Try Out These Easy DIY Garba Decoration Ideas to Be Creatively Festive This Navratri Season!
Navratri, the time of devotion and worship of Durga Maa lasts for nine days. During the days, fasting and ritualistic poojas take precedence over daily activities amongst Hindus. Nevertheless, the nights give rise to religious dance, music and devotional songs in worship to the Goddess. “Garba” is one of the very prominent dance forms that holds great significance in Navratri. People dance to the Garba on almost all days of the nine days festival.
Importance of Garba in Navratri
Originated in Gujarat, Garba is popular in other parts of the country as well. Navratri ideally symbolizes the victory of good over evil as the festival is celebrated to mark the victory of Goddess Durga over the Asura Mahishasura. The dance form is said to be a dramatization of the fight between the Goddess and Mahishasura. Every element in Garba holds the importance of its own. From the synchronized steps in the dance to the attire and the Garba matki, or Garba deep, every aspect of the dance is crucial and holds great significance.
Significance of the Garba Matki or Garba Deep
The dancers, both men and women dance around in circles around the Garba deep or the earthen pot. Synchronized circular movements of the dancers represent the circle of life, that moves from life to death and then rebirth. While the Garba deep represents the Goddess Durga in the form of a fetus in the mother’s womb. The goddess is considered unmoved and invincible.
The Garba matki is an earthen pot that is painted and beautifully decorated with beads, stones and other embellishments. Some dancers balance the Garba on their heads and perform their dance in worship of the Goddess. In fact, at times more than one garbs are balanced one over the other as part of the dancing ritual.
Easy DIY Garba Decoration Ideas
It is a common tradition for worshippers to beautifully decorate the Garba using their creativity. Decorating the Garba is auspicious and also enhances the festive spirit of the function. So, if you are planning to creatively decorate the Garba by yourself, then why hesitate? Get ahead and get inspired by some of the easiest DIY Garba decoration ideas given here.
Easy Garba Design with Decorative Mirrors
This is easy to follow, DIY idea to beautifully decorate the Garba. There are very minimal things used in the process and hence is very budget-friendly as well. The decorative mirrors give a glamorous touch to the Garba yet maintains the ethnicity in the look.
- Pot Fevicryl paint Colors - Red, Yellow
- Paint Brush
- Decorative mirror
- Golden Lace
- First apply the first coat of red paint evenly onto the Garba.
- Apply a line of fevicol around the neck of the Garba.
- Stick the golden lace onto this.
- Stick a piece of the decorative mirror on the Garba.
- Use tip or earbud to dot yellow paint around the decorative mirror.
- Repeat for mirrors all around the pot.
- Apply fevicol on the rim of the pot and dust glitter over it.
Garba Decoration with Adhesive Tape
This is a convenient technique to reduce the hassles and mess created while painting the Garba. Since the adhesive tape is used, you can assure you to get a neat and clean design over the painted surface. Use your creativity to further utilize this method in Garba decoration.
- Pot Fevicryl acrylic paint colors- red and yellow
- Decorative sequins
- First, apply a coat of the yellow paint onto the pot. You can paint only the desired region on the pot.
- Stick the adhesive tape onto the painted surface. You can use your creativity to stick it in any manner on the pot.
- Next, apply a coat of the red paint all over the pot.
- Remove the adhesive tape.
- Use fevicol to fix the decorative sequins and beads onto the pot.
Simple Garba Decoration with Golden Lace
Garba decoration can’t get any easier than this! This DIY method can be followed by beginners and even kids. The decoration is very simple, yet very appealing to the eyes. You will be amazed how a simple earthen pot can be transformed into such marvellous art with just the help of golden laces!
- Fevicryl paint Colors - Red, Yellow
- Paint Brush
- First, apply a coat of red paint evenly onto the whole surface of the pot, including the rim.
- Next, apply a line of fevicol onto the neck of the pot.
- Fix golden lace onto this.
- Repeat the process for another line of golden lace or more.
Garba Decoration with Sequins
Here is yet another easy yet stunning decoration method. Using only decorative sequins and mirrors, you can creatively beautify the Garba in a matter of minutes. Use your wildest creativity to add personal touches to the Garba.
- Fevicryl paint color- red
- Paint brush
- Decorative sequins
- Apply a coat of the red acrylic paint onto the whole surface of the pot.
- Stick the decorative sequins onto the pot using fevicol. Stick them in semi-circles over the Garba.
- Also, stick decorative beads along the edge of the bottom part of the Garba.
- To enhance the beauty, you can stick a line of the golden lace along the neck of the Garba.
Garba Decoration with Enamel Paints
This is a time saving and hassle-free method of painting a Garba. Enamel paints are not soluble in water. Hence, the paints float over water. When the Garba is dipped into the mixture of water and paint, the enamel paint gets transferred onto the surface of the pot. Easy isn’t it? Use your creativity to utilize this technique at its best!
- Enamel paints color- red and yellow
- White M-seal/ art clay/ shilpkar
- Acrylic paints
- Mix both the contents of the M-seal.
- Mold it into desired shapes and stick onto the Garba. Let it dry.
- Fill a tub full of water and pour enamel paints into it.
- Using a toothpick, you can lightly mix up the colours.
- Dip the Garba halfway into this tub of water and enamel paints.
- Let the paint dry for 24 hours.
- Paint the remaining part of the pot with acrylic paints.
Swirl Painting on Garba
Swirl painting with nail enamel or nail paint is one of the easiest ways to glam up your Garba. Use a mix of any number of your favourite nail colours to beautify a simple earthen pot. This method gives a contemporary look to your Garba and is quite different from the usual Garba decoration that we are familiar of. You can use decorative mirrors and traditional colours like red and yellow to raise ethnicity in the look!
- White acrylic paint
- Cello tape
- Nail enamel/ nail polish
- First, paint a small portion of the Garba with white acrylic paint.
- Use cello tape to cover the portion of the Garba that need not be painted.
- Fill a tub full of water and pour your favourite colours of nail enamel or nail polish into this.
- Blow over the water to create abstract patterns.
- Roll your pot over the water surface. The patterns of enamel paint will get transferred onto the pot.
- Let it dry.
- You can give finishing touches with acrylic paint or metallic paint.
Peacock Kalaash Decoration
The Garba decoration here indeed looks sophisticated and difficult to follow, especially for novices at art. But, read through the instructions and you will realize that the procedure isn’t difficult after all. The beautiful peacock inspired Garba decoration is a must try this season!
- M-seal/ art clay/ shilpkar
- Glitter foam sheets colors- blue, golden, green
- Acrylic colors- blue, golden
- Piece of Cardboard
- Stone lace
- Mold the m-seal into the shape of a peacock’s body. Give attention to details like the beak and the crest.
- Fix this onto the Garba with fevicol.
- Apply a coat of the blue paint onto the surface of the Garba including the peacock’s body. Let it dry.
- Cut the glitter foam sheets into small feather-shaped pieces.
- Arrange these in the desired colour pattern and stick onto a cardboard piece shaped like the tail of a peacock.
- Give final touches with golden metallic paint
- Stick strips of stone lace along the edges to enhance the beauty of the Garba.
Garba Decoration with Decorative Beads
Glam up your Garba with decorative stones and silver beads. This design is very minimal yet gives a very classy and elegant touch to your Garba pot. It is a great idea to try if you are short of time as the beads come in the form of chains and are easy to fix onto the Garba.
- Acrylic paint color- blue
- Silver bead chains
- Decorative stones/ rhinestone strings
- Apply 2 to 3 coats of the blue paint evenly over the surface of the pot.
- Let it dry.
- Stick a strip of the silver bead chain over the edges and the neck of the pot.
- Fix the decorative stones/ rhinestones along the silver bead chain.
- You can decorate the rim of the Garba too.
Decoration Items Needed for Garba Decoration
So, now you are ready with the design ideas to decorate your Garba. But, wondering where to get the required items from? Here is a list of websites from where you can get the required things from. We couldn’t make it any simpler for you!
This set of acrylic paints has all the possible colours required to get creative at your Garba decoration. The paint is also suitable for leather and vinyl surfaces and hence, is very durable. Available on paytmmall.com for Rs. 1,099.
You can use these round shaped decorative mirrors for Garba decoration. Also, the mirrors are available in other shapes like square, teardrop and diamond. Check out amazon.in for Rs. 179.
Check out the website inhika.com to grab hold of all kinds of splendid laces required for your Garba decoration. You can even use them for your clothing decoration as well. This place is available for Rs. 520.
Sequins add charm and sparkle to your Garba. So, don’t forget to purchase these glittered sequins before you start with the Garba decoration. Available on amazon.in for Rs. 379.
Shilpkar or M-seal
M-seal or art clay is a versatile craft supply to work with. You can use your imagination and creativity to incorporate the use of this clay in your Garba decoration for Navratri. Available on flipkart.com for Rs. 175.
A set of folk art enamel paints is available on thecraftshop.in for Rs. 1,599. The set is included with all possible colours required for art and craft. However, if you aren’t much of a craft buff, then buy one or two pieces of only the required colours instead.
Glitter Foam Sheets
Check out indiamart.com a set of A 4 sized foam sheets of different colours. It is available for Rs. 65 for a set.
The rhinestone strings are the perfect addition of embellishments on your Garba. Since they come in a string, you don’t have to painstakingly stick stone by stone onto the Garba. Available on craftgully.com for Rs. 35.
This stone lace is suitable for art and craft needs like Garba decoration and jewelry making. Since they come in strips, it is very easy to fix them onto the Garba. Available on shopclues.com for Rs. 374.
Designs for Rangoli
You can use flowers in making Rangoli on the floor where the puja is going to be held. There are different floral rangoli designs that you can create on the floor. So this time make a unique and classic Floral Rangoli Design.