Using Henna for Hair Care: 5 benefits You Should Know
Henna has been used since ancient times to provide natural colouring to greying hair in India. This herb-based dye offers plenty more benefits that make it a great choice for colouring your hair. Here are just a few of the biggest advantages of using henna regularly over chemical-based dyes:
- Natural hair colour: While several brands are selling fancy hair colours, henna still happens to be the most natural way to colour your hair and cover the greys. Unlike the store-bought colours, it is chemical-free and nourishes your hair from root to tip.
- Helps reduce dandruff and maintain pH balance: Henna is an excellent solution to dandruff and itchy scalp problems. Furthermore, it helps maintain the pH balance of the hair and removes excess oils and grease.
- Reduces hair fall and boosts hair growth: Accumulation of excess oil on the scalp causes hair fall. By removing these oils, henna reduces hair fall and promotes hair growth.
- Helps in conditioning: Henna is known to help condition the hair as it aids the cuticles to lock in the moisture and stops them from becoming dry.
- Aids in relieving stress: Often the production of free radicals in the hair causes an imbalance leading to oxidative stress. This stress is the root cause of hair problems like breakage, hair fall, and greying and can be solved by the anti-oxidant properties of henna.
How to Apply Henna?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply henna in a few simple steps.
- Ensure that your hair is clean and does not contain any product. You can use any mild shampoo to remove grease and dirt, but do not apply conditioner.
- Make the henna paste or the henna hair pack of your choice before the time of application as instructed, and wear an old t-shirt or top, so you do not mind the staining.
- Comb your hair well and check that no part is tangled. Then part your hair and separate them with hair clips. In this step, you may also want to coat your hands, ears, and forehead with vaseline or coconut to avoid staining.
- Take a generous amount of the paste on a brush or your fingers (wear gloves if you plan to use your hands) and apply it to the different sections of the hair. You can start with the roots and slowly move on to the lengths. After each section is done, roll and pin it up in a bun.
- Once you have applied henna to the entire hair, cover it with a shower cap or a plastic and let the henna stay as prescribed.
- Finally, wash your hair with lukewarm water. In most cases, it is recommended to not use shampoo immediately, except for certain henna hair packs.
8 Hair Packs to Make with Henna
Henna is one natural ingredient with versatile uses, from treating itchy scalp to getting shiny, dark hair. When paired with some other items, its benefits are only elevated. Let's look at seven simple DIY hair masks you can make at home with readily available natural ingredients.
If you are tired of grey hair and want a natural way to color them, then this pack is for you.
- Start by soaking the henna in freshly brewed tea overnight.
- To get the best results, the next morning, add a tablespoon of coffee powder to this concoction and mix well.
- Once the paste is ready, apply it generously all over your head, mainly focusing on the grey hair.
- Leave the mask for at least four hours and let the henna do its magic.
- Rinse off with cold water and bid adieu to grey hair.
Split ends are real trouble that leaves your hair damaged and dull. The next hair pack on our list puts an end to split ends, leaving you with gorgeous hair.
- First, whip up a viscous henna paste, and let it sit for more than 8 hours.
- Next, smash a ripped banana and mix it with the paste.
- Dampen your hair and apply it, leaving it for around 5 minutes. Wash it afterward.
When dandruff has got you worried, it is time for the henna and egg hair pack. If you want the best results, apply once every week.
- In a bowl, start mixing one tablespoon of olive oil and henna powder.
- After a while, put some egg whites and little water in the bowl. You have to keep beating the mixture until it is smooth.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave for an hour.
- Lastly, use a sulphate-free shampoo to wash your hair, so it is not stinky.
Amla and henna mixture is considered to be a magic potion for your hair that instantly repairs damaged hair and initiates growth. This is how you can make it:
- Start by mixing henna and a cup of amla juice in a bowl.
- To this mixture, add an egg white, some fenugreek (methi) seeds, and a dash of lemon juice.
- After mixing, apply it to your head and the lengths of your hair. Now keep the paste for about an hour before rinsing it off.
Oily scalps often lead to severe hair loss. An overnight hair pack made with henna and Multani mitti is a natural way to fight this problem. To make this pack at home
- In a bowl, mix equal parts of henna and Multani mitti, and mix until you get a uniform paste.
- Apply the pack generously to your scalp and hair at night before going to bed. You can wear a shower cap or wrap your hair with an old towel to avoid staining your sheets.
- Take a good bath in the morning with a sulfate-free shampoo.
- Although this pack helps get rid of oil, dirt, and grease, it may not be ideal for those suffering from a cold, asthma, sinus, and migraine.
If dry and unmanageable hair is your worst nightmare, then you have to try this hair pack.
- Start by warming some coconut milk. You do not have to boil it.
- Add ten tablespoons of henna powder to the coconut milk, followed by four tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir the mixture until the paste is smooth and lump-free.
- Then apply it to your hair and let it sit for an hour before washing it with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Your hair needs moisture just like your skin does. The henna and aloe vera hair pack is a simple trick to lock moisture in your hair.
- First, cut an aloe vera leaf in half and scoop out the gel.
- Put this gel in a mixer grinder with some henna powder or henna leaves and give it a good mix.
- Once the paste is ready, pour it into a bowl. You can use a sieve to get a smoother paste.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the mixture with a brush or brush, and then leave it for a few hours.
- Rinse it off with a sulfate-free shampoo.
The last and final hair pack on this list ensures deep conditioning using simple and natural components.
- Add henna powder to a tea concoction and mix well.
- Next, add some lemon juice and set the paste aside for about 30 minutes.
- Lastly, add two tablespoons of curd and whip it until smooth.
- Apply the hair mask to the lengths of your hair and keep it for an hour.
- Wash it with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Best Henna For Hair: 30 Henna Brands You Must Try for Gorgeous Hair
1.Khadi Natural Organic Natural Henna
The goodness of nature in its purest form is brought to you by Khadi Organic Natural Henna products. Our forefathers recognized the potential of henna leaves and have used them for various medical purposes since the dawn of time. Khadi Natural is attempting to keep that tradition alive by making organic henna for your hair and body. It works as a fantastic conditioner, restoring the hair's lustre and gloss. It also works scientifically to maintain your hair's natural balance, reducing scalp issues including dandruff, weak roots, and hair colouring damage. This organic Henna is available for Rs.249 on Khadi Natural's Official Website.
2. VLCC Natural & Herbal Henna - Pack of 3
Do you want your hair to regain its natural luster and gloss? VLCC Natural & Herbal Henna was created with this aim in mind. Its deep conditioning is guaranteed to make your hair healthy from the inside out, so the results you witness aren't just superficial. It has been enhanced with Amla and Reetha extracts, both of which are beneficial to hair, darkening, and promoting hair development. Because of Reetha's activity, your hair will have a distinct shine. On Nykaa, you can purchase this henna package for Rs.176.
3.Tattvalogy Henna Powder
The essence of handpicked henna leaves from Rajasthan's Sojat city is extracted to create Tattvalogy Henna Powder. The leaves are then sun-dried to activate their therapeutic effects. It is then ground into a fine powder without the use of any additions, harmful colours, or other chemicals. Henna's miraculous abilities begin to work the moment you apply it to your hair. This henna's various benefits include root strengthening, hair growth promotion, antibacterial action, and deeply nourishing. This product is available for Rs.203 on Nykaa's Website.
4. Kama Ayurveda Organic Henna Powder
Are you on the lookout for a henna product that can be used on every type of hair? Kama Ayurveda's Organic Henna Powder strives to attain this feature. Many of its faithful customers swear by it as a fantastic conditioner and dye. You may also use the Organic Indigo Powder that comes with it to give your hair a luscious black hue. The Organic Henna Powder is available for Rs.850 on the Kama Ayurveda Website.
5.Godrej Nupur Henna
Are you seeking a henna that provides all of the benefits of your handmade henna plus some extra features? The Godrej Nupur Henna is the best option for you. Along with the conditioning and hair colour benefits of homemade henna, it also has anti-dandruff, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties. It has the goodness of 9 herbs that include Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe vera, Methi, Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus, and Jatamansi. It's a great option for both men and women who have greying hair. It may be purchased for Rs.67 on the Amazon Website.
6. Indus Valley Natural Herbal Henna Powder
Finding an all-natural hair product among the ones laden with artificial chemicals that line the cosmetic aisles can be very intimidating. For this reason, Indus Valley offers you a herbal henna powder that is entirely natural and free of any additional preservatives or pesticides. It is so organic that Mother Nature herself has given it her blessing. It is a fantastic natural alternative for hair colouring and promoting hair health. Sealing the hair cuticle, achieves this, giving your hair a glossy, lustrous appearance. This item is available on Amazon for Rs. 189.
7. Shahnaz Husain Henna Precious Herb Mix
Do you love the benefits of conditioning and colouring your hair with henna but hate the way how your hair ends up looking all dry and frizzy? If you want to fix this issue, you should give Shahnaz Husain Henna Precious Herb Mix a try. It is one of the top-rated henna products available which is produced by one of the industry's leading cosmetic brands. Additionally, it contains priceless herbs that aid with dandruff and hair loss issues. For Rs. 478, you may get this item from Amazon and make it your own.
8. Inatur Organic 100% Natural Henna Powder
Inatur Organic 100% Natural Henna Powder will make you feel as if you are applying henna freshly made by your mother after plucking henna leaves from your backyard. It is a natural hair colour that gives you a rich black hair colour when mixed with indigo powder. It also contains the beneficial ingredients amla, shikakai, Brahmi, and bhringraj to offer your hair the best possible enrichment and health. On the Nykaa website, the Inatur Henna costs Rs. 75.
9.Oshea Herbals Ayurvedic Henna Hair Pack
Oshea Herbals Ayurvedic Henna Hair pack is one of those rare products where its ingredients are directly obtained from the divine Himalayan range. It has many excellent advantages, such as promoting hair growth, washing and hydrating the hair, and leaving the hair silky and luxuriant. Its sealing and shielding properties stop hair loss and exposure to air pollution. You should try this henna if you are feeling hopeless about your dull and lifeless hair. This henna is available on Amazon for Rs. 193.
10.Habibs Natural Herbal Medicine Henna Powder
Habibs Natural Herb Medicine Henna Powder is a ready-to-use henna mixture that just needs water to activate. It can be used in combination with curd to enhance its conditioning properties. Additionally, it can be used to give hair a brownish tint that will remain longer than henna which is often found in nature. To create the purest henna powder that can conceal even the smallest and most minute grey hairs, the powder is triple-filtered. On the Amazon website, you can purchase this Henna for Rs.174.
11. Richfeel Heena Mehendi Powder
Richfeel Henna Mehendi Powder is a great way to organically colour your greying hair black. This powder offers a natural alternative to various dyes on the market while also deeply nourishing and conditioning your hair. By strengthening your hair's roots and sealing any damaged areas of the shaft, it prevents breakage. The best part is that it is loaded with ingredients that are great for hair, like Arnica, Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai. On Amazon, a pack of 6 satchels costs Rs. 360.
12. Banjara's Hibiscus Black Henna
Do you recall how our mothers would harvest the essence from newly blooming hibiscus flowers to encourage the growth of our hair? That is why Banjara's Hibiscus Black Henna comes with the goodness of Hibiscus overflowing in it. You should use this product if you are concerned about hair loss and grey hair. You will also have hair that is so soft that your hand will simply slide right off of it. On Amazon, you can purchase this henna powder for Rs. 280.
13. Nat Habit - Back To Natural Secrets Everyday Ready-to-Apply Henna Paste
Nat Habit Ready-to-Apply Henna Paste comes soaked in the goodness of black tea and other beneficial herbs such as Amla, Rosemary, and Manjistha. The antioxidants in Amla have anti-aging properties that prevent hair greying and aging. Rosemary and Manjistha act along with Henna to give your hair a rich brown tone. It also helps in sealing your hair pigment which is melanin to further stop greying hair. This henna powder is available on Amazon for Rs.330
14. Just Herbs Herbal Henna Plus
Just Herbs Herbal Henna Plus is full of Ayurvedic herbs from the Nature-enriched part of the Indian subcontinent. These herbs include Neem, Hibiscus, and Amla, all of which have a fantastic reputation for improving hair. Neem's antibacterial qualities prevent any infections from developing on your scalp. Antioxidant-rich amla keeps your hair young and dark, while hibiscus encourages hair growth. On the Just Herbs website, you can purchase this amazing Henna for Rs. 297.
15. Himalaya Natural Shine Henna
Himalaya Natural Shine Henna comes with a seal of approval from the finest of Henna leaves in Rajasthan. It also has the added benefits of other medicinal herbs such as Amla and curry leaves that help prevent premature greying of hair, bhringaraja, and hibiscus that help in hair growth, as well as methi and shikakai that leaves your hair smooth and shiny. This henna powder is one of the economical options as you can get this for Rs. 75 from the Himalaya website.
16. Patanjali Herbal Mehandi
By bringing out the best of nature in their new Herbal Mehandi, Patanjali has accomplished this challenge once more. Ten Ayurvedic herbs that have been used for centuries to benefit hair have been included in the preparation. It contains herbs like Amla, tea, Katha, black cumin, and indigo, which deep condition the hair while also boosting growth and preventing infections. You can get this natural dye for your hair on the Patanjali website for Rs.35
17. Jovees Herbal Henna & Brahmi Herbal Mehandi
Do you frequently feel tense about how lifeless and monotonous your hair seems to be? The incredible mixture of Jovees Herbal Henna & Brahmi Herbal Mehandi was created with consideration for all hair types and requirements. This Mehendi powder is brimming with natural herbs' healing powers, which will dramatically transform your hair. As it fortifies your hair's roots and gives it volume, you will be able to feel your hair getting healthier. On the Nykaa website, this Mehandi is available for Rs. 179.
18. Biotique Bio Heena Fresh Powder Hair Colour
Another cutting-edge item from the incredible line of Biotique Herbal goods is the Biotique Bio Heena Fresh Powder Hair Color. They have mixed the virtues of exotic plants like mango kernel and Arjun tree bark with the advantages of henna. All you need to do is mix this powder with water to make your greying hairs completely vanish. On top of this, you also get a rich and glossy look in your hair. Purchase this item from Amazon for Rs.199.
19.Ayur Rajasthani Henna (Mehndi) Powder
Do you know that Rajasthan is where the purest and best henna leaves are grown? In light of this, Ayur Rajasthani Henna Powder is a jewel of a henna product that is derived directly from the fields of Rajasthan. It is a fantastic natural dye that will undoubtedly give your hair colour. It is triple-sifted to produce the finest powder and is entirely natural, free of ammonia. This item is available on Amazon for Rs. 130.
20. TVAM Natural Hair Colour - Pure Henna
TVAM Natural Hair Color Pure Henna is not just a product that is going to colour your hair naturally. It is also going to give you the experience of a spa treatment because of how refreshed and moisturized your hair is going to feel after applying it. This henna powder is created with hand-selected, refined, and triple-sifted leaves to provide the highest quality final product. On the TVAM Naturals Website, you can purchase this incredible henna powder for Rs. 500.
21. HM Herbal Me Natural Henna Hair Colour
All hair types can use HM Herbal Me Natural Henna Hair Color, a dye-free natural colourant. It has no chemicals or ammonia and is 100% natural, according to Ecocert certification. After using this product, you'll experience reduced dandruff and hair fall in addition to a long-lasting colour. Additionally, a guidebook with a colour chart, an application brush, a shower cap, and a pair of gloves are given to you. On Amazon, you can purchase this henna powder for Rs. 354.
22.Keya Seth Aromatherapy, Henna Herbal
Aromatherapy by Keya Seth Henna Herbal Hair colour is an organic dye that can be used to achieve long, healthy, and strong hair along with coloured hair. Additionally, it contains exotic herbs like jojoba powder, tea leaves, and catechu powder, all of which work to deeply hydrate hair and slow down the aging process. Additionally, henna aids in preserving the PH balance of the hair and raising blood flow to the scalp to encourage hair growth. On Amazon, this item costs only Rs. 175.
23.Dabur Vatika Henna
Your ticket to glitzy, glamorous hair that is internally healthy is Dabur Vatika Henna Dark Brown. A fantastic alternative to chemical colours and ammonia damage for colouring your hair is henna. One sachet must be mixed with water and applied to your hair for 30 minutes. You will receive 6 sachets in one box. That is all you need to do to have luscious dark brown coloured hair. On Amazon, a package of this henna costs Rs. 1,100.
24. Carmel Organics Natural Henna Leaves Powder
Carmel Organics Natural Henna Leaves Powder is a quick-to-use and instant results type of natural hair dye. To see remarkable effects, all you have to do is leave a mixture of this powder and water on your hair for an hour. You will be left with deep conditioning glossy and silky hair with a deep brown colour added to it. Additionally, you'll experience less hair loss and dandruff. Purchase this item on Amazon for Rs. 399.
25. Hennaveda Organic Hair Henna
The traditional customs of our ancestors were taken into consideration when Hennaveda Organic Hair Henna was created. This brand aimed to improve domestically produced henna without sacrificing its cost or safety. This product is entirely chemical- and cruelty-free organic as a result. You are providing your hair with wholesome nourishment when you apply this henna paste to it. For just Rs. 260 on Amazon, enjoy the delight of having deeply coloured, silky-smooth hair.
26. Jiva Henna Hair Care Powder
Jiva Henna Hair Care Powder is a natural hair cleansing and conditioning product that works by a deep cleansing of the scalp and hair and increasing moisture in the shaft of your hair follicles. Just 4-5 teaspoons of this henna powder do the trick for you to achieve deeply nourished hair. Ingredients like Majuphal, Shikakai, Amla, and Methi promote hair development and prevent premature greying. On Amazon, you can purchase a pack of this amazing henna powder for Rs. 298.
27.Just Jaivik 100% Organic USDA Certified Henna Powder
Just Jaivik Organic Henna Powder happens to be one of the most loved henna products on Amazon with over 1000+ satisfied customer reviews. You can obtain gorgeous hair coloured in shades ranging from coppery to auburn with the help of this product. It also contains antifungal and antibacterial qualities to maintain the best possible scalp health. Combining henna with yogurt or eggs will amplify its conditioning effects. On Amazon, you can purchase a pack for Rs. 239.
28. Neelamari 100% Natural Henna
Neelamari 100% Natural Henna With Himalayan Herbs Hair Coloring Powder is a product that will make you understand why the old-school method of dyeing your hair using natural alternatives is the better choice. Absolute coverage of greying hairs and silky and smooth hair that has been deeply conditioned are some of the benefits of this henna powder. This product is simple to use, and washing it off is as simple as using shampoo and water. On Nykaa, you can purchase this wonderful henna for Rs. 290.
29. Prakriti Herbals Natural Hair Henna
There are twice as many advantages to Prakriti Herbals Natural Hair Henna Amla Brahmi Bhringraj Powder as there are words in its name. This is because all these earlier mentioned natural herbs have special powers when it comes to hair. When henna will be colouring your grey hair, amla, Brahmi and bhringraj extracts will be working to make sure your hair will become as flawless as it can be. Purchase this henna item on Nykaa for Rs. 399.
30.Ancient Living Henna Mix Natural Hair Color
Ancient Living Henna Mix Natural Hair Color is a product that has been indeed prepared by borrowing the henna recipe from ancient times. This is because no chemical alternative from today can match up to the hair treatment that is provided by naturally obtained henna leaves. With the highest concentration of herbs and henna, it is a powerful solution that will colour your hair in the healthiest way imaginable. Nykaa has this henna powder for Rs. 225.
Henna application is a time-consuming and tedious process. But it's all-natural, safe, and has no side effects, so it's worth it. For dry hair, you can add yogurt or eggs to the powder. Some people also add coffee/tea brew and beetroot juice for a darker colour. It also promotes hair growth. So which henna powder did you try from the list above? Share your experience in the comments below.