A Bit about the 'Dream City' Mumbai
Mumbai was once known as Bombay and is one of the most populated cities of Maharashtra as well as the biggest metropolis of the State. It is also known as the entertainment and financial capital thus people call it "the city of dreams". You will find people from all walks of life migrating to Mumbai in hopes of making big. There are struggling actors, Bollywood stars, scary gangsters and daily wage labourers who work day and night to survive in this big city. Mumbai is a diverse city and is loved by all. The city is filled with warm and friendly people who love to talk and help each other.
Mumbai got its name from the Goddess Kali. A European writer Gaspar Correis called Mumbai, Bombain in one of his books and the British later changed it to Bombay. By the second half of the 20th century, the people started calling it Mumbai and in 1995 the name Mumbai was confirmed.
Exciting Things to Do as a Couple in Mumbai
Mumbai is not only a place for people to work hard and earn their living, it is also a place for people who want to live their lives to the fullest. Some migrate to experience it and some visit it for a day or two. It is very popular among couples as there are millions of things a couple can do here and enjoy their stay, and collect memories to cherish for a lifetime. Here we have compiled a few things a couple can do when in Mumbai and enjoy life to the fullest.
Attend Live Stand-Up Events at Canvas Laugh Factory
Laughter is the best medicine and what can be better than sharing a good laugh with the one you love. Now you can do just that by attending these live stand-up events and Canvas Laugh Factory after a day full of sightseeing. You can book your ticket online in advance and enjoy it. If you are lucky you will get to listen to some of the best comedians like Kanan Gill and Amit Tandon who are known for their humour. The Laugh Factory is in Lower Parel, so don't think and book a ticket as soon as you can.
Escape Room in Mumbai
If you two love adventure and some adrenaline then going to the Escape room could be a great way of enjoying your evening. There are 5 themed sets from which you can choose the one you want to solve. Each mystery room demands capabilities of solving skills and a lot of patience. You get to go into a mystery room for an hour with a set of clues for you to unlock the room and escape. You could participate in it as a couple or as a group.
The charges for entering a room are Rs. 540 each person and the escape room is situated in Andheri West. You can choose the time that is between 11:30 a., to 9:30 p.m. This can be a fun night for a couple and you'll get to learn a lot about each other's capabilities as well during the game.
Yes, you read that right!, Ice skating in Mumbai. There are a number of malls like Atria, R-City, and Phoenix Market City that have Ice-Skating rinks. Most of us dream of doing this after watching Hollywood movies but little did we know that we could do it in Mumbai. This would be an out-of-the-world experience and will make you forget that you are in India. The best part is that you don't need to know how to ice skate, there are experts at each mall that will be there to teach you how to start and then what is the fun if you don't fall a couple of times and have your partner scoop you up with love. This would be an experience you will remember for a long time.
Bollywood Tour Mumbai
A visit to Mumbai is incomplete till you see Bollywood. Mumbai is known for the mesmerizing world of the film industry and you can now visit it. You get to see live shootings and learn how movies are made and trust us it is not as easy as it looks. You will get to see dance numbers and can even dance with them if you like. If you are lucky you might be able to meet your favourite stars and get pictures taken with them if they permit. This is a guided tour for 4 hours with light refreshments at the studio. You can choose a package of your liking with pickup and drop it from the hotel you are staying in and feel like a celebrity yourself. You can book a Package that starts with Rs. 2,999 per adult and choose to go there between 1 p.m.to 5 p.m.
Visit the famous Jehangir Art Gallery
Not all couples are into pubs and Bollywood packages; some go to Mumbai for a vacation to calm themselves. If you and your better half want to spend some time in a peaceful environment while you appreciate talent then you can visit the famous Jehangir Art Gallery. It is known to organize high-profile art and photography exhibitions that will take your breath away. You never know you might feel inspired to do some art of your own after a visit to the Gallery. The Jehangir Art Gallery is in Kala Ghoda and is open from 11 a.m to 7 p.m every day.
Segway & Pogo Stick Tours, Thane
In love with adventure and trying out new things? Then you need to take this Segway & Pogo stick tour with your better half. This is a fun-filled and offbeat activity that you both will enjoy. You can zoom around on a Segway together and have a blast. This tour is offered at Thane and you will see many young couples enjoying there, who knows you might make some good friends while you are at it.
Romantic Things You Can do As a Couple in Mumbai
Enough of adventure let us talk about some romance. If you and your loved one is looking for a romantic time in Mumbai then we have some great recommendations for you.
Marine Drive: Take a Stroll
You better not miss a nice romantic stroll at Marine Drive which is about 3.6 kilometres long. It is located by the side of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Road in the South of Mumbai. This is one of those places where you'll see tons of couples of all ages walking hand in hand and enjoying their evening. A light breeze and beautiful lights will keep your mood uplifted plus a cup of coffee will make it even better. This can be a soothing way of distressing yourself after a day of roaming around Mumbai. You can visit Marine Drive any time of the day but the best time is late in the evening.
Watch DDLJ in Maratha Mandir
If you are an Indian then you must know DDLJ, yes the all-time super hit movie with the handsome King Khan and beautiful Kajol. This movie made a mark in the history of Bollywood in 1995 and is still running in Maratha Mandir for the old-school romantics. 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' is the epitome of romantic movies and you've got to watch it to feel the love shown between the duo plus you will get to share a lot of old memories with each other when you watched it in 1995.
Visit Chota Kashmir
You don't need to go to Kashmir to enjoy its beauty. You can visit Chhota Kashmir in Goregaon. This is a beautiful green place in the Aarey Milk Colony. The place is surrounded by green and lush trees and has a lake where you two can do some boating as well. You can sit together or walk hand in hand for hours and enjoy the peaceful environment, you might be able to steal a kiss or two with your loved one here and remember it for a long time.
Dome, Intercontinental, Church Gate: Dine in with a View
This is again a beautiful place to visit with your better half if you are on a romantic trip. It is situated near Marine Drive and you can view the Arabian Sea from the Dome. The ambiance is the best you can find for couples in love and the cool sea breeze with the view of the setting sun will take your breath away for sure. It is a little expensive to visit it but it is worth each penny. You may have to pay Rs. 14,000 for a visit there and the timings are from 5 pm to 1:30 am.
Candle Light Dinner Cruise
A candlelight dinner is the best way to end a day with your love is done and when you get to do it on a cruise it gets better. This is a luxury dinner cruise on a yacht that has 2 BHK pantries on the lower deck but the upper deck is where you see all the romance. Once you board the yacht you are treated with luxury and get exotic varieties of wine and champagne. The cruise is for two hours but will give you a memory for a lifetime. You'll have to pay Rs. 12,500 per person and the cruise starts from Colaba between 6 pm to 8 pm.
Things You Should Know before Visiting Mumbai
- There are 16 non-selfie zones in Mumbai where you are not allowed to take any pictures due to safety reasons. Make sure you know the zones and see if you are permitted to click pictures before you start doing so.
- Mumbai has three seasons, summer, winter and monsoon and monsoon comes between June and September. It would be good if you avoid visiting here during the monsoon. The temperature during this time is ok but it gets very humid and has thunderstorms and windy conditions. You may experience heavy rains and clogged streets which are not a pleasant sight.
- When is Mumbai you've to go to try the street food here. It is full of Khao gallis or treats streets where you get exotic street food that you get only in Mumbai. You can try pav bhaji, bhel puri, dosa, a Variety of chutneys and very famous Bombay Sandwich. It is a haven for food lovers for sure.
- Getting a booking in a hotel is easy in Mumbai as there are many there. You can book hotels through Oyo and Treebo. You won't have to worry about finding a budget hotel or even a luxury hotel here.
- Mumbai is known to be the safest place in India, especially for women. It is common to see young and old women working late nights and travelling alone of local trains. You will also see many female travellers wandering in Mumbai easily but it is advisable to stay away from really cheap hotels and stay in busy areas, especially at night.
- You've got to experience the ferry service when you are in Mumbai. This will take you to the nearby islands like Alibaug and Elephanta Caves. It starts from the dock area in South Mumbai and is a very cost-effective way to see beautiful places around Mumbai.
- Mumbai is known for its shopping areas. You can buy some great stuff from here at affordable prices as long as you know how to haggle. This can be a fun experience for you and your loved one to walk around the market and haggle your way through great deals. The best way to do this is to ask for a discount when they tell you the price and then offer them a counter price that you think you should pay for the item. Usually, the shopkeepers reduce their prices and you may end up buying great stuff at very low prices.
Here are a few things you should know before you plan to take a trip with your partner to enjoy Mumbai to the fullest.
You must figure out where to stay in Mumbai, select some of the places you’ll want to tour and consider selecting a hotel or resort that will be near most of these destinations. Otherwise, Mumbai has many accommodation types and prices to suit different travellers and various budgets. We hope you’ll get something that will wow you from this guide. Enjoy your travels.