A Good Fragrance is What You’ve Been Missing in Your Living Space
Perfume is the art that makes memory speaks.
The above quote is given by famous Frech perfumer Francis Kurkdjian, and we couldn’t agree more with him! A good fragrance has the power to bring back those memories that you once cherished. Besides, a pleasing fragrance goes a long way in making your surroundings more refreshing, elevates your mood, and even helps you increase productivity.
While looking for the best fragrance and perfume brands in India, we came across one company, a luxury home fragrance brand, which brings eccentric fragrances that will light up your home’s surroundings and make you fall in love with their fragrances!
Light Up Your Home’s Surroundings With Niana’s Home Fragrances
Fueled by a love for fragrance, an obsession with candles, and an intense desire to work with one’s hands, Niana was founded in 2011 by Leena Labroo. Born in her kitchen and named after her two daughters, Nisheeta & Aneesha, Niana is an expression of purest love. Their mission is to bring a deep sense of joy, serenity, and illumination to your home and space where you spend most of the time of the day, through their lovely fragrances, which are prepared from some of the finest ingredients brought in from across the globe.
We interviewed the founders learned their inspiration behind starting the company, which is on its way to becoming one of the leading luxury home fragrance brands in India.
Drawing our core inspirations from the people we meet, our travels, memories, experiences and moments; all Niana products are symbolic of these explorations and discoveries. Our fragrances are inspired by flowers, spices, fruits, aromas that surround us in our everyday lives, favourite spots like spas, beaches and mountains.
Q & A with Leena & Nisheeta: The Story Behind Niana
Q. Tell us about yourself and what led you to create Niana.
Q. Tell us about Niana’s unique approach to making candles, and why make them eco-friendly.
Q. How do you ensure quality of your candles and fragrances?
Mistakes to Avoid While Lighting Up the Candle
Q. What are some common mistakes people make when using scented candles and home fragrances?
Many people aren’t aware that there is a right way to burn a candle. This is crucial, and burning your candle the right way can help you get the most out of it! Here are some of our tips:
- Choosing the right candle – Choose candles that are eco-friendly and use cotton or wooden wicks. Soy or other vegetable wax candles are more eco-friendly and burn cleaner than paraffin candles. Spend a little more on quality candles, cheap candles usually use the cheapest wax, and their wicks often contain lead. Quality candles for your home are essential as you, your kids, and your pets are breathing anything that is burnt in your house.
- Burning your candle for the first time – The first burn of your candle is the most important. Allow all the wax on the surface to melt and become a liquid pool. The liquid pool should reach the edges of the container. When you don’t allow the top layer to melt fully, your candle will begin to tunnel. Tunneling occurs when the wick starts to sink lower, and wax rises, forming a tunnel through the center of the candle. Being patient and allowing the wax to melt all the way across the top will help your container stay clean, and the candle will burn all the way down. Letting the whole top layer melt each time also helps you get the best scent throw out of your candle.
- Relighting your candle – Trim the wick to ¼ inch before relighting to minimise mushrooming and soot. Trimming your candle’s wick will give you a brighter and cleaner burn. Long wicks can lead to smoke stains on your glass jar. Trimming the wick keeps the flame in control and helps to prevent the formation of soot. You can use scissors or a special wick trimmer or even your hands, but make sure you always trim the wick before you burn the candle.
- Safety and care – It’s important to remember safety when you’re burning candles.
- Always burn your candle within sight. Never leave your lit candle unattended.
- Always burn your candle on a heat-resistant surface, away from curtains and fabric.
- Never burn your candle on or anything that can catch fire.
- Make sure your lit candle is out of reach for children and pets.
- Keep all objects, including matches and wick trimmings, out of the candle.
- Keep candles out of drafts and air vents in order to maximise the scent.
- Store the candles in a cool, dry, and dark place as the wax and fragrance oil can be sensitive to temperature and light.
- Get rid of your candle when there’s ½ inch of wax left. You can clean out the wax and repurpose the jar by using it to store your makeup brushes, cotton, flowers, or just about anything!
Burning your candles the right way will help you get the most out of your candle and help you save money to buy some more!
Recommendations From the Founders
Q. Please tell us about different home fragrance products and how each is best used.
Q. Which products would you recommend to someone trying Niana for the first time?
Q. What are the top recommendations from your brand?
Intoxicating, rich, and sensual, its ancient smell of the calm and cool beauty of the night makes it true to its name - a gift from God.
MRP: Rs. 865
Cool Fresh Reed Diffuser
Lime combines with white peony, vanilla, and mahogany giving it an air of sophistication, both modern and traditional. A burst of exuberance!
MRP: Rs. 1,450
Satiate every citrus whim and breathe in the distinct flavor of orange and mandarin. Combined with neroli, orange blossom, musk & tonka bean, this fragrance is an instant mood enhancer, making the moment lighter, zestier, and more effervescent.
MRP: Rs. 1,800
Where Can You Find Them?
Here’s How You Can Set the Right Fragrance for Different Rooms
Q. How can fragrance add to a room, and how can it be used to set different moods?
Fragrance has the ability to transform a space, alter a mood and rekindle memories. An often-overlooked element, scent can make a major impact on the ambience of your home. Using a special scent for each room allows you to give each space a distinct personality. From your bedroom to kitchen, here are our top picks to add charm to your home:
- Entrance: Leave the chaos of the world behind as you enter your private sanctuary. The entrance of your home should be inviting and uplifting. Luminous, an intoxicating blend of white violet flowers, soft musk, and sandalwood is sure to leave a good first impression.
- Bedroom: Create a soothing environment with a serene and intimate scent for your bedroom. Scents like jasmine, lavender, and ylang-ylang are natural aphrodisiacs and promote relaxation. A little sexy yet subtle, Honeysuckle Jasmine is the perfect scent for your bedroom. This intimate scent is sure to promote relaxation and restful sleep.
- Bathroom: Use clean and refreshing scents that can help transform your space into a spa. Avoid heavy smells that will overwhelm the space. Cool Fresh, an infusion of lime, white peony, vanilla and mahogany will blend effortlessly into your space, conjuring a crisp and clean feeling.
- Living Room: For your living room, select scents that you would enjoy being around for long periods of time. Set candles tableside for ambient lighting – perfect for entertaining. If you’re hosting a party, choose a lively fragrance that will get noticed. Zeal, a blend of orange, mandarin, neroli, musk, and tonka bean, an instant mood enhancer, is sure to encourage guests to mingle.
- Kitchen: For days when your kitchen isn’t smelling of baked goods, use a spicy or citrus scent to eliminate strong aromas. SMODOR, a fusion of orange, grapefruit, and cinnamon, is an invigorating spicy citrus fragrance for your kitchen.
- Study: Improve concentration and fight mental fatigue with stimulating cinnamon. Perfect for your study, invigorate your mind with Red Spice, an old-time favorite of cinnamon with undertones of clove and nutmeg.
- Dining Room: Don’t compete with the food! For your dining room, opt for herbaceous or citrus-based scents that complement the food aroma. Grapefruit & Mangosteen, Mandarin Lime and Lemon Verbena are great scents to neutralize stubborn cooking scents and set the mood for entertaining.
- Guest Bathroom: No more embarrassing smells or cleaning up after your guests at a dinner party! Poofume, our Before & After Toilet Spray, is a must-have for all bathrooms. A blend of citrus, musk and sandalwood creates a shield and blocks any unpleasant odor.
- Closet: Designed for use in small spaces, our scented sachets are ideal to gently perfume your closet. Hang the sachet in your closet or slip into drawers to keep your clothes smelling fresh.
Scent according to the season: In the summer, use light and fresh fragrances. Choose energizing citrus-based aromas that will boost your energy. In the winter, use woody scents that will leave you feeling cozy and warm.
Know the Founders & What’s Next For the Company
Q. What’s next for your brand?
Q. What are your own interests?
Bonus Tips for Gifting & Niana’s Latest Recommendations
Q. What should one keep in mind when selecting candles for gifting?
New Spring Summer candles
A soft and romantic scent to refresh your home. Crisp and intoxicating, a perfect balance of floral notes with a woody undertone.
MRP: Rs. 700
Fill your home with a smell that is reminiscent of beautiful, colourful blooms. Fresh & modern, this powdery blend of exotic floral notes complements the beauty of the enchanting flower.
MRP: Rs. 700
Passion blends contrasting notes to create an effect that is striking and contemporary. Warm, fruity notes of pink peppercorn are at the heart of this composition. Cradling this tightly is the creamy, spicy ylang-ylang flower, fresh cucumber, and grassy notes. A bold musk with mulberry notes completes the accord with its strength and softness. Passion embodies a certain modernity through its energy and joyfully invites you to share its universe.
MRP: Rs. 1,800
Signature Gift Set - Floral
An exclusive gift set featuring their best-selling floral fragrances. Curated with love, Niana's handcrafted sets make beautiful gifts for any occasion. An irresistible floral bouquet featuring Honeysuckle Jasmine Reed Diffuser, Mogra Candle, Wild Rose Sachet.
MRP: Rs. 2,800
There is Thin Line Between The Right Amount & "Too Much" Fragrance
A good fragrance can undoubtedly freshen up your mood; however, one crucial thing that most of us miss is choosing the right amount of fragrance, be it for your living space or your body. Too much fragrance can be a huge turnoff. Hence, when it comes to home and living space fragrances, make sure you use the right amount of fragrance required by calculating the size of the room and don't cross to "too much" fragrance.