Importance of Bhai Dooj
India is a land of festivals, there are festivals for each occasion and one of the important festivals in Hindu religion is Bhai Dooj which is also known as Bhau Bheej or Bhai Phota. It is celebrated on the second day after the new moon or Shukla Paksha in the Hindu lunar month of Kartik. The festive season in India begins with the grand celebration of Diwali and ends with this special event called Bhai Dooj. Bhai Dooj is celebrated between brothers and sisters but there are two popular legends that go with it. It is said that Lord Krishna killed Narakasur and visited his sister Subhadra. She met Lord Krishna and put vermilion tilak on his forehead and performed aarti to show her love. The second legend is that Yamraj who is the God of death went to see his sister Yamuna and she also greeted him by putting the same tilak. Yamraj then gave her a boon that any brother who celebrates Bhai Dooj with his sister and takes a bath in the river Yamuna will never go to hell.
Bhai Dooj is celebrated around India with great zeal and spirit. Sisters invite their brothers and prepare a delicious with a variety of sweets for them. The sister then decorates a seat for her brother and completes the ritual of applying a tilak and performing aarti. In return the brother promises his sister to protect her and take care of her all through his life. The sister also prays for her brother's long life and happiness on this day. To complete the occasion the brothers traditionally give small gifts to their sisters as a token of love and appreciation.
Unique Ways of Celebrating Bhai Dooj This Year
Other than the traditional way of celebrating Bhai Dooj, you can do a lot of other things together as a brother and a sister. Here are some unique ways through which you can make Bhai Dooj memorable this year:
- Many of you are busy with your lives and work and are not able to take much time out for your family members or siblings. Bhai Dooj can be a great way to take some time out of work and spend it with your sister. You can easily plan a great get-together with your sister and cousins. It could be a picnic, or a movie or a trip to the mall with great food and a fun selfie session. It will be a time to remember for all of you for many years.
- Another great thing to do right after the traditional Bhai Dooj rituals is to surprise your sister with a road trip. You must have had many road trips with your parents but going to a fun place with just your sister can be a great adventure. Driving to her favourite place and singing her favourite songs with her will definitely make her a happy sister. It will create a special bond between both of you.
- Gifts are great, everyone loves to receive gifts and if you can get her that one thing she always wanted on Bhai Dooj she will be thrilled. It could be as small as a cake from her favourite bakery or as big as a car!
10 Beautiful Quotes for Sisters on Bhai Dooj
Bhai Dooj celebration time is here again, making it the best time for every brother and sister to come together and celebrate their bond of love and affection. Bhai Dooj is the auspicious day when brothers and sisters meet to strengthen and revive their bond of love with care and affection. In fact it's the day for brothers and sisters to make each other feel loved and special. Here are some beautiful quotes on Bhai Dooj, send them to your sister and show her how much you love her:
- "You have been my second mother all my life, your smile has always brightened my days. I want to tell you I will always be by your side no matter what, today and forever".
- "Life is a game of gaining and losing but you will never lose me. I will always be with you. Happy Bhai Dooj my sweet sister".
- "This Bhai Dooj I want to remind you of the wonderful times we spent together, the joys and sorrows we faced together. Thank you for being there for me whenever I needed your love and support. Happy Bhai Dooj to my loving sister".
- "I have many gems in my treasure but you are the one and only one most precious and close to my heart. Wishing you the very best on Bhai Dooj".
- "I thank God each day for making you my sister. Happy Bhaiya Dooj, darling sis".
- "Behind every successful man there is a woman and behind every happy brother there is a sister like you. Thank you for being my sister".
- "Wishing you the very best Bhai Dooj and praying for your happiness as always. May God bless you with all his blessings, love from your brother on Bhai Dooj".
- "When I was down, you gave me inspiration, when I was sad, you made me smile, when I was hungry, you cooked great meals for me and the list goes on. Thank you for loving me so much. Wishing we were together this Bhai Dooj".
- "My sister, my friend and my secret keeper, you make me complete. I want you to be my sister in the next life too. Love you always my sweet sister".
- "Wishing our bond will become deeper and stronger as we grow older. Loved each moment spent with you. Happy Bhai Dooj, my kid sister"
10 Gifts for Your Sister on Bhai Dooj
Here are some ideas of small gifts you can get for your sister this Bhai Dooj to show how much she means to you:
Syngonium Wendlandii for Best Sister
If your sister loves nature and loves to decorate the house with plants then buying her an indoor plant can be a great idea. A plant instantly brings joy to a room. It will give her a chance to take care of it and watch it grow year after year and think of you each time she looks at it.
Buy her this Syngonium Wendlandii planted in a pot that says "World's Best Sister". It is a beautiful plant which can be kept indoors or outdoors. It has large dark green leaves with a beautiful white stripe in the middle. It is also called an Arrow Head Plant due to its arrow shaped leaves and it is a native of South America. She will love this gift from you. You can buy this plant for ₹ 399.00 from Ferns N Petals.
Amrapali Bird Designed Jhumka
No girl can say no to jewellery. One of the best ornaments you can give as a gift to your sister is the Amrapali Bird Designed Jhumka. It is a beautiful jhumka with a traditional touch and a modern design. The jhumka has a bird and an array of white pearls along it. It can be worn by women of any age and will look great on any traditional outfit be it a saree, salwar kurta or lehenga. She will be one happy sister to get this beautiful set of jhumka as a gift on Bhai Dooj from you. You can buy it for ₹ 560.00 from igp.com.
Soft Pink Notch Bridge Sunglasses
So, your sister loves to be trendy and wants to stay hip. She loves everything new that fashion has to offer. You can get her a dress but you might not be sure of what kind and colour she would like the best then go for these sunglasses. They are always in style and you don't need to worry about the style and size. The soft pink notch bridge sunglasses can be a great gift for your sister. She will love to flaunt them among her friends and boast about your gift. They come with a light pink frame and two golden bridges which makes them look classy. You can buy these for just ₹ 300.00 from Archies.
Coffee Luvs Company
Another great gift for your sister can be a coffee cup. A coffee cup is always one of the best gifts because they come in so many varieties and sizes that it is easy to find the best one for a person. Your sister will love this special cup which says "#1 Sister". The cup is in white and pink colour and it is microwave and dishwasher safe. She can use it to drink coffee or simply put it on her study or work table to remind her of your love and thoughtfulness. You can easily buy it for ₹ 259.00 from Ferns N Petals.
Personalised Photo Box
Are you tired of watching your sister's dressing table turn into a clutter with the millions of knick-knacks and small jewellery pieces she owns? Bhai Dooj can be a perfect occasion to gift her a personalised photo box which she can use to organise her little treasure. Simply choose a picture of you with your sister and have it embossed on the box, wrap it with a beautiful wrapping paper and hand it to her after she is finished with the rituals. She will love to have it on her table and will smile each time she opens it. You can buy it from Flower Aura for ₹ 799.00.
Estee Lauder Beautiful EDP 75 ml
Women loves perfumes and one of the best perfumes in the market is the Estee Lauder Beautiful EDP. The fragrance of this perfume is exquisite; it is just perfect and is fresh and original. The perfume is made from sweet smelling flowers like rose, lilies, orange flowers, etc. and is perfect for everyday use. She can wear it to her college or work every day. The cost for a 75 ml bottle of the perfume is ₹ 7,150.00 and you can buy it from Winni.
Pink Dial Rose Gold Stainless Steel Strap Watch
If you wish to make this Bhai Dooj memorable for your sister you can get her something she will cherish for life. Women love accessories and there are never enough. Buying your beloved sister this Pink Dial Rose Gold Stainless Steel Watch can be a great gift. What makes it a perfect watch is that it can be worn on any occasion and with any dress she likes. The watch suits casual, sporty or formal events. It comes with a 24 month warranty on the movement and a 12 month warranty on the battery. Your sister will love to show it off to her friends the next day. Buy it from Titan for ₹ 3,995.00 and make her day.
Baggit Colourblock Satchel with Sling Strap
If you are confused on what to get for your sister on Bhai Dooj, go for a bag. Girls love bags and they use it every day. They have like a hundred things they can put in it when they go out. This Colourblock Satchel with Sling Strap Bag from Baggit is the best bag for a stylish sister. It has one main compartment with a fold-over flap; it also has a magnetic snap button closure to secure her belongings in it. Watch your sister beam when she receives this wonderful gift from you after she is done with her rituals on Bhai Dooj. You can buy it for ₹ 600.00 from Ajio.
Skin Care Hamper
Beauty products are always a hit with women and girls of all ages. Buying her something to do with a beauty product will surely make your sister happy. You can buy her this great skin care hamper from VLCC. VLCC is a well-known brand and comes with great products which lets you take care of your skin. She will be a happy person when she opens this gift hamper as she will get a Lotus Safe Sun Anti Tan Scrub, a VLCC Turmeric and Berberis Face Wash, a Biotique Bio Basil and Parsley Revitalising Body Soap, a Lotus White Glow 3-in-1 Deep Cleansing Facial Foam and a ball candle. You can buy this gift hamper for your sister for ₹ 1,899.00 from giftcart.com.
Redmi Note 8 (Neptune Blue, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB Storage)
If you want to make her day then buy her something she will use and love each day of her life. The best bet is to get her a mobile phone. There are many phones in the market but one of the best ones is the Redmi Note 8. The phone comes with a 48 MP AI Quad camera with portrait, ultra-wide lens, macro lens, LED flash. It has a 13 MP front camera with AI portrait mode for taking the best selfies. It also has 6 GB RAM with 128 GB internal memory expandable up to 512 GB. The 4000 mAH lithium-polymer battery provides talk-time of 32 hours and a standby time of 540 hours. It comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty for the device and a 6 month manufacturer warranty for the inbox accessories which includes the battery as well. She will start to jump up and down as soon as she tears the wrapping paper from the gift. You can buy it for ₹ 14,499.00 from Amazon.
Strengthen Your Brother-Sister Bond This Bhai Dooj
Even though most of your time is spent in your work and other responsibilities, it is important to sometimes take some time out for your sister and make her feel special. Bhai Dooj is one such perfect occasion for you to spend sometime with your sister and strengthen your relationship with her. We hope you would have loved this BP Guide. Stay connected with us for more such engaging content.