Tips on Bhai Dooj Celebrations
Significance of Bhai Dooj
The origin of Bhai Dooj lies in a few Hindu mythological legends, and is quite popular in Nepal and some other countries besides India. Celebrated on the last day of the 5-day long Diwali celebrations, Bhai Dooj is celebrated to honour the beautiful relationship between a brother and sister. According to popular belief, when Lord Krishna went to meet his sister after he slayed the demon Narakasura, he was given a warm welcome by Subhadra with a ceremonial tilak on his forehead, flowers and sweets, and this is how the festival came to be. While the first word represents the adoring address to a brother, "Dooj" refers to the second day after the new moon that marks celebrations. Bhai Dooj essentially honours the bond between siblings and is enjoyed with a lot of love, gifts and sweet treats.
Celebrating the Festival Differently
India being a land of diversity, festivals are celebrated differently in different regions and may perhaps be known differently as well, however the fervour and excitement is always the same everywhere! In North India, Bhai Dooj is enjoyed during the Diwali celebrations, while in West Bengal, Bhai Ponta is observed on the first or second day of the Kali Pujo festival. Bhau Bheej/Bhav Bij/Bhai Beej is celebrated by the Marathi, Gujarati and Konkani communities while in Andhra Pradesh and Telengana, Bhatri Ditya/Bhatru Dviteeya or Bhaghini Hastha Bhojanamu is celebrated. In Nepal, observed as the second most important festival after Dusshera, Bhaitika is celebrated on the 3rd day from the Tyohar by the Tharu, Chhetri, Newari and Bahun communities.
Strengthen Your Bond with Your Sister
Given the hectic pace of life, many of you hardly have time to devote to your families, let alone yourselves. And when siblings are married or away from each other owing to professional/educational requirements, it can be a bit challenging to stay in touch regularly. However with just a little bit of initiative, you can bridge all these gaps. Try staying connected with your sister virtually if distance and time are a constraint. With technological advancements keeping in touch is so easy and strengthens your bond with your family and friends as well. Be mindful of the special days in each other’s lives and make your sister feel special by sending her gifts or organising things she likes, even when you aren’t there to do it for her. If ever there comes a time when your sister needs you, be it during a family conflict or a health challenge or a professional upheaval, be there for her, counsel her, talk to her, so that she knows she isn’t alone. Steer clear of any family politics regarding property issues, disputes or difference of opinion. Ensure your bond with each other is always over and above any family conflicts or issues.
Bhai Dooj Messages From Brother to Sister
Top 5 Messages for Your Sister
Bhai Dooj Wishes
Here are some beautiful wishes to celebrate a bond of love with your sister:
- You’ve always been there for me through thick and thin. You’ve been my strength and I feel truly blessed to have you for a sister. Today on Bhai Dooj, I wish nothing but the best for you and pray for a wonderful life for you, my sister. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- Here’s wishing the best of life to you, may God bless you with health, wealth, good fortune, success and happiness always. For all your love and support, thank you and wish you a very happy Bhai Dooj.
- We may have different families and different priorities now in life, but our bond with each other will always remain strong, dear sister. We have grown old in time but our love for each other has only evolved and we understand each other much better now. You are my friend for life and I promise to be yours till the end of mine. On Bhai Dooj I wish you all the happiness and love your heart can hold and more, my sister.
Siblings are there for each other, providing support through life’s ups and downs and as buddies, laughing and enjoying the merry days. Here are a mix of pensive to witty quotes that celebrate your connect with your sister:
- You’re not only my sister but also my best friend. But if you think otherwise, remember I know all your secrets too! Happy Bhai Dooj.
- A little sister is the only person you can blame for things you do and get away with it! Thank you for saving me from mum’s wrath and dad’s whack so many times. Happy Bhai Dooj sis.
- From our crazy family tree, we are the only nuts who survived it all together! If you ever trip and fall in life, I’ll be there to help you back up, after I quit laughing! Happy Bhai Dooj.
- For me, you’ll always be an angel sis, one who’s brought out the best in me. You’ve made the hard times easier to live through and easy times so much more fun and exciting. I love you. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- We have had some really awesome moments and beautiful memories together. Our inside jokes, our own catchy phrases, our bag of pains and bundles of joy. I can’t think of anyone else who can make a better friend than you, thank you for being my sister and my soul mate. Happy Bhai Dooj.
Siblings are a blessing, for not only are they family but can be great friends too! To know that there’s someone you can rely on, who knows you in and out closely and hold you strong in times of distress, someone who’s family and confidante at the same time, sisters are all of that and more! Here are some inspiring messages of love and endearment for your sister on Bhai Dooj:
- One of the best gifts life has given me is you my dear sister. Mom once said to me, "Be nice to your sister. You’ll have many people in your life, friend who will come and go too, but your sister will always be with you. And someday, she will be your best friend.” And that is so true. You’ve been my strength and pillar of support in so many ways. You’ve lifted my spirits when I was down, made me laugh with your silly antics and strengthened my belief in myself. For that I will always be grateful and I promise to be there for you forever too. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- Sweet is the voice of a sister in times of despair. Sisters love you from the heart and no matter how much you fight with them, they never grow apart! A sister is one joy in life you cannot take away, for once she enters your life, she’s there to stay. A gift for your heart, a golden thread to your life’s purpose and a friend for your spirit, a sister is a forever friend. Happy Bhai Dooj sis.
- When travelling on the roads less travelled in life, it’s good to have a sister’s hand to hold onto. There’s no better friend than a sister and there’s no better sister than you! Happy Bhai Dooj.
- A pillar for the family, a piece of my heart. A part of my life, you’re not just my sister, but my best friend for life! You’ve always been and you always will be. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- A sister is someone who understands and knows the way you feel. Her care is so true and concern so real…she’s someone who’s walked your path and knows you well. She has seen you cry and her heart too would bleed. Everyone should have a sister like that, just like I do. For, I’ve been blessed greatly to have a sister like you. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- Dear Sis, we’ve travelled life’s journey together, you and me. Sharing the joys of life, keeping each other company. There were lots of happy times as there were times of tears too, but we always had each other to lean on and make it through. No matter where life leads us now, know this is true, there’s nowhere else I’d like to be than down the road with you. Happy Bhai Dooj.
- For years we’ve shared our lives, our family under one roof. We laughed and cried together, through many a storm and thunder. Our younger days are past us and we may have gone our separate ways, but the memories of our yesteryear are forever etched in my mind and have a special bond of love that only we share. Today, we may not be together the way we used to be, but we share a special bond that’s so dear to me. You’re the greatest gift mom and dad gave me. Happy Bhai Dooj.
Depending on how your relationship has been with your sister, the bond between siblings can be exasperating or adoringly special! From having a weird vibe of aggravating you to using all her might to make you smile when you’re down and out to loving you fiercely and loyally, sisters can be your best friend and confidante like no other. Need a special way to wish your sister on Bhai Dooj, get some celebratory messages and wishes here to brighten her day:
- Happy Bhai Dooj sis. I’ll always be your rock solid bro, just like you’ve been my pillar of strength!
- You’ve always been so sweet and we’ve had some really wonderful times together. Thank you for being so awesome and for being in my life! Happy Bhai Dooj.
- Like the twinkling lights on Diwali and the beautiful colours of Holi, your presence in my life is both blessed and beautiful. Thank you for being there for me always. Here’s wishing that our bond becomes stronger this Bhai Dooj. Happy Day!
- Time changes everything, but one thing that hasn’t changed is the love between you and me. May our relationship become stronger, happier and more unique in time. Happy Bhai Dooj sister.
Top 5 Gifts for Your Sister
Do you remember the day when she first held your hand and took you to climb the kitchen counter and reach the cookie jar? or when your mother introduced you to your little sister for the first time! It doesn’t matter if your sister is elder or younger to you, what does is the unconditional love and affection you both share for each other. Celebrate your sister this Bhai Dooj and gift her a piece of jewellery just as unique, beautiful and special as she is to you! Here’s a necklace set from Studio Voylla ethnic Chittor collection, a miniature portrait that’s hand painted and set amidst a beautiful array of beads and kundan work makes this necklace set no less of a masterpiece! Made in red and gold and styled as a classic jewellery piece, this necklace is made in a geometric design with red and white beads and gems and comes as a set of a necklace and a pair of earrings priced at ₹ 3,224.00.
A handbag is one item that’s not only of great use but also unique in the way its styled. There are ample designs that bring out a blend of tradition and modern fashion to the table. Depending upon which style your sister prefers or one that suits her personality, get her a hand bag which she can use either daily or for special occasions and be reminded of the beautiful bond both of you share with each other! Aldo Viremma Solid Black Medium Handbag brings in a perfect blend of style and utility and is a must-have in any woman’s wardrobe. Made of high quality synthetic material, it comes with a zip closure and double handle straps that make it easier to carry. With a solid pattern that makes it absolutely chic, this handbag has ample space to fit her essentials easily. Gift her this gorgeous buy from Tata CLiQ, priced at ₹ 7,999.00.
Decor items or show-pieces make any house look beautiful and brighter. From an assortment of antique clocks, to lampshades, frames or wall hangings, the options are limitless for gifting. For Bhai Dooj you can get your sister a personalised showpiece that will not only make her surroundings more stylish but also special, each time anyone looks at it! Here’s a crystal showpiece that you can get for your sister and personalise it with a picture of you and her or one that she likes the most along with a text to make it even more special. Measuring 80 x 80 x 80 mm in dimensions, this lovely crystal gift from Winni is ideal for gifting this Bhai Dooj. Priced at ₹ 3,069.00.
Petal-Soft British Rose Premium Collection Gift Set
Like flowers, sisters make life beautiful and fragrant with their unconditional love and deep affection. Celebrate your bond with your sister by gifting her The Body Shop’s Petal-Soft British Rose Premium Collection that brings with it the freshness and beauty of the English countryside with its floral surprises. Inclusive of a shower gel, body butter, body scrub, hand cream and a pink bath lily that’s made of recycled plastic, this Petal-Soft British Rose Premium Collection is enriched with the essence of England’s handpicked community trade roses. Priced at ₹ 3,355.00, the set comes gift wrapped in a luxury bow adorned gift box and you can order it from The Body Shop.
Homemade Chocolates Gift Hamper
Chocolates are everyone's favourites and if your sister loves them too, then you can get her a chocolate gift hamper that includes an assortment of white, dark and normal chocolates, store brought or homemade. Better still, get them customised for her in different shapes and make it even better! Priced at ₹ 899.00, here comes an assortment of homemade chocolates weighing 850 gm from Ferns N Petals in a beautiful patterned gift box, adorned with a golden bow that’s bound to bring a smile to your sister and warm her heart.
Bonus Tips: Not So Common Gifts for Your Sister!
It doesn’t take much to brighten up your sister’s mood or let her know just how special she is to you! With a small gesture from you and a little bit of effort that relays your love and affection for her, your gift can make her day on Bhai Dooj! And if you take enough time to figure out just what she likes, something that’s also exclusive and trendy, something meaningful more than it is expensive, then the smile you’d see on her face will be priceless! Here are some unique gifting options to explore during this festival season:
- Coordinates – Get a necklace for your sister that has hand-stamped coordinates on it as a reminder of a special time and place in both your lives, like your home. Even when you both live miles apart, this personalised necklace will help her feel closer to you.
- Cosy Knitwear – From getting her a long cardigan with pockets that has a relaxing fit and can be worn with anything when at home to a giant knit blanket that makes lounging at home comfortable, a cosy knitwear gift will leave your sister with a sense of warmth and security each time she uses it.
- Audiobooks – If she loves reading, then audiobooks are the latest trend in the market. Get her a gift subscription of her choice of reads or better still sign her up for audio-guided wellness programs. Even if she doesn’t find the time to read, she can just listen in to her favourites doing her daily chores or when working out!
- Mini Instant Camera – There’s always something magical about being able to click a picture and have it instantly! Let her enjoy capturing her moments of bliss with an instant mini camera and give out photos instantly.
- Indoor Garden – If she loves gardening but doesn’t have the space for it, you can gift her a self-watering garden which she can use to grow her own herbs and veggies! This can be kept on a kitchen counter, by the window sill or in the living room and is easy to work with.
- Funky Speakers – Take her back to the retro era! There’s a variety of classic Bluetooth speakers made of premium materials available in the market these days. With rechargeable batteries that can play for a couple of hours or more on full charge, their compactness makes it easier for the speakers to be carried along anywhere and they turn out to be compatible with most Bluetooth devices!
This Bhai Dooj Strengthen Your Bond with Your Sister
Festivals like Bhai Dooj give you an excellent opportunity to not only convey your feelings to your sister but also also to strengthen the bond which exists between the two of you. We hope this BP Guide would have helped you in deciding which message and gift you will select to convey your affection to your sister and spend some quality time with her to create memories for a lifetime. Stay connected with us for more such engaging content.