What is an Ergonomic Pen and Types of Ergonomic Pens Available
Although most of us use laptops or computers to write everything under the sun pens still hold an important part in our lives. There are situations when only a pen can be used like writing your exam, signing an important contract, writing a prescription or simply collecting them for pleasure. We often buy pens without thinking about it and end up buying pens that are not comfortable to hold and cause pain when used for a long period.
Choosing a pen can be tricky as there are a few things one needs to consider when buying it and the major one is the ergonomics of a pen. Before you look for an ergonomic pen you need to understand that not all pens are made for everyone as ergonomic when it comes to pens does not apply to everyone. The best way to find an ergonomic pen is to make sure it is easy to hold and comfortable to write with without putting too much pressure on your fingers and wrist.
When writing an exam, you might notice pain and discomfort in your fingers and wrist because a pen puts a lot of pressure on your bones, ligaments, and tendons which can cause Repetitive Stress Injuries and Musculoskeletal Disorders. This problem was observed by some leading pen manufacturers and created pens that allow you to write for hours without causing pain.
Here are some pens that can be seen as ergonomic pens and can be beneficial for you:
- Ergo Sleek Ergonomic Pen: This is a "Y" shaped pen which lets the user cradle their fingers in the pen without having to hold it with the fingers. This does not put any pressure on the hand and is very comfortable to write with.
- Ring Pen: A ring pen reduces the stress you put on your hand when writing. You slip your index finger through the pen and can write effortlessly without applying any pressure.
- Yoropen Ergonomic: This is the name of the company which has an ingenious "kink" at the end of the pen. This rest lets your finger in a resting place and does not allow your hand to slip when writing. It supports the hand and does not put any pressure on it that causes pain.
- Pen and Pencil Grips: These grips are effective ergonomic equipment that prevents your hand from slipping down the shaft of a pen and can be easily found on the market.
Benefits of Using Ergonomic Pens
Here are some of the benefits you can reap from using an ergonomic pen.
- Reduces pain and discomfort: A pen when being used needs to be tightly grasped between the index finger and the thumb which puts a lot of pressure on the joints and muscles that can create carpal issues whereas using an ergonomic pen reduces the stress from the hand. An ergonomic pen reduces the amount of pressure and amount of work put on the wrist and the hand as they limit the amount of pinching needed with a traditional pen.
- Helps in controlling health issues: An ergonomic pen is a blessing for people fighting with strokes, fractured fingers, rheumatoid arthritis, or neurological disorders.
- Better penmanship: If you are tired of trying to improve your handwriting but in vain then you should try using an ergonomic pen. Using a non-ergonomic pen can cause pain in the muscles that lead to messy handwriting but it is also important to keep in mind that no single pen is perfect for everyone therefore it is important to try several before deciding on the one you benefit from from from the most.
- Grip: Different people grip their pen in different styles, you can decide for yourself how you want to hold your pen as long as it is relaxed. An ergonomic pen helps you hold it firmly but without putting stress on your hands which does not put any strain on the fingers.
10 Best Ergonomic Pens for You
Here are the 10 best ergonomic pens that you can try and see which one helps you write without any discomfort.
Pilot Dr. Grip Retractable Ballpoint Pen
The Pilot Dr. Grip Retractable Ballpoint Pen is one of the best ergonomic pens you can find on the market. Ballpoint pens are easy to use as they are lightweight and glide on the paper easily. This Pilot pen is recommended by the Arthritis Foundation as it has a comfortable grip that does not put any strain on the hand. It is a sleek-looking pen with an elegant design and would make a great gift for a dad. It is retractable and refillable and has blue ink. You can find this pen on amazon.in for Rs. 1,647.
Schneider Haptify Ergonomic Ballpoint Pen, Black
Another excellent ergonomic pen for people who like to write is the Schneider Haptify ergonomic ballpoint pen. This is a rubberized tree-sized grip that gives an excellent grip and makes it easy to write for long. The steel tip of the pen supplies free-flowing ink that does not smear on the paper. The black barrel of the pen makes it look stunning. This pen is affordable and can be used by students who do not have a lot of money to spend on a pen. You can buy this pen for Rs. 275 from amazon.in.
Penagain Ergosof, Ballpoint Pen
The Penagain Egosof ballpoint pens are very smartly designed pens made for people suffering from arthritis or Repetitive strain injury. These pens are lightweight and provide a perfect grip on them that prevents your hands from sliding off while writing. The size of the pen is so that it can be used by adults or even by children while they complete their loads of homework. This set comes with 4 pens in colours black, silver, red and blue and has two refills per pen with it that makes it a great deal. You can buy this ergonomic pen set for Rs. 4,187 from amazon.in.
Pentel Energel Roller Gel Pen Set - Pack of 10 (Blue)
If you like using gel pens then you will surely like this Pentel Energel roller gel pen set that comes in a pack of 10 sleek-looking pens. This is a high-quality pen set that comes with gel ink that helps you write smoothly. It dries out immediately and does not smear or smudge. The pen is ergonomically built which lets you grip it comfortably with control. This is a great set to be bought as a gift for your college-going kid and you can buy it for Rs. 300 from amazon.in.
UNI-Ball UNSGP207BL3 Signo Gel Pen Set - Pack of 3 (Blue)
Another excellent ergonomic gel pen set is the UNI-BALL Signo Gel Pen that comes with 3 pens. These pens are made by experts and have water-based ink balls and a metal tip to give you effortless writing. The ink used in it is easily soluble in water and does not bleed on the paper. It is a lightweight pen and is made with a long and soft shaft for easy gripping. The pen is made to look very stylish and is quite affordable. You can buy this set of 3 pens for Rs. 278 only from amazon.in.
Stabilo Worker Rollerball Pen, Black
If you see your husband complaining of hurting fingers or hands then you might want to buy this gorgeous looking Stabilo Worker Rollerball pen. This is an elegantly designed ergonomic pen that is made with a non-slip surface. It has a .5mm point which is great for writing. The pen is perfect for professionals like writers, doctors who write more than others. You can buy this pen for Rs. 1,409 from www.desertcart.in and gift it to your husband. He will be thankful for your thoughtfulness.
Tombow Zoom 505 Roller Ball Pen
If you are looking for an ergonomic pen that would make your writing comfortable without compromising with style then you should check out the Tombow Zoom Roller Ball Pen. It was the winner of the International iF design award in 1990 because of its design and perfection. This pen is specifically designed to give you a perfect grip and a low center of gravity. The rugged aluminum body makes it lightweight and a simple but elegant design makes it a perfect pen for people who like to flaunt their style through everything they own. This pen is available for Rs. 1,450 on flipkart.com.
Pilot Kakuno Fine Nib Fountain Pen
Fountain pens never go out of style. If you are not used to using a fountain pen but want to try it then you can start with the Pilot Kakuno Fine Nib fountain pen. This is an ergonomic pen that gives you perfect writing without putting any pressure on your hands. The pen is made of high-quality plastic and is hexagonal but is very easy to hold and use. The pen comes in five colours and can be bought for Rs. 1,399 from amazon.in.
Lamy Nexx M Fountain Pen
Another classy-looking fountain pen for the most stylish person in the family can buy the Lamy nexx M fountain pen. The pen is made of aluminum, hard plastic, and has a rubbery coated plastic grip on it. The nib of the pen is made with high-quality steel. This is a very formal-looking pen and can be a great gift for your boss. The pen has a brushed aluminum finish that makes it look very elegant a perfect pen to show off with. It can be bought for Rs. 2,574 from www.lamyshop.in.
Pilot Uni Alpha-Gel Ballpoint Pen
The Pilot Uni Alpha Gel Ballpoint pen is to die for, well not literally. This pen takes writing to a different level. It comes with an excellent comfortable grip and has a gel that is famous for gliding on the paper effortlessly. It won't be wrong to say that this pen is an addiction and you can start this addiction by buying it for Rs. 13,610 from amazon.in.
Things to Know Before Buying an Ergonomic Pen
We have already covered the fact that ergonomic pens are excellent to write with but not all pens are made for everyone. You need to find the best one for you by trial and testing. You can also read through some of the tips given below to find a good pen for yourself.
- First and foremost, find a pen that is comfortable to write with. You will find many companies advertising their pens as ergonomic but actually, they are not. Therefore look for the one that provides the best comfort to your hands.
- Long, thick and balanced pens are known to be ergonomic as they are easier to grip on but you will find other pens which are as easy to write with. You might find pens in an hourglass shape and with chiselled contour lines with elegant curves. It all depends on what suits you the best.
- A pen's weight plays an important role. A heavy pen is not suitable to use for long hours as it puts extra pressure on your hand to hold it firmly. Try to find a pen that is light and easy to hold.
- If your pen does not have a good gripping shaft then it is bound to put extra pressure on your fingers and hand. You can find ergonomic pens with soft and cushioned grooves or with a rubber grip that does not allow the hand to slip from the shaft.
- A pen with good ink flow reduces the force needed to write. Most people like to use gel or rollerball pens as they are easy to write with due to the flow of the ink but now you can find some excellently designed ballpoint pen that does the job.
Choose Good Posture While Writing
As the saying goes, practice makes perfect, this holds true when practicing how to grip and use a pen! You must start with a good writing posture. No matter how ergonomic a pen is, if you don’t practice a good posture, you are susceptible to injuries, and other serious pain. Remember to sit up straight, keep your shoulders and arms relaxed and try not to sit for long periods of time, take a break occasionally (if you can)!