Understanding Virtual Reality and Types of VR
Remember that little box on a bicycle which had windows on it, and you could peep in through them and watch a small clip moving? Yep, that’s what VR was, for the kids in the olden times. But today’s kids won't know that, they have a much better option with much more realistic view, sounds and effects. Yes, we are talking about the very popular Virtual Reality (VR).
VR has recently gained a lot of name and fame but it has been around since the 1950s. Morton Heilig, also known as the father of VR was a cinematographer in America in the 1960s. He developed Sensorama which was a single user console which had a stereoscopic display, stereo speakers, odor emitters, fans, and a vibrating chair and this combined together gave an experience of riding a bike. This was the start of VR.
Since then, many people and companies developed VR devices and the very first head mounted display or HMD came into being in 1961 by engineers at the Philco Corporation. This was a helmet which had a video screen and a tracking system but was made to use for survey locations from a safe distance and the rest is history.
Virtual Reality Headsets: An Exciting Gadget
Virtual Reality lets people enjoy a fabricated environment. It tracks a person's movements; it has a VR headset with a screen for each eye. A pair of lenses is put between the panels and eyes which blocks the outside world. Almost all the VR headsets track a person's movement but some do it better than others.
There are different types of VR, like the standalone VR and PC VR. The Standalone VR works by itself without using pre existing technology. It is run through a hardware worn on the head and it does not need to be connected to any external equipment. The PC VR needs to be connected to a PC with high specifications. It provides graphical fidelity which is higher than standalone VR, but the headset is wired to the PC at all times which provides less freedom than the wireless standalone VR headset.
Best VR headsets Available in India
Diwali is around the corner and most of the people are looking for great gifts for their loved ones. Giving a VR headset as a gift this Diwali can keep your family and friends entertained and safe from Covid 19. Here are the top 10 VR headsets available in the market to choose from.
HTC Vive Cosmos VR Headset
The HTC Vive Cosmos VR Headset is one of the best VR headsets in the market currently. It comes with a 3.4 inch dual LCD screen and has an excellent tracking system. It also has a 110 degree field of view (FOV). It is a VR system for PC which needs a USB 3.0 display port 1.2 to connect it to the PC and the controls on the headset are placed comfortably to make your game session one of the best. It is also compatible with the VIVE wireless adaptor for you to enjoy it without wires if you like. It has built in headphones and comes with a free one year VIVEPORT infinity membership worth Rs.7,188. The membership provides you with unlimited access to tons of VR games, apps and videos to keep you busy all day. This cool VR headset if available for Rs.99,570 on tanotis.com.
Sony PS4 VR V2 Mega Pack
Next in line is the Sony PS4 VR V2 which opens a world of more than 200 games with it. It is made with cutting edge technology and gives you a great gaming experience. It has high visuals, 3D audio and intuitive controls for you to play high octane racing and battle games. You will simply have to connect it with your PS4 Pro and enjoy the thrill of VR gaming. This Mega Pack comes with one year Sony India warranty and you can buy it for Rs.31,600 from prepaidgamercard.com.
Oculus Quest All-in-One VR Gaming System
If you are looking for a great VR headset you can check out the Oculus Quest All in one VR system. It comes with a six degree of freedom tracking. The motion controllers in the system are a lot like the earlier Oculus Touch but are better. The sensors on the headset are situated on the sides of the headset which let you move around without getting tangled with the wires. You can easily walk around, bend, crouch comfortably and enjoy it to the max.
If you are new to VR, then you should go with Oculus Quest 2 as it has a high resolution screen and better controls. But if you want to go with an affordable version then you can go with the older hardware. The Oculus Quest all in one system can be bought for Rs.54,999.99 from Amazon.
TechGear Virtual Reality Headset
The next VR headset on our list is by TechGear. It is specifically made for iOS like Apple iPhone. You can enjoy its different features and applications like gaming and entertainment. It is an extremely lightweight headset with can be worn for hours without interrupting your gaming session. It has a 1080p resolution large screen which gives an out of the world VR experience. You can buy it for Rs.3,990 from Flipkart.
BlackBox Unlimited VR Shinecon 2.0 G-02
Looking for an affordable and entertaining gift for your brother? He would love the BlackBox unlimited VR. This is an exceptional VR headset which can be used with smartphones and is compatible with almost all the smartphones with a screen size ranging from 4 to 6 inches. If you are looking for a great gaming experience with this headset then your smartphone should have a gyroscope, accelerometer and sensors and you will fall in love with it. Your sibling can watch endless hours of movies, play games and use all the VR apps on his smartphone. The 3 point head strap makes it comfortable to wear for hours. The headset comes with one year warranty and 42 mm HD optical lenses. You can order it online for Rs.1,599 from digit.in.
Samsung Gear VR w/Controller - Latest Edition - US Version
The Samsung Gear VR comes with controllers and is the latest edition of the US version. You can have a blast with this headset because you can use the intuitive controller in it to drop, point drag and much more with just a flick of your wrist. You can also access tons of games from Oculus as well with this headset. The sleek design of the headset makes it look very trendy. It comes with a separate controller that lets you play games and navigate with ease. You can also virtually chat with your friends and have a blast. This headset is available for Rs.37,755 on Amazon.
AuraVR Pro VR Box Headset with Remote Controller
Aura VR Pro VR Box headset is yet again a very stylish and affordable VR headset in the market. It is made with high grade plastic and is lightweight. You can use it with smart phones of different sizes ranging from 3.5"-6" and can even be used with spectacles. It lets you adjust the Inter Pupillary distance for better focus. It also comes with a removable lid and air vents to avoid overheating of your smartphone due to longer use. The lenses used in the headset come with nano coated optical resin which gives you great experience. You can use it with phones using operating system like android 4.1 or above or iOS 5 as long as the phones have Gyro sensor, proximity sensor and magnetometer. With so many different features it can be bought for Rs.1,599 only from auravr.com.
Irusu Monster VR Headset
The Irusu Monster VR headset comes with a polarised and calibrated 42M HD resin lenses which gives you an out of the world gaming experience. It comes with a Bluetooth remote controller to be used with VR apps and games. The headset has a foam protector with head straps to make it very comfortable to wear for a long time. It also has side slots for inserting earphones and charging pin it. This headset is compatible with phone up to 6.69 inches with a Gyroscope and an accelerometer sensor. You can buy it for Rs.2,299 only from Amazon.
Original Xiaomi VR Play 2 Virtual Reality VR Glasses
The Original Xiaomi VR play glasses is a sleek designed VR headset with is compatible with 4.7 to 5.7 inch screen phones. It comes with a 93 degree FOV which provides you with a great viewing experience. The headset has sponge cushion which does not put pressure on your nose or eyelids and makes gaming fun and comfortable for you. The headset is compact in size, so you can easily pack it in your bags and take it along with you when you travel. It can be bought for Rs.4,651 from order2india.com.
Procus One Virtual Reality Headset
Last but not the least is the Procus ONE Virtual Reality Headset. It has the biggest 40MM lenses with an expanded FOV to give you an excellent viewing experience. You can easily stream movies, play tons of video games and access apps through it and enjoy to the max. The headset comes with an in built touch button to make it easy for you to use as you won't have to open it each time you need to press the button. It is compatible with android and iOS with 4.7"- 6" screens with a gyroscope feature. The headset has a firm head support which keeps it firmly on place when you play. This headset can be bought for Rs.1,949 only, from Amazon.
Features to Look for in a VR Headset
Here are a few pointers that can help you buy a good and compatible VR headset for yourself or your family members.
- Before you buy a VR headset you should ask yourself what you will be using it for. You can use a VR headset for playing games, attending live events, taking tutorials and watching your favorite movies. If you know what you will be using it for it will be easier for you to buy a perfect VR headset for yourself. If you like to play games, you can go for a tethered system. To watch videos, you can look into smartphone headsets.
- Check to see if your device is compatible with the VR you are planning to buy. You can go ahead and order a VR headset online. But if it is not compatible, then you won't be able to use it. You need to figure out how you will power your VR headset. For example, a PlayStation VR will need a PS4 console but the HTC Vive will need a PC to use it with. So check and see if you have the required devices for the VR you are planning to buy.
- Check for immersion or controllers, tracking and sound. If you want real VR experience, your headset should have more immersion. Some headsets come with a 1:1 positioning tracking and some don't. So you should check the immersion in a headset for real life experience.
- If your VR set is heavy you won't be able to wear it for a long time. If it has all the features needed to make it the best headset, but is heavy, then it won't be too comfortable for you to wear. Your headset should be comfortable enough to be worn for a couple of hours without pressurising your eyes or head.
- It is important to check if you have enough play area before buying a VR headset. You will need enough space to walk, jump and do tons of other physical activities while you play. But if your space is crammed, you might end up injuring yourself. Your headset should be compatible with the play area and you will need enough space for cables or PC.
- Most of the VR headsets come with a remote controller which lets you enjoy your session without having to remove your phone to change the video or games. So it is better to buy a headset with a quality remote control.
- You can buy VR headsets in various budgets. There are headsets ranging between Rs.2,000 to Rs.2 lakhs. But you can easily buy a good VR headset with tons of features under Rs.3,000. Decide the budget beforehand and you can go with a low end VR box if you are a beginner and enjoy it.
- Always check to see the material used to make a VR headset. A good VR headset should be eco-friendly with optical resins and 8 layer nano coating for best results.
Before Purchasing Electronics
Before purchasing any kind of electronics items, it is a good idea to decide on a fixed budget. That helps you decide what features are important to you and you'd want to pay for them, and which ones are not as important, so you can let them pass. Also, check compatibility with your devices, else you may get stuck with a product you can't use. Check out reviews before buying such expensive products as the experience of others really helps when you're making a choice. Good luck!