly.
- Rum does not have any carbohydrates and fat in it as it is a fermented drink made by sugarcane juice or molasses. It is said drinking Rum with lime water can help get rid of scurvy issues.
- When taken in moderation it works wonders for your heart. It can keep your heart strong and healthy for a long time by decreasing cholesterol levels and also works as a blood thinner which is good for the arteries.
- You can start drinking Rum if you have Diabetes. Taking a tablespoon of Rum every day and lower your blood sugar immensely
- It also relieves muscle pain as it increases bone minerals which helps in fighting muscle pain, osteoporosis and reduces arthritis pain as well.
- If you suffer from cramps in legs you can drink Rum in moderation.
- With all the other benefits Rum also has nutritional benefits too. A hundred grams of Rum gives you 230 calories of energy which is equal to a regular pizza. It has been seen that people who drink Rum have an increased lifespan by a couple of years in comparison to people who do not drink Rum at all.
Things to Mix with Rum to Make It Taste Better
Rum has its own unique taste but you can mix it with many other things to make it taste even better. Here are a few things you can use and see which one you like the best.
- Pineapple Juice: If you are into drinking great-tasting beverages and don't too many things to try, just mix Rum with pineapple juice and you'll create one of the best tropical-tinged drinks on Earth. Pineapple juice and Rum make a deadly delicious cocktail.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water tastes amazing and when mixed with fresh coconut water you'll create a wonderful cooling drink in the summers. If you can't find fresh coconut water you can even mix those bottled coconut water, it will still taste perfect. The drink will be super hydrating and packed with potassium, so go ahead and try it and chill out during summers with this excellent mix.
- Hot Chocolate: Tried of the winter chills, mix Rum with rich hot chocolate; add hot cocoa mix one and half or two ounces of Rum and you'll have a fancy mix to relax at the end of the day.
- Club soda: Another great mix is Rum and plain soda you can squeeze a lime in it and make a delicious cocktail. It will keep you refreshed and chilled during summers.
- Ginger Beer: If you like ginger beer you'll like the mix of Rum and ginger beer more. Add some lime in it and you'll have a classy cocktail.
- Fruit punch: Try mixing your Rum with some fruit punch the next time you throw a party. It will remind you of those college party nights. The great sweet taste of fruit and the smooth texture of Rum make it heavenly.
- Ice Cream: You can also mix ice cream with Rum once in a while, it makes a delicious combo. Just add ice-cream to your rum and run it in a blender, add some ice cubes and drink this tasty treat with your friends by the poolside.
- Tonic water: Try mixing tonic water with a well-aged Rum. Take one part Rum with 4 parts of tonic water. Shake it well and squeeze some lime in it. It is a great refreshing summer drink to keep you hydrated and energized.
- Ginger ale and dry ginger: Mixing Rum with ginger ale and dry ginger make a simple but delicious cocktail. Take one part Rum and add 3 parts of ginger ale. Fill the glass with ice cubes and you are all set to enjoy it while you watch your favourite movies.
- Orange juice: Take some dark Rum and mix it with OJ. One part Rum with 2.5 parts of OJ will do the trick.
Great Cocktails with Rum
If you want to try making a cocktail with Rum the Daiquiri is the first one you should learn. It is an easy mix and tastes great. The Daiquiri is sublime and the sweet taste of Rum with sugar and lime makes it a great mix. You need to find the highest quality of Rum and make sure to follow the instructions carefully. If the drink is not balanced properly you'll end up with a liquid candy or too much lime and turn it into a pool of acidity.
- 2 ounces light rum
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce demerara sugar syrup
- Garnish: lime twist
- Take all the ingredients properly measured with some ice and throw it in a shaker.
- Shake well
- Pour it in a chilled coupe and garnish with a lime twist.
If you drink Rum or even if you don't you must have heard the name Mojito. It is a great refreshing cocktail that can be made easily. It is a simple drink from Cuba and is one of the most popular cocktails which can be found everywhere. A light Rum makes a great Mojito. You can adjust club soda and sugar as per your taste. All you need in the ingredients of course and a muddler with a stirring spoon and can make this drink in a couple of minutes.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 to 8 fresh mint leaves
- 2–3 ounces club soda (divided; to taste)
- 2 ounces light rum
- 1 lime (cut into 4 wedges)
- Garnish: mint sprig
- Collect all the ingredients and keep them in front of you.
- Mix sugar, mint leaves and club soda in a highball glass
- Squeeze lime juice in the glass and add two wedges of it in the glass
- Now, add the Rum and stir 5.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Add club soda and garnish with a mint sprig and you are all set to enjoy this classic cocktail.
The name sounds weird but then again, "what's in a name?". The monkey business is another great cocktail you can whip up in no time. It tastes great and is very refreshing. You have got to try it at least once.
- 1.5 oz Banks Rum
- .75 oz lime juice
- .5 oz Velvet Falernum
- .5 oz Giffard Banana Liqueur
- .25 oz simple syrup
- Throw all the ingredients in a shaker, top it with a whole lot of ice and shake, shake, shake.
- Pour it in a coupe and garnish it with lime and you have the monkey business ready
Boozy Dole Whip
Another great cocktail is the Boozy Dole Whip. It is one of the classy drinks you can make right at home with ease. You will have to try it to fall in love with it. Here is how you can make it and enjoy its sweet taste.
- 5 c. frozen pineapple
- 3/4 c. coconut milk
- 1/2 c. coconut rum
- 1/4 c. sweetened condensed milk
- Pineapple slices, for garnish
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Take the frozen pineapple, coconut milk, rum and sweetened condensed milk and run them in a blender.
- Take the mixer and pour it in a ziplock bag.
- Cut off the corner of the bag with a scissor..
- Pipe it into a glass and garnish it with pineapple and maraschino cherry.
- Serve it and watch your friends gulp it in a second.
Here comes one of the most popular cocktails of all time, the Pina Colada. It is a national drink of Puerto Rico since 1978. Pina Colada is a sweet cocktail served with ice and it tastes heavenly. Whip it up in no time and enjoy its great smooth taste.
- 1 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple, frozen
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces Coco Lopez coconut cream
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce dark rum
- Pineapple slices
- Take the ice, frozen pineapple, juice, coconut cream and white and dark rum
- Run it in a blender until it becomes smooth and frosty.
- Pour it in a glass and garnish with pineapple slices.
Dark ‘N’ Stormy
If you are looking for a drink that will keep you energized in hot summers then you should learn to make the Dark N Stormy cocktail for sure. It was invented in the Caribbean waters for the sailors. Although lime is optional a little lime can spike up this drink just remember not to substitute ginger bear with ginger ale.
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 3 oz. ginger beer
- 1/2 oz. lime juice (optional)
- Start with filling up the glass with lots of ice cubes and rum
- Add ginger beer and lime juice in it
- Stir it up and garnish with a lime wedge and you are all set with the great Dark N Stormy cocktail
Hot Buttered Rum
Rum is one alcoholic beverage that works great in summers as well as winters. The Hot buttered Rum cocktail is a great drink to make during the winter season as it keeps you warm, it is like sipping on hot tea and soothing your soul. It is a traditional drink during winters in the USA and goes back to colonial days. Here is how you can make it in India and enjoy it to the fullest during the cold waves.
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 2 sugar cubes
- 1 pat unsalted butter
- Take the sugar cubes and dissolve them in a little hot water.
- Pour it in a mug
- Add Rum and butter to it and fill it up with hot water
- Add nutmeg on top and enjoy
The Hurricane cocktail is a nice and sweet drink which is quite popular in New Orleans since 1940s. It is loaded with Rum and is a great drink to serve during parties. Here is how you can make it for your guests and have fun.
- 50ml dark rum
- 50ml white rum
- 1 passion fruit
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon juiced
- 50ml sugar syrup
- 2 tsp grenadine
- 4 cocktail cherries
- 2 orange slices
- Take some ice and put it in a cocktail shaker
- Add Rum to it
- Take the flesh and seeds from the passion fruit and put it in the shaker
- Add orange and lemon juices to it with the sugar syrup and grenadine
- Shake well till the shaker gets icy cold
- Take two hurricane glasses and fill them up with ice and strain the drink into it
- Garnish the glasses with an orange slice and cocktail cherries.
Easy Rum Eggnog
Winter season is incomplete without some Eggnog. It originated in medieval England and is very popular in America. You will be surprised to know that George Washington had his own favourite eggnog recipe. Eggnog is a satisfying holiday cocktail and is quite easy to make. It has a great flavour and a smooth creamy texture to it although it does not have any cream in it; the shaking of eggs gives it a great frothy and creamy texture. Here is how to make it.
- 1 1/2 ounces añejo rum
- 1 1/2 ounces ruby port
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 large egg Garnish: nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
- Take a cocktail shaker and put Rum, ruby port, simple syrup and egg in it.
- Shake it vigorously without ice
- Now add ice to it and shake again
- Pour it in a wine glass and dust it with nutmeg
Pairing Rum with Food
The key to pairing rum with food is to think about the cocktails that are made from it rather than the base spirit. With the exception of dark sipping rums (which are delicious with chocolate), that’s generally the way they’re served. It also pays to remember that the drinks that are made from rum, like rum punch and pina colada, are sweet and can handle a fair bit of spice.