What is an Ergonomic Pillow
A good night’s sleep is crucial for fresh mornings and productive days. If you have ever woken to a painful neck or a swollen back in the morning, then don’t just blame your sleeping position or mattress, chances are that your bad-shaped pillow is the real culprit. Ordinary pillows aren't suitable for everyone as different people have different sleeping positions, and styles. While some would prefer sleeping on their back, there are others who like to sleep on their side. Few people even prefer to lie down on their stomachs, though it’s not a good thing to do and can cause various health problems.
Many of us like and use big, fluffy pillows while sleeping but they may or may not be suitable for your sleeping posture and head position. Then you have the flat pillow people who would like a really lean pillow below their head during the sleep hours and few decide to sleep without a pillow!
Keeping in mind all these factors, how about a pillow that can adapt to the sleeper’s natural position when they’re asleep? An ergonomic pillow exactly does that as these specially designed pillows support and promote the right sleeping posture. Even when you’re awake and simply resting on an ergonomic pillow, it maintains the right posture. While you’re reading a book or playing a game on your mobile lying on a pillow, an ergonomic pillow protects you from back and neck pain problems. A good ergonomic pillow will support your head, neck, and back by ensuring they are in a natural position so that no unnecessary pressure is exerted on them which may lead to strain in the muscles.
Why Should You Invest in Ergonomic Pillows
Ergonomic Pillow supports your neck and back as the shape of the pillow aligns well with the pressure points to keep you in perfect alignment all night long. Let’s check a few more benefits that are related to using an ergonomic pillow.
- Neck Support and Alignment – An ergonomic memory foam pillow has two raised ends with a dip in between forming a distinct curve. This curved design supports the natural shape of the neck and head for back sleepers and side sleepers. The shape of the human head and neck are not similar. While the head is bigger in circumference than the neck, the neck is thin and soft as compared to the head. Therefore, your head should rest in the little dip while the neck should rest on the raised part to be in proper contour with the pillow.
- Cervical Spinal Contouring – Cervical spine is the place where the upper back connects with the neck through seven bone segments known as vertebras. The spinal cord also lies at this place and it’s imperative to keep the natural curve of the back well aligned while sleeping. A well-designed ergonomic pillow would leave no gap between your neck and the pillow. For example, a fluffy feather pillow may be comfy and soft to hug and squeeze, but it’s not designed to provide the best support for your neck and head. A pillow that keeps your neck slightly elevated would keep your spine straight while sleeping.
- Improved Blood Circulation to the Muscles – An ergonomic pillow should be balanced on the scale of firmness. Too soft wouldn’t provide proper support to your neck and a very hard pillow can restrict the blood circulation to the rest of your body. A soft memory foam ergonomic pillow has perfect elasticity and won’t constrict the blood vessels around your neck.
- Less Turning During Sleep – An ergonomic pillow is more stable than an ordinary pillow and it lets you relax during sleep by supporting your neck and head. This means a deep sleep and less tossing and turning around during your sleeping hours.
- It Adapts to Your Sleeping Style – To create a customized sleeping pillow for different persons can be a daunting task, but an ergonomic pillow with memory foam adjusts itself according to the curve of your head and neck. Few pillows with adjustable height pads are also available that can be used for increasing the height of the pillow for people with bigger and broader frames.
- Useful in Headaches and Migraine Problem – People who regularly complain of a headache just after they wake up, should switch to an ergonomic pillow because the poor alignment of the neck and head are often responsible for cerebral-related problems.
Different Types of Ergonomic Pillows
Ergonomic pillows are meant for comfort and correct posture while sleeping or relaxing. Based on the varied needs of different persons, there have been modifications and changes in an ergonomic pillow that resulted in various types of ergonomic pillows as mentioned below.
- Cervical Pillow – An ergonomic pillow meant to contour with the neck, head, and shoulders; useful in problems like snoring, sleep apnoea, stiff neck, frozen shoulder, and headaches, etc.
- Neck Pillow – Also known as a travel pillow, it’s shaped like a horseshoe and often used by travellers.
- Lumbar pillow – Half-moon shaped pillow, used at the lower back, as neck support, and sometimes underneath knees to provide elevation and comfort.
- Wedge Pillow – True to its name, a wedge-shaped pillow that is multipurpose and can be used in an upright or downright position.
Few other pillows include Knee Pillow, Body Pillow, Spinal Support Pillow, and Buckwheat Pillow.
How to Choose the Right Ergonomic Pillow!
The most essential points you should consider while choosing an ergonomic pillow are – sleep position, budget, support, physical ailments (if any), ease of cleaning, and material.
Ergonomic Pillow for Back Sleepers
MARNUR Contour Memory Foam Pillow
This ergonomic pillow is made of memory foam and is specially designed for people having difficulty in sleeping due to neck and shoulder pain, thus can be termed as an Orthopedic pillow. The memory foam is skin-friendly; the inner cover is made from a breathable material and comes with a removable zippered pillowcase that is easily washable. The size of the neck pillow is 64.5 cm x 37 cm x 14 cm and can be used by back sleepers, side sleepers, and even stomach sleepers. The RoHS certified memory foam pillow by Marnur is imported from the UK and available for Rs. 11,279 on desertcart.in.
Cooling Gel Memory Foam Cervical Pillow-Contour-Medium Firm
The White Willow is a well-known name in the pillow and mattress segment and this ergonomic pillow from their house is made of adaptive memory foam that adjusts according to your body shape and provides comfort by relieving pressure joints. The gel-infused memory foam dissipates heat, maintains temperature around the neck, and provides a cooler comfort. A premium quality bamboo cover is provided that is eco-friendly and washable. You can choose to relax on the curved side or the flat side to suit your sleeping style and to maintain the perfect spinal alignment. Available in five different sizes and three different colours, the ergonomic pillow comes with 101 nights free trial and a 1-year warranty. You can choose a specific size and colour, and order from thewhitewillow.in.
IKEA - MJÖLKKLOCKA Ergonomic pillow
MJÖLKKLOCKA Ergonomic pillow is a dual-purpose pillow that can be used by side sleepers as well as back sleepers. It’s designed in a way that with the larger side facing up, it reduces pressure on your shoulder by providing adequate support to your head and neck thus useful for side sleepers while with the smaller side facing up, the back sleepers can rejoice as the slope provides support to the neck muscles. The memory foam has small pores for ventilation that wicks away moisture while the soft fabric cover is also made from breathable material. The size of the pillow is 16 inches x 5 inches x 28 inches, weighs 1.82 kg, and can be ordered from ikea.com for Rs. 2,990.
Tynor Contoured Cervical Pillow
The Contoured Cervical Pillow by Tynor is a soft and durable pillow that supports the correct cervical spine posture as its scientific design keeps your neck in a slight hyperextended position. This posture provides the right support to the neck and provides muscle relaxation. The ergonomic design remains with the natural curve between your head and the neck, therefore, promotes a balanced posture of the cervical spine. The curved side has two different heights on both ends, one for short-necked and the other for long. This universal-sized pillow can be ordered for Rs. 956 from amazon.in.
OBLIQ Cervical Memory Foam Pillow Double Neck Support
Cervical Memory Foam Pillow by OBLIQ has double-neck support that is ideal for tall as well as medium height persons. The contoured pillow is made from memory foam that provides comfort, relieves pain, and helpful in conditions like stiff neck pain, sleep shallow, snoring and headaches, etc. The breathable fabric is antibacterial, hypoallergenic, and dust-mite resistant. You can purchase this grey coloured OBLIQ Cervical Memory Foam Pillow with double neck support from flipkart.com for Rs. 999.
Ergonomic Pillow for Side Sleepers
Wamsutta Extra-Firm Side Sleeper Pillow
This standard queen-size extra-firm side sleeper pillow by Wamsutta is made of 100% cotton with polyester filling inside and has a thread count of 300. This extra-firm pillow is one of the best pillows available for side sleepers as the special design and the 2-inch gusset provides perfect support to your neck, shoulders, and head for the entire night. The size of this side sleeper pillow is 48 cm x 40.4 cm x 19 cm and weighs about 0.89 kg. This product is imported from the USA and available for Rs. 5,739 on desertcart.in.
Easy Life185 Soft Memory Foam Sleeping Pillow for Lower Back Pain
The soft memory foam of this sleeping pillow by Easylife185 is perfect for the side as well as the back sleepers as it provides the required lumbar support to your back and provides relief in sciatica, hip, and back pain. The ergonomic design perfectly fits between the gap of your waist and the bed thus keeps your spine, hip, and legs in perfect alignment. The lumbar support elevates your upper body thus keeps the acid levels down and also improves blood circulation. The inner material is made from memory foam that is anti-microbial and dust mite resistant. A breathable and easy-to-clean cover with a zipper keeps the pillow clean and safe. You can order the EasyLife185 Soft Memory Foam Sleeping Pillow from amazon.in.
Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover
This ergonomic pillow is made of premium quality shredded memory foam that is hypoallergenic and comes with a removable and washable cover made of breathable material made of polyester and viscose rayon derived from bamboo. These memory foam pillows are fully customizable and you can add or remove foam to adjust as per your height, spinal alignment, and comfort. Moreover, it is suitable for back, side, or stomach sleepers as the pillows can also be adjusted to be hard or soft. The measurement of a pillow is 76 cm x 50.8 cm x 20.3 cm, weighs approx 1.6 kg, and can be purchased from cart2india.com for Rs. 11,100.
Sleepyhead™ Soft Sleeping Pillow
Sleepyhead™ Soft Sleeping Pillow is a unique pillow that provides just the right amount of softness and support to your body while sleeping even if you stay in the bed all day long. The super-soft fabric has a breathable mesh, and the huggable microfibers won’t produce any strain on your neck due to long hours of sleep. This soft sleeping pillow can be ordered for Rs. 999 from mysleepyhead.com.
Tishnagi Designer 100% Cotton Long Side Sleeper for Use During Pregnancy
This 100% cotton long designer pillow is perfect for side sleepers, especially for pregnant women to sleep in the correct posture. The ultra-soft body pillow has soft microfiber filling and can be used as a side as well as a back pillow. Measurements are 18 cm x 54 cm, and can also be used as a support pillow while you’re relaxing, watching TV, or reading in bed. It’s a machine washable, hypoallergenic, and dust-mite resistant product that has a breathable fabric and is listed on amazon.com for Rs. 749.
You can stop counting sheep and start getting a better night’s sleep as soon as you choose one of these top choices for an ergonomic pillow. Buying online can be tricky, but it’s a necessity these days. That’s why we recommend reading online descriptions and reviews before pulling the trigger on a purchase. And, if a company has a good return policy, even better.
A better night’s sleep will make you not just well-rested but more productive throughout the day all over.